Thread: .BIN to .HPT Converter

Question .BIN to .HPT Converter

Greetings,

I am wondering if anyone has a method of converting a raw dump to a HPTuners file?

I have been writing to a 2007 Audi A4 (yes, it is now supported although unlisted [talked to support]). The reason I need this is so I can manually validate checksums, as the car hits limp mode randomly below 1K RPM (between 1-7 days) leaving the owner stranded. I am primarily an Audi/VW tuner and am confident the checksums are the issue. Purchasing User-Defined Parameters would not resolve the issue since the save function is what "corrects" the checksum.

Any help or leads would be extremely appreciated!

Tuner
    You will likely have to use winols or something to do the checksum, flash it with kess or similar to an ecu that has been programmed like yours then read it off wjth hpt I'm positive there is a way to do it, but none that are convinient. I know you can get efilive and import a bin there and if you have a matching xdf or whatever you can map it out and export the maps as a csv file, then tune that with ecm titanium, but you would still need to flash it using a kess or something to that effect then read it out with hpt. At that point you may as well stick with ecm titanium winols and the kess. Haha

Tuner
    Now that I re read it, the checksum isn't your issue. A bad checksum would lead to a bad flash if I'm not mistaken, and you wouldn't even make it through the flash, and even if you did, would likely leave with a paperweight for an ecu. If you want, pm me and I can look at the bin for you. Again, doesn't seem like a checksum issue. A datalog of what it's doing would be very helpful, even if it was from torque pro or something.

I appreciate the response RoninDusette! I pulled the tune after HPT flashed it on via MPPS and pulled it through WinOLS shows 60/62 Checksums were valid. The DTC that put the car in limp says Checksum Error, once cleared the vehicle returns to normal. I also realized the car is mapped out terribly with this software. There are approx 5 LDRXN's (boost maps) on this ECU, not one are mapped in HP Tuners..

They have said recently that they are testing the feature to import .bin files into HPT. I have no idea when it will be released.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by TewSlo View Post
    I appreciate the response RoninDusette! I pulled the tune after HPT flashed it on via MPPS and pulled it through WinOLS shows 60/62 Checksums were valid. The DTC that put the car in limp says Checksum Error, once cleared the vehicle returns to normal. I also realized the car is mapped out terribly with this software. There are approx 5 LDRXN's (boost maps) on this ECU, not one are mapped in HP Tuners..
    If you have table address information you'd like us to add please open a support ticket as we are always willing to add additional tables assuming you have the table address information.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    If you have table address information you'd like us to add please open a support ticket as we are always willing to add additional tables assuming you have the table address information.
    Support email sent, is there a possibility of importing bins again? This would make it a lot easier for things like this not to happen. My customer was stranded an hour away from his home and was really upset. He's not happy with having to wait for this to be resolved.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by TewSlo View Post
    Support email sent, is there a possibility of importing bins again? This would make it a lot easier for things like this not to happen. My customer was stranded an hour away from his home and was really upset. He's not happy with having to wait for this to be resolved.
    We have some things in the works for importing bins but currently no eta.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Banned
    Is the importing bins still in the works. I need help with importing a bin file into hptune?

Quote Originally Posted by Powerstrokecustoms View Post
    Is the importing bins still in the works. I need help with importing a bin file into hptune?
    I believe it's available now for a fee. It's somewhere on their website but I always have trouble finding it unless I use the link in their announcement.

edit: I found it. https://tunertools.hptuners.com/TuneTranslation/Costs
    Last edited by jr2185; 01-21-2021 at 06:58 AM.

Potential Tuner

bin to hpt

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    We have some things in the works for importing bins but currently no eta.
    are you guys seriously charging 50 and 100 tokens to convert from bin to hpt? and am i converting correctly, $100-$200 usd to convert 1 file?

Advanced Tuner
    Yes I believe that is correct, for the newer vehicles where each HPT file is linked to a specific controller ID/VIN etc.

Advanced Tuner
    Where do we buy these tokens? It says "tuner tools my account" page, I cannot find it anywhere.

EDIT. I did figure out how to purchase tokens

Still need an answer for the following.

Also, does this convert the entire .bin file or only what HP Tuners lets us see?
    Thanks
    Last edited by K44; 03-31-2023 at 12:39 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    No one knows?

Advanced Tuner
    Support told me that it's the entire bin-- both the OS/ASW and calibration blocks are converted. Never tried it myself though. Thought about it, but with the current pricing per file it didnt make sense.

Advanced Tuner
    It is a bit pricey, if it translates everything it might be worth it. All the trans tables and emissions. What scares me is a description that says allowable addresses will be identified, or something like that.

This

"The allowed addresses are address ranges that you are allowed to define parameters in. If you try to define a parameter outside these ranges, they will not import and you will not allowed to edit them."

Potential Tuner
    I am also currently having the same issue on my 2008 skoda Octavia mk2 vrs with a med9.1 ecu and ea133 motor the epc light and checksum fault code seems to happen after around 150km of driving without an ignition cycle it has been an issue since flacing my ecu. I have reverted back to the stock tune didn't fix it, re wrote my map after finding it was missing parameters that the stock tune had. Still no luck also talked to the support line who told me to disable the fault code you get the same issue but without a fault code i feel it may be an issue with the software but need to talk with hp tuners support about the issue its a real pain in the ass as i need to bring a computer and my mates dongle with me when i drive and constantly reflash the car. Fnetotuner is also getting the same limp mode and fault code.