Thread: New to Dodge, diving right in, just few questions

New to Dodge, diving right in, just few questions

Coming from GM vehicles. Got my wife a 2017 Charger 392 because its yellow. She likes yellow. Anyways, always been on GM vehicles. Been reading a lot about Dodge tho and have just a few questions to get me started. Car is stock, will remain that way until I get a grasp. Looks like the NN does all the work. Question about PE. It appears that it is fairly simple. Put it desired lambda, and adjust Inj PW vs Fuel Mass, and inverse table. Adjust until commanded equals actual? Is it that easy?? Ive read that that way might be ghetto but it works. Otherwise disable NN and tune full VE table and according tables. I will probably do that if I start putting parts on it. Until then, Ill let the NN do its job. Also, it seems these are Torque Based Controllers similar go GM Gen 5 Stuff. Is that an accurate statement? Thanks in advance.

Senior Tuner
    NN on and adjusting injector data if needed will be fine on that setup. I wouldn't consider it torque based like Gen V but more a basic percent power or aircharge commanded PCM with a torque model. You might hit an airflow or torque limit but there are few of them and there isn't complex modeling to them like GM has. The distinction between the two to me is nearly everything in the GM Gen 5 is based off a torque request whether it's Driver Demand or even idle it is taking the desired torque and using that to determine things like how much to open throttle body or if it should reduce timing for a torque reduction.

Most things Dodge seem to be simplified to just you want a certain amount of air (can be capped by a limit or just from percent from Driver Demand) and how much do you have to open throttle to give that amount of air. You can actually reduce the Throttle Body Airflow table and see an increase in throttle response similar to increasing the Driver Demand power percent because when it does the lookup for desired airflow it then thinks it needs more throttle to hit its target. That said torque limits can come into play on Dodge to cause limiting also but it's unlikely you'll encounter that without being able to easily tune around it unless maybe you get a big cam and need to reduce torque model down low

That’s what I was wondering. Didn’t know if I had to keep adjusting driver demand and torque tables to hit what I want. Thanks for the info.

Senior Tuner
    Thankfully not. Lol. I do some GM tuning also and have fought with keeping Gen V happy to get what you want out of it.