Thread: 4.8 w/ sloppy stage 2 help, COMPLETELY new to this! Just need a few pointers.

Tuner in Training

4.8 w/ sloppy stage 2 help, COMPLETELY new to this! Just need a few pointers.

Hey there all, Engine and mods are in title as well as ported exhaust ports, headers, 3" collectors to 3" y-pipe and 3" all the way back.
    I am completely new to this. This is my first time tuning efi and I'm a bit lost. I've done a lot of reading lately and it all has me confused as to what to do next. I just need a few pointers is all. I am going completely lean on throttle tip in. it idles damn good and puts around pretty well. anytime I try to go above 1200-14-- tho , it goes lean and stumbles, misses, etc. I am attaching a log and my tune. any help or ideas would be awesome for this completely confused dude right here! for instance, I can't even remember if adding airflow in my ve table will lean it out or make it rich! I've taken in a lot of info that is just too much!!!
    Thanks everyone,
    Anthony.

20-06-25 20-22-06.hplaroy 4.8 speed density 6-22 x3.hpt

Tuner in Training
    More airflow in the VE map adds fueling (lets the ECU know there is more air, and it delivers more fuel accordingly). You need to fix your enrichment settings, and provide a better log. There isn't much good information in it IMO.

you need a wideband, installed in an air tight- leak free exhaust. If turbo, wideband 3+ feet away from turbine. Don't overheat it.

Then, assuming u has wideband O2, connect it to HPtuners so you can log air fuels while driving.

This will let you make a big log, then stop and tune the engine while it is off. Then upload your changed and go again.

this is like 49% of the tuning process after dialing in the major stuff

Tuner in Training
    What do you mean by, "fix my enrichment settings"? I worked on my tune a bit today at break time. I drove it to work and loved it, then logged it to and from lunch. Today when I get off work at 4pm, I'll upload one of those logs. It's around 10-12 minutes worth of mixed driving, a bit of stop and go and a bit of 60mph cruising.

I have a wideband, it is connected to hp tuners via serial cable, and it is logging it. I've messed a bit with my ve table today. At first it was lean, then I went pretty rich, and now I'm working in dialing it in a bit more now that I know even a small percent change causes a pretty wide swing in afr's..

Honestly the biggest issue I'm having right now is that it hesitates, bogs, seems to develop a miss any time I'm trying to lean on the throttle more than just light acceleration. As said earlier, at 4 today, I'll upload a good amount of log. Thanks for the advice fellas.

I would do 50% throttle, 80kpa map enable and 1,400rpm delay for PE enrichment. Disable abuse mode as well.

Make sure fuel pressure is not dropping either.

Use your wideband to create a wideband error in open loop with no fuel trim controls so you can see where changes need to be made on the VE table.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Here is a couple more logs. The long one is from the tune up in my first post. the shorter one is from making tweaks to it all day on breaks and at lunch. It is getting closer, not near the hesitation and missing from earlier. I changed around my enrichment numbers to come in earlier and it seems to have helped.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    I guess I should throw down the tune from the short log...

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I would do 50% throttle, 80kpa map enable and 1,400rpm delay for PE enrichment. Disable abuse mode as well.

Make sure fuel pressure is not dropping either.

Use your wideband to create a wideband error in open loop with no fuel trim controls so you can see where changes need to be made on the VE table.
    I'm not sure how to create a wideband error in open loop. I've just been looking at my afr wideband map and using that to know where to add or subtract from my ve table. seems to be working ok...
    fuel pressure is not dropping, I have a gauge rigged to my fuel rail that i can see from in the cabin.
    check those enrichment settings in the last tune ii posted, I can't 100% remember, but I think I was Pretty close to those numbers.
    Thanks for your reply...

There is probably already an error graph/chart in the scanner you can pick. Just look for EQ ratio error.

All you are doing is logging the commanded AFR against the actual AFR and it will show you exactly how far off you are in a percent from the commanded. You then apply that error to the VE. Use paste special by half % and smooth the table after each change.

This is faster and better than eye balling it.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    There is probably already an error graph/chart in the scanner you can pick. Just look for EQ ratio error.

All you are doing is logging the commanded AFR against the actual AFR and it will show you exactly how far off you are in a percent from the commanded. You then apply that error to the VE. Use paste special by half % and smooth the table after each change.

This is faster and better than eye balling it.
    It's funny that you tell me this right as I was at a hot rod shop in town and the guy there was kinda walking me through it all. I was very confused at first because the values were in numbers instead of percent. So all I was seeing were a bunch of 0's and knew something was wrong but wasn't sure what until him and I were going through it. He said I've actually made really good progress, really quickly, for my first time. It's coming along, but I've still got some misses at part throttle... But no cel or misfire count that I know of.
    I will be doing a lot of logging tomorrow and working with the afr ratio error graph. Told the wife that the family would get much needed attention tonight instead of the car!

Tuner in Training
    So I've been tuning using real time, and then I realize that it doesn't actually change the tune. You have to copy and paste. My problem is, the values are significantly different between the real time tables and the tables in the tune file. The rtt table is in double digits values, ie- 50.00, whereas the tables in my tune file are in the tenths, ie- 0.89. when I try to copy and paste, the called aren't converted correctly and it makes my table in the tune go wacko, to something like 6.12... anyone know what the deal is there?