Thread: screwed up a tune...

Potential Tuner

screwed up a tune...

Id like to start by saying this car was running and driving(just not very well) before I opened the tune file and messed with it. I accidentally did something to the tune that now the car wont idle and my afr reader (innovate LM-2) shows very lean jumping around anywhere from 15.6-20.0. before I messed with it the car ran very rich. this is my first attempt with hp tuners, I thought I was prepared better but know now I know nothing haha.

this is what I was trying to achieve, get the tune to not be so rich all around, run speed density only(I have no maf sensor.)

this is the engine combo the best I know, 5.3 stock bore, stock deck height, 862 heads, BTR stage 4 truck cam, as far as I know stock injectors, long tune headers, NO MAF, IAT in the intake tube, intake is stock car intake, drive by cable throttle body, 4l65e with a maxed out(stall) torque converter I believe 2800rpm??

I was trying to follow goat rope garge tutorial on setting up gen 3 for speed density. I have gone back through his video and undid all the changes recommended to try and get back to the running state with no luck, I feel like because I accidentally save my first copy of the tune into the "sample tune" file. I feel like I may have accidentally loaded a sample tune???? that could be why the sudden change in running characteristics. Since I screwed up I have added almost 15% to the VE table to try and pull the afrs down

I tried to add the current tune and a small data log I was able to get, not sure I got them attached right. the data log does not have my LM-2 afr log in it, I haven't figured out to add that to the parameters yet.

any help is greatly appreciated,
    Chris
    Attached Files Attached Files

Set the MAF fail high to 0hz.

It should run with how the rest is setup. Though you probably won't get very far if they are stock injectors, a camshaft that size that can rev way out there is likely to put you past 90-100% duty cycle.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    addfueladjustment.hpt I adjusted the tune to how it was instructed in the goat rope video, first step like what you mentioned was to fail out the maf, also make it so LTFT wont activate and disable COT and DFCO. I tried to follow it to a T and the car just refused to run.

just reloaded the adjustments(everything listed above) and car wont fire at all now.

also the injectors may be larger??? I got this car secondhand and I haven't been able to identify what injectors are in it...
    Last edited by Hondatechcr; 06-26-2020 at 07:38 PM.

Potential Tuner
    So I got a little more info this morning, my injectors are stock LS1 injectors, and my intake manifold is a stock LS6 style.

Potential Tuner
    could someone please look at my timing tables and see if they seem correct? watching the log at what should be idle or just higher(900-1300rpm)the commanded timing is 36* which I think is pretty high, my ECT was only 104*F and IAT was only 84*F, I feel like if I pull some timing at idle it should smooth out or at least run?

I changed my injector characteristics to match a 2001 5.7 corvette since I have 28lb injectors apparently, I have not checked my fuel pressure yet but I am going to tonight.

the tune im going to attach is the most recent with all the changes in place to go speed density only. I feel like form all the info I have found all the changes are accurate and it may be my timing that is really preventing this car from actually running.

hopefully someone can help me out. thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Put stock timing tables back in if you think that is part of the problem. It will run just fine on that.

The rest is going to be air/fuel related. Too much air and not enough fuel or the other way around. Double check that you have no vacuum leaks either.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    little bit of good new, I pulled the spark plugs because I just kept smelling fuel and the engine felt like it had absolutely no spark to try and start. heavy fuel fouling, replaced with new plugs, loaded basically a stock timing table and stock ve table from a 2001 corvette 5.7L and the car fired right up. this stock ve table has drastically less fuel and idle timing is around 16-22* of timing, which is much closer to what I thought should be in there. still runs rich and needs the ve table adjusted but im just happy this turd started again. I added a log and current tune in the car incase anyone wants to see the changes vs the original post.currenttune.hptcurrenttune1strun.hpl