Thread: iGora!'s writeup on MAF correction

Advanced Tuner

iGora!'s writeup on MAF correction

On his writeup it says that the AFR Error should get closer to 0%
    Mine doesnt
    Plz explain

Unless were only talking about WOT

Senior Tuner
    When should it get closer to 0? Have you checked your MAF error? I completely ignored the VE table and just scaled the MAF to get the trims in line. Just the MAF curve adjustment gave me a full .5 second drop in the 1/4!
    I understood NOT to use the MAF to tune your WOT. That is for fuel adder. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
    And yes, your LTFT should lock in at 0 at wot
    Last edited by MMGT1; 10-22-2006 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MMGT1
    When should it get closer to 0? Have you checked your MAF error? I completely ignored the VE table and just scaled the MAF to get the trims in line. Just the MAF curve adjustment gave me a full .5 second drop in the 1/4!
    I understood NOT to use the MAF to tune your WOT. That is for fuel adder. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
    And yes, your LTFT should lock in at 0 at wot
    The Add vs Rpm table should be zeroed out, the Add vs Tps should also be zeroed out. Set the Base AFR vs ECT to 13.0 at all temps (for a NA engine)

Then rescale the Maf to get the actual afr to match the commanded. Since the V6 cars don't have an open loop table yet, only the wot (pe) fuel is set this way with a wideband. the part throttle fuel is set by the fuel trims only by recaling the lower freq end of the Maf table.

Russ Kemp

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    the part throttle fuel is set by the fuel trims only by recaling the lower freq end of the Maf table.

Russ Kemp
    under what frequency is okay?

Straight off Gora!s website:
    http://www.turbofirebird.com/Tuning/...3/Default.aspx
    Read line 3.6.5 its hard to read
    Mine doesnt get closer to 0. I have the AEM, so maybe its just not grounded good.

He is showing the AFR in closed loop, in open loop the commanded AFR will be all over the place when not in PE. And his last WOT scan is showing +6.3 and +7 LTFT.

So that is adding 6.3% fuel to bank 1 and 7% fuel at wot. So the commanded afr was 12.1 and the actual afr was 11.85. So if the LTFT was at 0 @ WOT like it should of been, the actual AFR would be 12.59 on bank 1 and 12.66 on bank 2

I just use the wideband to tune the Maf at WOT only from idle rpm to the max rpm that I want to rev to, with an A4 I use the VCM controls to command 2nd gear. With a manual trans I use 3rd gear.

Then you can see the Maf freq when you went wot, below that freq. use the fuel trims (with the stock O2 sensor installed or enabled)

Russ Kemp
    Last edited by Russ K; 10-22-2006 at 06:26 PM.

Also, make sure that you are filtering for your error. If you adjust the MAF in the lower frequencies, it can really mess with your driveability. I don't suggest tuning your maf in closed loop unless you are in PE full-time (or you really know what your doing...lol...).

Just the MAF curve adjustment gave me a full .5 second drop in the 1/4!
    Sorry, I don't understand this one. You adjusted your MAF and shaved a half second off your 1/4?
    Last edited by xonelith; 10-22-2006 at 11:32 PM.
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1

Advanced Tuner
    I just use the wideband to tune the Maf at WOT only from idle rpm to the max rpm that I want to rev to, with an A4 I use the VCM controls to command 2nd gear. With a manual trans I use 3rd gear.

Russ Kemp
    sounds like your talking about dyno pull?

No, I have a nice secluded area to do this on an exit ramp.

Russ Kemp

Advanced Tuner
    AFR ERROR % =
    [SENS.90]>2 AND [SENS.120]>9 AND [SENS.120]<16

is that enough filtering?

so DD WB use at part throttle is worthless

so how do you :
    the part throttle fuel is set by the fuel trims only by recaling the lower freq end of the Maf table.

Russ Kemp
    Garys writeup?
    My stock o2s are in, of course and 32k miles on em
    Last edited by slow6; 10-23-2006 at 01:35 AM.

Advanced Tuner

Russ Kemp
    so whats your low freq filtering for when you command 3rd, and go PE/WOT?
    how do you add up the different gear runs to enter in your edit?

Senior Tuner
    Sorry, I don't understand this one. You adjusted your MAF and shaved a half second off your 1/4?[/QUOTE]

My MAF scale being off was making the car lock in at -4.7>>>>trims locking in at 0 made my fuel delivery at WOT go from 50% to 56% at WOT. Was going WAY LEAN at WOT. When I was set like that(before figureing it out) went from a 14.9 cold(15.0 hot) to a CONSISTANT 14.5. What are you missing? You were there yesterday when I hit a 14.4 N/A(new MAF). You saw it for yourself!
    Last edited by MMGT1; 10-23-2006 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xonelith
    Sorry, I don't understand this one. You adjusted your MAF and shaved a half second off your 1/4?

My MAF scale being off was making the car lock in at -4.7>>>>trims locking in at 0 made my fuel delivery at WOT go from 50% to 56% at WOT. Was going WAY LEAN at WOT. When I was set like that(before figureing it out) went from a 14.9 cold(15.0 hot) to a CONSISTANT 14.5. What are you missing? You were there yesterday when I hit a 14.4 N/A(new MAF). You saw it for yourself!
    I saw it however I don't believe you shaved a half second due to maf scaling. There are so many other factors that got you from a 14.9 to a 14.5, not your MAF.

Changing your stock maf settings only gets your commanded = actual over the span of your RPM range, it doesn't really get you more power, just ensures that your afr's are consistent. The only benefit (someone correct me if I'm wrong) to making the WOT adjustments is for consistency throughout the powerband. To ensure that you are getting the same results across the board (ie instead of getting afr's jumping between 11 and 14).

In our cars with our setups, the stock MAF settings were pretty close.

Your trims locking in at -4.7 had more to do with your IFR table, IMO. Changing your MAF settings outside of PE, doesn't really do much since the computer is compensating all over the place (unless you max your trims at +-16 or whatever) to get to some desired AFR. It may have made a small difference to your trims, but it's inaccurate due to the adjustments made by the comp (again, IMO; someone correct me please or clarify)

That's all
    Last edited by xonelith; 10-23-2006 at 11:59 AM.
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1

Advanced Tuner
    russ k plz FTW

No filtering, just go wot from idle with an A4 (locked in 2nd with the vcm controls) or wot from 1000 rpm in 3rd with a manual trans.

Russ Kemp

Advanced Tuner
    I'm more interested in part throttle DD maf recalibration
    for better mpg

Quote Originally Posted by slow6
    I'm more interested in part throttle DD maf recalibration
    for better mpg
    You need to get the fuel trims in line by rescaling the low freq. end of the maf table in closed loop. There is no difference in mpg if your fuel trims are -10,-5, or 0. The O2 will always correct the afr to ~14.7 when not in PE. I lower the closed loop enable temp to 0*C and reduce the delay time for closed loop to be enabled (this helps mpg on short trips) so the car will enter closed loop at a lower ECT.

Russ Kemp

Advanced Tuner
    I lower the closed loop enable temp to 0*C and reduce the delay time for closed loop to be enabled (this helps mpg on short trips) so the car will enter closed loop at a lower ECT.

Russ Kemp
    any negative side effects to doing that?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by slow6
    under what frequency is okay?

Straight off Gora!s website:
    http://www.turbofirebird.com/Tuning/...3/Default.aspx
    Read line 3.6.5 its hard to read
    Mine doesnt get closer to 0. I have the AEM, so maybe its just not grounded good.

Is there anything I would have to change before following this write up? i.e. Copy low octane table to the high or anything in the PCM? TIA
    Mitchell

'04 Supercharged MC SS

MOD LIST
    Custom PCM, Ram Air Hood w/ Air box, Intense MPS w/3.6", R/T DP with Ubend delete & HF CAT, LC-1 WB, GMPP Cat Back, Jacobs wires, 180 T-stat, & an Optima Red Top

Advanced Tuner
    no, you just gotta make sure your WB is configured properly, so that it matches HPT

Advanced Tuner
    Ok, I went through the write up and made a .cfg file just like it said. Maybe tomorrow I will be able to install the wideband.
    Mitchell

'04 Supercharged MC SS

MOD LIST
    Custom PCM, Ram Air Hood w/ Air box, Intense MPS w/3.6", R/T DP with Ubend delete & HF CAT, LC-1 WB, GMPP Cat Back, Jacobs wires, 180 T-stat, & an Optima Red Top