Thread: MAF Screen

MAF Screen

What's the purpose, or any gain from descreening the MAF?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
    2000 Regal GSE
    2007 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Wasn't quite what I was looking for, and that referred to liquids, I thought MAF was Air flow. I didn't read that far to much like my engineering exams so I may have missed the answer for sure, but thanks anyway.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
    2000 Regal GSE
    2007 Trailblazer SS

I guess air IS technically a Gas......

2000 Regal GSE
    2007 Trailblazer SS

Think of air as a very thin liquid.

The sensing element inside the MAF is only sampling a small area of a rather large cross section of moving air. It's not reading the entire cross section. Without the screen, there will be areas that are stagnant, areas with swirl, areas with tumble, areas with reversion. If there is an inconsistent amount of air presented to the sensing element the resulting airflow reading from the sensor will reflect that inconsistency. (see: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post192680)

If you want more airflow capacity you need the MAF in a tube with a larger cross section. Making the MAF output junk data in exchange for a tiny theoretical increase in airflow is a bad deal, in my opinion.

(actually, if you want my opinion: toss the stupid MAF in the circular file and run pure speed density, it does everything just as well if not better than stock, and you can use any stupid-big cold air intake plumbing you want)

I get it, the screen forces the incoming air, in a sense, to be more consistent than if were just wallering around through the tube in what ever direction creating the inconsistency. I'm sure it is something that can be tuned if others have said they "feel they have", but I wasn't sure of the gain if any.
    Actually, when I started tuning my W body Regal GS, the 1st thing they said to do was to remove the screen.

2000 Regal GSE
    2007 Trailblazer SS