Thread: trying to get my new motor safe to drive (KR issues)

Tuner in Training

trying to get my new motor safe to drive (KR issues)

I have a new motor i am trying to get safe to drive and brake in before we put a lsa blower on and have a pro tune it. I am having a lot of knock retard. Motor specs: 5.3 with 3.810 inch ls pro forged pistons, gen 4 rods, tsp stage 2.5 heads, head studs, small summit cam 209/217 112 + 1 .550/.550 Lift, 1 7/8 long tube headers. I am having a lot of knock retard in some of the areas so far. pulled i think 7 degrees of timing in the cruise low load areas like .52-.08 cylinder airmass areas from stock. I just want to get it safe to drive to work on fueling for now. It does not make any mechanical noise idling or driving like something is actually wrong with the motor. This is my first heads/cam tune and my first tune from scratch. I have fixed fueling on a cam only tune someone else did for me but never messed with the timing cause it never had any issues. Comparing this tune to any of the other ones i have with just cams the timing is not a lot more then the others. I would like to have it just safe to drive until i can get to a pro after we put the lsa on it. i attached my log file and tune. Thanks for the help in advance.

cam tune 11 pulled lots of timing compaired to tune 10.hpt
    first maf drive.hpl

Tuner in Training
    Installed 160 degree thermostat and new tr6 plugs. Still will not take any timing at all. installed wideband o2 sensor and turned closed loop off and is not running lean at all. Runs between 13.8 and 14.2 cruising around and still has knock retard. I have no idea what is going on with it. is having knock retard at 1 degree of timing sometimes.

Advanced Tuner
    Personally if that is all you changed and this is the result then I would go back with the higher temp stat. You have reduced the timing which can actually create carbon deposits and they can light off causing knock. Using too much anti seize compound acts as an insulator and can cause the plug not to transfer the heat to the head actually causing an overheating event, very common if too much is on the threads. The thermostat should afford you more timing not less but you have reduced yours a lot maybe trying to tame the KR but it could be making it worse due the more efficient cooling. The optimal firing end temperature is approximately between 500?C (932?F) and 800?C (1472?F). The two most common causes of spark plug problems are carbon fouling (< 450?C) and overheating(> 800?C). The plugs self clean above 450*C and if there are any carbon deposits at that time they may pre-ignite causing KR.
    You might want to pull a plug and look for carbon or a wet plug. Try some Boostane and see if you just have bad gas too.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Hondaeater; 07-06-2020 at 02:40 AM.