Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Having issues with tcc slip while commanding 0. 8l90 circle d triple disc

Having issues with tcc slip while commanding 0. 8l90 circle d triple disc

Ive been working with this for 10k miles trying to get my tcc pressure up enough to eliminate all slipping. Could someone please look at this log and tune file and tell me why im not getting the tcc line pressure I am expecting? I am stumped. thanks in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

well for some reason my log didn't work ill have to get a new one.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm following this thread for more information.
    2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing (733 whp)
    2022 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing (716 whp), 10.750 @ 134.77 mph
    2016 Cadillac ATS-Vs (eleven ATS-Vs in the 9s)
    2008 Pontiac G8 (first G8 in the 10s), 10.727 @ 129.87 mph
    2000 Bonneville SSEi (first 3800 Bonneville in the 10s), 10.711 @ 125.71 mph
    1999 Grand Prix GT (first 3800 FWD in the 8s), 8.902 @ 154.90 mph
    1998 Firebird (first 3800 RWD in the 8s), 843 whp, 8.991 @ 152.12 mph
    1998 Grand Prix GTP (first 3800 FWD in the 10s), 9.499 @ 145.13 mph

The worst is when I am trying to cruise in 6th 7th and 8th with little throttle. It slips about 10ish rpm. Commanding 0. When I give it a little throttle to accelerate slowly while still locked up you can feel it shuddering. Tcc line pressure does increase slightly but from what I see in my tune it should lock and hold 90psi. Yet I'm only seeing about 45-50psi in my logs cruising steady and maybe 60 when trying to accelerate slightly.

Tuner in Training
    I feel stupid asking, but consider it a free bump lol. EDIT: I had it open in basic and didn't realize

TTT
    Last edited by boostedmike; 06-29-2020 at 03:44 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by DENALI62 View Post
    The worst is when I am trying to cruise in 6th 7th and 8th with little throttle. It slips about 10ish rpm. Commanding 0. When I give it a little throttle to accelerate slowly while still locked up you can feel it shuddering. Tcc line pressure does increase slightly but from what I see in my tune it should lock and hold 90psi. Yet I'm only seeing about 45-50psi in my logs cruising steady and maybe 60 when trying to accelerate slightly.
    I can't see your logs obviously, but TCC apply speed doesn't allow for lock up in 5th at all. And your 6th gear lockup speed seems high for TPS.

Also looking at Driver Demand A, the requested torque values seem excessively high. As well as predicted normal increasing is all maxed out.

You should talk to your tuner

I have reached out I think he has been busy as of the the last couple weeks. The truck is about 6700 lbs on a 37" tire with the stock 3.23 gears. TSP 416 2.9 whipple custom spec cam (228/246 at .050 .650ish lift on a 116+4) circle d triple disc kooks 1 7/8 etc etc. Just thought that may help with the why and what of the tune. It was commanding 800 lb of torque and getting it.

I like that it doesn't lock until 6th keeps the truck very responsive. As far as the tcc line pressure what would cause it to not command what the settings are ?thanks for the help

logs

here are the logs. i did get in touch with ben he was just waiting on my logs. my fault on that. he has done wonders for my setup but we were cut short when my trans took a dump. im sure he will get as much as possible worked out. but to be thorough all opinions are much appreciated!

Also from these logs I deduced that my secondary low side pump was not kicking on. Found that the connector had disconnected from the relay so that explains the low side pressure drop

Tuner in Training
    6700lbs is one big mofo. I really don't know enough to say anything useful so don't pay too much attention to what I pointed out. I was just comparing to other 8l90e tunes I found on here and to the blue cat tool. Thanks for posting up though. This was a stock 8l90e?

No problem brother. Yes this was with a fresh oem 8l90.also worth noting I'm running the blue label fluid

Advanced Tuner
    Uh, something is wrong dude, and its not your torque converter. I'm in here looking for TCC issues and I'm not seeing them. +/- 5rpm slip is just noise. Then I look at engine stuff... Running open loop constantly. All of your misfire diagnostics, O2 sensor diagnostics, knock diagnostics, lean/rich diagnostics...tons of critical stuff is disabled.

Looks like you have a dead cylinder at the very least. Usually diagnostics would disable torque converter lockup during misfire, but whoever did the work on this gutted it... Run away from whoever did this.

Came to this party late...

Commanded TCC slip staying at 10 rpm slip or 0 , most likely never stay right on commanded but close too it!!
    Why it goes to 10 rpm slip when commanded to zero may indeed just be the OS (lots of background stuff we don’t have access too) but 10 rpm slip is very minor!

Regarding the engine tune, looks solid (I guess I would know right????)
    Bad o2 sensor so Open loop was the only option, Of course at that point none of the 02 sensors diag is needed nor do I want a light for sensors that are not active! Lab grade NTL sensor I trust fairly good .

CAMS WITH decent overlap always disable misfires, if not you’ll be getting a call in intermediate future to why the vehicle has a flashing check engine light. Knock is never disabled lol, only skewed.

Dead cylinder? Lord pretty sure we would fee that lol

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

I have to agree with ben the tune is solid the truck runs like a top. And cuts <4 second 0-60's despite the weight and 100lb wheel and tires

Advanced Tuner
    I have to agree with ben the tune is solid the truck runs like a top. And cuts <4 second 0-60's despite the weight and 100lb wheel and tires
    I messaged him, he had a lot of that left in 'cal only' mode... As a final product, that would raise a ton of red flags lol. Anyway, carry on.

faulty converter

yeah I still have a bad 02 sensor so no closed loop yet. thanks for checking with him.

now get this. im very sure at this point there is and always has been an issue with my circle d converter. Using the tcc on off switch in the scanner I commanded lock and the pressure jumped straight to 594psi and held it constant. the log speaks for itself check out right about 19:32:54 when I hit the switch.

Advanced Tuner
    yeah I still have a bad 02 sensor so no closed loop yet. thanks for checking with him.

now get this. im very sure at this point there is and always has been an issue with my circle d converter. Using the tcc on off switch in the scanner I commanded lock and the pressure jumped straight to 594psi and held it constant. the log speaks for itself check out right about 19:32:54 when I hit the switch.
    Why are TCC adapts still enabled?

they aren't that's the crazy thing. heres the current tune that was in the truck when that log was taken. thanks

Advanced Tuner
    they aren't that's the crazy thing. heres the current tune that was in the truck when that log was taken. thanks
    TCC adapt is still enabled. Your normal driving conditions meet the trans temp, TPS, torque and VSS criteria. Turn the trans temp min up to 240 or something. If you don't, you risk the TCC slip learn going intrusive and causing slip to try and complete the adapt procedure.

should I try to turn if off with the trans temp limits and see if it acts differently?