Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making your, at least 05-06 545RFE into a 6 speed and accessing files with your HPT

Making your, at least 05-06 545RFE into a 6 speed and accessing files with your HPT

This thread is for, at least, those folks that have the early (05-06) 545RFE transmission in "probably" any Chrysler platform that uses this transmission that IS NOT supported by the HP Tuner, and most likely won't ever be. With the help of one of our newer forum members, caulk04 I've done this mod. to my somewhat modified 06 5.7 Hemi Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (see signature below). I have replaced the NGC3 PCM/TCM in the 06 with one out of an 08 5.7 Hemi Jeep equipped with an NGC4 PCM/TCM that is supported by the HPT.

It is a relatively easy swap. I picked up a used 08 Jeep PCM/TCM, P/N 05150258AC, operating system P/N 05187311AI and installed it in my 06 Jeep. I can now, after expending 2 credits, access and modify the transmission files in my 06. I have just begun to start messing with it, with caulk04's help, since he knows more about the operation of the 08 unit than I do. So far, I've made the 5 speed into a 6 speed by inserting 2P into the shift schedule (requires just a flip of a switch in the files) and have started tinkering with the rest of the up/down shift schedules, torque management settings and, hopefully, the torque converter slip settings. Once you pick up an 07-08 PCM/TCM, all that needs to be done is to install it using the FSM procedures, change the vehicle VIN and PCM odometer reading to those in your original PCM/TCM, clear a bunch of codes and, hopefully you'll be on your way.

I also have two Hemi LX's with NAG1 transmissions and, I will say that setting up the 545RFE will be a lot more difficult than with the NAG1's, because almost all the tables, histograms and item headings are considerably different and there is a lot of other stuff that I don't understand or am not familiar with. Hopefully, some folks that are more knowledgeable than I (that doesn't take much) will be able to figure them out and post them up so we can all finally get our 05-06's to work the way they should.

My thanks again to, caulk04 for giving me the huevos to attempt to this mod. Without his input, I'd still be procrastinating about whether or not I should try it and/or whether or not it would work. Let's all work together on this and maybe we can make these 545RFE's work almost as good as we can the NAG1's.
    Last edited by HemiX2; 06-29-2020 at 02:48 PM.
    Two (now Three) Hemi's, an 05 5.7 Magnum, an 06 300C SRT8 and an 06 5.7 Jeep Grand Cherokee, all somewhat modded. The 5.7's are modded almost the same with advanced (10* for Maggie and 6* for the Jeep) FRI Sidewinder cams/6.1 valve trains, ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SC, DS and HP Tuners, headers, cat. backs, underdrive pulleys, SOS coils, catch cans, 90 mm throttle bodies, plus a bunch of cosmetic stuff. 06 300C SRT8, Comp. Cammed, HPT tuned, Foose wheels, 85 mm TB.

Tuner in Training
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-for-the-65RFE

This thread did a lot for me in getting comfortable with most of what's in there for tables and giving me some direction. Another user here (Jim P) did help me understand more of it as well which I'm grateful for.

The one thing I wish HPT supported in these NGC4 RFE's is complete lockup control. I've got an open case with them which they say they're looking into, but in normal automatic mode I cannot command the TCC to lock in 3rd (1:1) or below. I've looked at the tune files for newer controls and there are a bunch more visible tables for unlock-partial and partial-full lock which I think would be handy.

This is very interesting to me.... I'm interested in attempting this mod on an 04 Ram 4x2. With that being said, are there any 08 NGC4 PCM/TCM units out there that are for 4x2 GC's, or will I have to get a 4x4 unit and turn off those options? I'm very new to trans tuning, but experienced with HPT on M6 Challenger applications. Lastly I'm hopeful that the NGC3 to NGC4 swap is pretty much plug and play. If it is, that will make swapping to the 06+ coils much easier as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DakBuilder View Post
    This is very interesting to me.... I'm interested in attempting this mod on an 04 Ram 4x2. With that being said, are there any 08 NGC4 PCM/TCM units out there that are for 4x2 GC's, or will I have to get a 4x4 unit and turn off those options? I'm very new to trans tuning, but experienced with HPT on M6 Challenger applications. Lastly I'm hopeful that the NGC3 to NGC4 swap is pretty much plug and play. If it is, that will make swapping to the 06+ coils much easier as well.
    I am new to this too as, so far, it is just an experiment. It looks like it's going to work out fine though. I can tell you some of the things you'll have to do for sure and, at a minimum, what you'll need to get going. These items are all from my experience and/or my opinion.

---To possibly avoid more problems than you'll start with, I'd recommend you get a PCM from as close to the same make and model 2007-2008 PCM/TCM. I just did an ebay search, but I had a part number from a similarly equipped vehicle. I bought two in case I screwed something up. My plan now for the second one is to attempt some more "radical" experiments on shift and pressure controls. To answer your question, there are 07-08 4X2 Jeep GC's, but I don't know about the interface with items on the CAN C Bus. Maybe it's experiment time, after all that's what this whole thing is for me.
    ---My main reason for doing this is so I could get control of up/down shift schedules, as well as torque managmenet and torque converter slippage. I also wanted to gain access to the 2 Prime (2P) gear and insert it into the normal "Drive" shift pattern. This was the easiest part of the whole deal as, with the HPT, all you have to do is flip a switch. It does throw all the other shift schedules off though.
    ---On mine, everything bolts right in and all the plugs/wiring were the same, so that part is plug and play.
    ---You'll need to either have a way (such as an advanced scanner with these capabilities) of changing the VIN and PCM odometer, otherwise you'll have to send it off to have this done.....cost about $75-125.
    ---You'll also need the scanner for clearing the multitude of codes you'll get as the vehicle's CAN C bus tries to reject everything. This may be able to be rectified if you can get your hands on your vehicle PIN code. I tried unsuccessfully to get mine from the local dealer but this time they wouldn't give it to me, even though I had proof of ownership. I was able to get the PIN code for my 300CSRT8 about t months ago though.
    ---Regarding the codes, everything works as it should, even though the codes (mostly stored ones) are showing. It's more irritating than anything else.
    ---So far, any and all of the codes and possible issues are related to the 2008 PCM conflicts with the CAN C Bus. The items on this bus are, the ABS (no problems so far), PCM/TCM (minor code problems) and, in my Jeep, the Final Drive Control Module (FDCM)which is where my "so far" unresolved active code resides. The code is there, but according to actual use and scanner functional checks, everything works as it should. I am hoping that once I get the PIN I'll be able to cure it. On my scanner (Autel MS906BT) anytime the PCM is replaced the vehicle PIN is needed to properly set it up.

So far I've got the up/down and WOT shift schedules (now gears 1-6) working about the way I want them, but I am having some minor problems with pressure and/or torque management settings, as almost all of my light up shifts are a fair amount harsher than I'd like. I've even gone back to the totally stock setting with my shift schedules and it's still too harsh.

Is your Ram a Hemi? If so there shouldn't be any problem with the early to late coil changeover. I've done it on my 05 Hemi Magnum and it's just a matter of changing the valve covers, the coils and coil plug pig tails. There were no problems at all. The only reason I did this mod. is so all three of the Hemi's will be exactly the same......good for troubleshooting too. I also run Sultans of Spark (SOS) coils on the two 5.7's.

IMO, bottom line on the PCM/TCM over the the NGC4 one will ultimately worth it, if for no other reason than the extra gear in the shift pattern. As I said, everything works like it should and it's just the codes that come up for non-existent problems. I'll eventually figure it all out.....just takes time.
    Two (now Three) Hemi's, an 05 5.7 Magnum, an 06 300C SRT8 and an 06 5.7 Jeep Grand Cherokee, all somewhat modded. The 5.7's are modded almost the same with advanced (10* for Maggie and 6* for the Jeep) FRI Sidewinder cams/6.1 valve trains, ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SC, DS and HP Tuners, headers, cat. backs, underdrive pulleys, SOS coils, catch cans, 90 mm throttle bodies, plus a bunch of cosmetic stuff. 06 300C SRT8, Comp. Cammed, HPT tuned, Foose wheels, 85 mm TB.

I just posted asking about trans options for an 05 2500 5.7L .... and I'm going to be following this closely.
    My only problem is that I don't have a scanner that can change anything. just a basic innova 3100j

So not only am I wondering if this will work with my truck, but also if that FDCM code will ever be resolved.

Ideally I'd like to have access to my transmission functions, but I also really want to have a code free vehicle, even stored if that's at all possible.

I'm pretty disappointed by all this tbh, because I have an old model flashpaq that can do the advance trans tuning, but the damn thing doesn't work on my 05 because it needs a calibration file and I can't get one because the flashpaq I have was discontinued like 10 years ago so they won't support it.
    I guess the software on my truck is newer than the flashpaq?

I've been curious if my truck has previously been tuned in anyway since I have larger tires, but I'm also wondering if maybe a dealership could reflash my PCM with the original software and if that would get my flashpaq working.
    however, this unit might also only be compatible with a 2500 with a 5.9 ..... I'm not sure I've seen the 5.7L listed.

Advanced Tuner
    Get a new flashpaq, sell your old one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263034309814

Quote Originally Posted by spoolboy View Post
    Get a new flashpaq, sell your old one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263034309814
    I've spoken with SC about it, and they've told me the other models do not have the advance trans tuning.
    I'm not looking to just change my 1-2 shift from X rpm to Y rpm, I want to be able to change the entire schedules like I could do on my 2004.
    The other problem being that while it may work for those years/trucks/etc, the fine print is that "not all options available for all years" so buying a newer flashpaq most likely isn't going to do anything for me at all.

LOL the only thing SC has for my truck is a DashPaq, and nothing offers the advance trans tuning.

Why are these transmissions excluded? What changed between 2004 and 2005 to make 2005 such a bad year for it??
    Most of what I'd read before buying my 2005 said that the 05's were the most tunable. Apparently that was wrong. maybe it's beucause it's a 2500 but how would that make any difference in the computer?
    Last edited by Killavolt; 08-16-2020 at 09:30 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    You can try SCT or Syked...

Quote Originally Posted by spoolboy View Post
    You can try SCT or Syked...
    I'm pretty sure I contacted them and didn't hear anything back.

At this point I'm almost desperate lol. All I really wanted is to be able to have access to the shift schedules and tune my transmission.

I am going to keep an eye on this thread though because I'm wondering if a PCM from like an 08 ram would work the same as mentioned in this thread for the Jeep. it's still a 3rd gen PCM.
    but according to the supported vehicles list that might not even work.

Honestly, what's so different in the programming between a 1500 and 2500?

EDIT

HAHAHAHAHAHA SCT only offers a gauge pillar pod for my truck lmfao......see what I mean? this is just getting ridiculous now.
    Last edited by Killavolt; 08-16-2020 at 02:24 PM.

How did you determine what PCM you needed? did you compare pinouts?

I'm considering doing this if the problems/codes can be resolved, but I was thinking of going with a 2007 PCM from a dodge truck....not sure how different that would be from my 2005 though.

How do you determine which controller you have, NGC3/NGC4?
    Last edited by Killavolt; 08-17-2020 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killavolt View Post
    I just posted asking about trans options for an 05 2500 5.7L .... and I'm going to be following this closely.
    My only problem is that I don't have a scanner that can change anything. just a basic innova 3100j

So not only am I wondering if this will work with my truck, but also if that FDCM code will ever be resolved.

Ideally I'd like to have access to my transmission functions, but I also really want to have a code free vehicle, even stored if that's at all possible.

I'm pretty disappointed by all this tbh, because I have an old model flashpaq that can do the advance trans tuning, but the damn thing doesn't work on my 05 because it needs a calibration file and I can't get one because the flashpaq I have was discontinued like 10 years ago so they won't support it.
    I guess the software on my truck is newer than the flashpaq?

I've been curious if my truck has previously been tuned in anyway since I have larger tires, but I'm also wondering if maybe a dealership could reflash my PCM with the original software and if that would get my flashpaq working.
    however, this unit might also only be compatible with a 2500 with a 5.9 ..... I'm not sure I've seen the 5.7L listed.
    You'll need some sort of scanner that supports the procedures for a PCM change. I didn't look through the HP Tuner though, because I have two other scanners that support it. So, the HPT may have this function. You're HP Tuner should take care of some of the other things like the controller settings and shutting off codes, if needed.

On mine, almost all of the DTC's were mostly one time codes and stored not active. Everything associated with the various codes worked as it used to, but a few have kept returning. Two of the ones I finally shut off with the HPT are U0100, "Lost communication with PCM" and U0101, "Lost communication with the TCM and FDCM". As I said, these were always stored codes, and everything works exactly like it did before I changed the PCM/TCM.

You'll be able to access and manipulate the transmission settings with the later model NGC4 PCM/TCM.

I hear you on the "old" Flashpaq "Advanced Transmission Tuning Application" (ATT). 2010 is when I got mine and have used it continuously until changing over to the NGC4 PCM/TCM. I did have a problem with the ATT App. a few years back and thought I was doomed. I got hold of a good tech. at SC though and he worked with me, sending me at least a half dozen different renditions of the ATT App. until he found the exact one I originally had. I then reloaded all the settings from my hand written notes and all was good again. I would have for sure been buying a new transmission if I had to use the stock transmission settings with my mods. That's also one of the reasons I bought the HP Tuner and am doing this experiment. I figured that I may not be as lucky if there is a next time. Now it's not a problem as everything is backed up with the HPT.

I don't think a dealer has messed with you PCM/TCM otherwise your Flashpaq probably would not work. The Flashpaq makes a copy of the "stock" tune before it loads one of theirs and if it has changed (due to the dealer flash or ??) and you try to use the tuner, it will go into lockdown and you'll have to spend $100 or so to get it reset. Actually, I am not too sure they'll even do that anymore.....may just tell you it's no longer supported and to buy a new tuner.
    Last edited by HemiX2; 08-22-2020 at 06:24 PM.

How did you determine what PCM you needed? did you compare pinouts?

I'm considering doing this if the problems/codes can be resolved, but I was thinking of going with a 2007 PCM from a dodge truck....not sure how different that would be from my 2005 though.

How do you determine which controller you have, NGC3/NGC4?
    I had been thinking about this for a long time....since I discovered that the HP Tuner didn't cover the 05 545RFE's. I did a thread on another forum asking if anyone knew how to access 2P (on the 05's) other than on a forced down shift. One of the guys (caulk4), who is now on this forum has an 08 and told me the stock 08's could access it in the "autostick" up shift mode and on forced down shifts. After he bought his HPT, he also discovered the switch that inserts 2P into the standard up shift schedule, thereby making it into a 6 speed transmission. That's when I started this quest.

HIs 08 is similarly equipped to my 06 Overland and the PCM/TCM's both looked to be exaclty the same.....size, number of plugs, similar part numbers, etc. He sent me pictures of his and everything looked to be identical. I then ordered two used 08 PCM/TCM's with his part number and compared the plug wiring. I didn't do a complete pinout though.....just checked wire colors from each and everything matched so I figured that Chrysler hadn't changed a thing between 2006 and 2008......and they didn't.

I think all of the 05's and some of the 06's in DCX's (at the time) lineup had NGC3 PCM's. Both my 05 and 06 LX's have NGC3 controllers, and I know those are interchangeable with the later NGC4's, similar to what I am trying here. On those though, there is not much need to change them because both are all covered by the HPT. Probably about the only advantage would be bus speed which I have definitely noticed on the Jeep's NGC3 to NGC4 units.

I would try to stay with a similarly equipped later model vehicle's PCM/TCM for your 05. My guess would be like on the Jeeps....07 and 08 more than likely. You'd just have to verify that they're NGC4's, check the wire colors for the plugs. You should be able to research part numbers on line and also whether they're NGC3 or NGC4's.
    Last edited by HemiX2; 08-22-2020 at 06:20 PM.

I'll expand on the replies a little later, but as for my flashpaq....it doesn't work.

it goes through some downloading process and then just says that it doesn't have a calibration file for my truck. basically stating that my trucks software is newer than my flashpaq supports. the ONLY thing I can do with my flashpaq is change tire size.

I did speak to Rich at superchips, and he was less than helpful telling me that I need a new tuner and trying to sell me a dashpaq.

not sure if I mentioned it here but I'm thinking of just trying to find an "older" 05 PCM for my truck.

one idea that I have is to find an 05 PCM that does work with my flashpaq. If that's a thing that would work then I can use the flashpaq for trans tuning, and "stack" tuners, using HP or diablo or something for a custom tune.

so make all the changes with diablo/HP, then go in and do trans tuning with the old flashpaq.

This would be my ideal method as I really don't want to mess around with all the CAN C bus problems, or codes etc.

You have me curious, since you say you disabled the PCM communication codes that were stored, what would happen in the future if the PCM really did lose communication? Then it might be hard to track down the problem if it can't throw those codes.

I'll expand on the replies a little later, but as for my flashpaq....it doesn't work.

it goes through some downloading process and then just says that it doesn't have a calibration file for my truck. basically stating that my trucks software is newer than my flashpaq supports. the ONLY thing I can do with my flashpaq is change tire size.

I did speak to Rich at superchips, and he was less than helpful telling me that I need a new tuner and trying to sell me a dashpaq.

not sure if I mentioned it here but I'm thinking of just trying to find an "older" 05 PCM for my truck.

one idea that I have is to find an 05 PCM that does work with my flashpaq. If that's a thing that would work then I can use the flashpaq for trans tuning, and "stack" tuners, using HP or diablo or something for a custom tune.

so make all the changes with diablo/HP, then go in and do trans tuning with the old flashpaq.

This would be my ideal method as I really don't want to mess around with all the CAN C bus problems, or codes etc.

You have me curious, since you say you disabled the PCM communication codes that were stored, what would happen in the future if the PCM really did lose communication? Then it might be hard to track down the problem if it can't throw those codes.
    On all three of my vehicles I've started with Diablosport 91 or 93 octane engine tunes and modified transmission settings. I first back up the stock settings and after loading the modified DS tune, I back it up and the use the DS Tuner to remove it so I can use it on my other vehicle (I also have two LX's). This way I can use one tuner on both vehicles. Anyway, after I have everything backed up then I start manipulating both engine (mostly timing and fuel and a little air flow) and transmission (shift schedules, torque management settings and hopefully torque converter slip) settings. I'll do as many as 2-3 changes at a time, try them out and keep doing slight changes until I have it the way I want. I will say that the transmission tuning for the Jeep is a lot different and more difficult than for the NAG1's in the LX's. The LX's are cake compared to the WK's. I have confidence that 'll eventually figure it out though. After "the mystery book" comes out, I'll see what the HPT owner's reviews are like and if they're good, I'll pick one of those up to hopefully help me figure it all out. Not knowing what some of the stuff is or which numerical ranges (up or down) change some of the settings, all I can do is very time consuming trial and error.

As far as disabling some of the codes goes, if I actually lost communication with the PCM, TCM or FDCM, the engine, transmission and 4WD low for sure wouldn't work. I am almost positive that these are just some problem with the controller settings or ???? For now, I just got tired of looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't seem to affect the operation of the vehicle. It's also real easy to turn the codes back on, if need be.
    Last edited by HemiX2; 08-25-2020 at 09:29 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    If in doubt, multiply everything by 1.1.

Sounds like he's got way too many irons in the fire. How can he do justice to all of them, even if he's working night and day at it.

Tuner in Training
    I just did this to my 2006 ram I put 2007 pcm and I now have all the trans tuning. I didn’t get all the codes you did the only problem I have is no cruise control for some reason.
    2006 ram 5.7 4x4
    90mm throttle body
    Comp thumper cam
    Mild port and polish on heads
    Full headers with off road y pipe 3? single exhaust
    8 speed out of 19 ram thanks to Sound German
    m112 supercharger

Advanced Tuner
    OK, has anybody tried a write entire of the later pcm trans file only into an earlier PCM?
    If in doubt, multiply everything by 1.1.

Tuner in Training
    What adjustments have you guys made in the tune file to account/remove the high idle on start up and any other idiosyncrasies? I noticed a lot of the idle adders are similar but behave very differently.