Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making your, at least 05-06 545RFE into a 6 speed and accessing files with your HPT

Tuner in Training
    Hi all

just trying to do some RFE tuning on a Jeep Wrangler 2.8CRD equipped with 5-45RFE trans
    It uses a standalone NGC controller for the trans.
    HP reads it, but after saving it does not open, fails to validate the file and load definitions.
    Emailed the file to HP support.

I tend to think it is an NGC3CAN, not NGC4. Original PN is 5094998AB (AC, AD.. up to AF)

Later model diesel JK with the same trans uses 5150267AC TCM - which is the same part across the whole Jeep/Dodge line of standalone TCMS for RFE trans
    Found this thread about replacing the TCM to unlock the options for RFE
    Any idea please?
    thanks
    paul

Tuner in Training
    update:

emailed my files to HP Tuners. The new VCM Sute Beta v.4.13.261
    now supports standalone 5-45 TCU from a CRD JK

Tuner in Training
    Interesting, I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty KJ 2.8 CRD that uses a similar setup to your JK I believe. I'll have to see if I can get them to add this TCM to their list as well.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by elementaltoad View Post
    Interesting, I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty KJ 2.8 CRD that uses a similar setup to your JK I believe. I'll have to see if I can get them to add this TCM to their list as well.
    not sure. KJ 2006 still used PCI bus for communication, with Bosch EDC on the K-line. but you can give it a try. If you do keep us informed please

Quote Originally Posted by HemiX2 View Post
    This thread is for, at least, those folks that have the early (05-06) 545RFE transmission in "probably" any Chrysler platform that uses this transmission that IS NOT supported by the HP Tuner, and most likely won't ever be. With the help of one of our newer forum members, caulk04 I've done this mod. to my somewhat modified 06 5.7 Hemi Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (see signature below). I have replaced the NGC3 PCM/TCM in the 06 with one out of an 08 5.7 Hemi Jeep equipped with an NGC4 PCM/TCM that is supported by the HPT.

It is a relatively easy swap. I picked up a used 08 Jeep PCM/TCM, P/N 05150258AC, operating system P/N 05187311AI and installed it in my 06 Jeep. I can now, after expending 2 credits, access and modify the transmission files in my 06. I have just begun to start messing with it, with caulk04's help, since he knows more about the operation of the 08 unit than I do. So far, I've made the 5 speed into a 6 speed by inserting 2P into the shift schedule (requires just a flip of a switch in the files) and have started tinkering with the rest of the up/down shift schedules, torque management settings and, hopefully, the torque converter slip settings. Once you pick up an 07-08 PCM/TCM, all that needs to be done is to install it using the FSM procedures, change the vehicle VIN and PCM odometer reading to those in your original PCM/TCM, clear a bunch of codes and, hopefully you'll be on your way.

I also have two Hemi LX's with NAG1 transmissions and, I will say that setting up the 545RFE will be a lot more difficult than with the NAG1's, because almost all the tables, histograms and item headings are considerably different and there is a lot of other stuff that I don't understand or am not familiar with. Hopefully, some folks that are more knowledgeable than I (that doesn't take much) will be able to figure them out and post them up so we can all finally get our 05-06's to work the way they should.

My thanks again to, caulk04 for giving me the huevos to attempt to this mod. Without his input, I'd still be procrastinating about whether or not I should try it and/or whether or not it would work. Let's all work together on this and maybe we can make these 545RFE's work almost as good as we can the NAG1's.
    Hi, how it's going with the mod 3 years later? I have a 2005 WK 5.7 HEMI with some problems that could be in the PCM. I have active P0100 error often only with hot engine and key in "on" position. Messages of "4x4 service", "electric brakes" "check gauges". And the engine starts but it stalls. Then if I put the key in "off" and start the engine from the "off" position without stopping at "on", everything is perfect, without errors... And P0100 is already "historical".

After reviewing and cleaning connections from CAN-C, I was thinking of change the PCM, and take profit of the change putting a 08, to gain the possibility to force 2P with selector.

I've read your post and I wonder if all is good or you had some kind of problem or error code after swapping the PCM.

Thanks in advance.

Just to clarify, the 05 and 06 NGC3 equipped vehicles don't need anything changed in the harness to accommodate the NGC4 controller?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by VPP1776 View Post
    Just to clarify, the 05 and 06 NGC3 equipped vehicles don't need anything changed in the harness to accommodate the NGC4 controller?
    No, you don't change anything. Just made a 07 Commander 5.7 NGC4 swap into 06 Commander, previously with NGC3. When the NGC3 PCM warmed up, the engine started to shut down from time to time with immobilizer lamp flashing and several other DTCs. The swap made all this go away. You only need to program the VINs (I did both original and current), and eventually reset all adaptables and do a trans quick learn.

It now starts better (faster and clearer) and shifts better (as far as I know, the shift points are different on NGC4). This brought a big smile on customer's face.
    Last edited by sparkybg; 01-18-2024 at 04:08 PM.