Thread: 14 tundra tire size

Potential Tuner

14 tundra tire size

14 tundra, have 36's. Gears should be the stock 4.30's.

Needing to calibrate the speedo. Changing the parameters in the speedo tab does nothing. I've changed tire size, gear ratio, from what it should be to absolutely bonkers.... does nothing, literally. 5-6 mph off initially, 5-6 mph off 6 tunes later.. I watched some videos to see just how incorrectly I'm doing this & they showed in the drop down menus a gear and tire size calculator...well, my software doesn't have that option. Now, I may not be a pro tuner, and the last tuner I messed with was Jet back probably 13 years ago, but... I feel like something isn't right here and I must be missing something important.

Also, when hooking up to the vehicle initially, I get the read warning "The data you just read isn't from your vehicle. Your vehicle isn't readable. The data is a supplied stock file. If you use this data to write your vehicle you will lose any existing changes your vehicle may already have." I understand that according to hp tuners this is just a warning and it's fine... but I'm wondering if this has something to do with it...? I'm wondering if that's also why I barely get any parameters to change.

Potential Tuner
    I've seen a bunch of videos of the older HPTuner software where there was a drop down to put in the metric tire size and it would give you the diameter of the tire to use in the calibration. But now the software wants the Radius of the tire which is a bit more confusing than just the simple 30.8in measurement... Just an opinion. Its also confusing when the "stock file" provided, for the Tacoma's at least, has a tiny tire size preset.

Potential Tuner
    See, I noticed it was asking the radius vs the diameter. 18" is what I put in. It's like it's just not making the changes or something. I reached out to HP tuners... I'm not exactly happy with the answers I got on VCM options, and they're looking into the files for the speedo change.

Quote Originally Posted by calhoub View Post
    14 tundra, have 36's. Gears should be the stock 4.30's.

Needing to calibrate the speedo. Changing the parameters in the speedo tab does nothing. I've changed tire size, gear ratio, from what it should be to absolutely bonkers.... does nothing, literally. 5-6 mph off initially, 5-6 mph off 6 tunes later.. I watched some videos to see just how incorrectly I'm doing this & they showed in the drop down menus a gear and tire size calculator...well, my software doesn't have that option. Now, I may not be a pro tuner, and the last tuner I messed with was Jet back probably 13 years ago, but... I feel like something isn't right here and I must be missing something important.
    Assuming you're referring to the cluster, the speedo information in the calibration isn't the same as the physical speedometer - unfortunately, you can't use HPTuners to get the cluster correct.

Also, when hooking up to the vehicle initially, I get the read warning "The data you just read isn't from your vehicle. Your vehicle isn't readable. The data is a supplied stock file. If you use this data to write your vehicle you will lose any existing changes your vehicle may already have." I understand that according to hp tuners this is just a warning and it's fine... but I'm wondering if this has something to do with it...? I'm wondering if that's also why I barely get any parameters to change.
    This is normal, you don't actually read the PCM on these like you would on some other platforms, HPTuners supplies the base file for you.

Potential Tuner
    if that's truly the case, I'm going to be beyond livid. even 400 dollar handheld tuners fix cluster speedo differences. This one claims to be able to do it..

Tuner in Training
    Subscribing, I need to do this to a 2017 Tundra that is at my shop atm.