Thread: New Feature Request

Tuner in Training

New Feature Request

Would it be possible to add these features?

1) When scanning during a road test, sometimes I'll notice some behavior I want to investigate. After completing the testing it's often hard to find the exact time where the incident was noticed. Would it be possible to have some key (space bar) drop a marker in the log if pressed during scanning? Then maybe have a way to search forward/backward to the next marker when examining the data.

2) Could some performance metrics be added like 0-60 mph, etc? Maybe allow setting of a timer with start/stop targets on a PID. Maybe make a special timer gauge for doing this.

Maybe there should be a sticky for new feature requests. I apologize if there is one as I couldn't find it.

Thanks for the already awesome tool.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    1. we have no eta for markers, sorry.
    2. almost impossible to easily implement consistently particularly for older applications that can have much slower frame rates than newer vehicles, there are many aftermarket phone apps that use gps to calculate 0-60 times that would likely be far more accurate than anything we could implement via the scanner.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    2. almost impossible to easily implement consistently particularly for older applications that can have much slower frame rates than newer vehicles, there are many aftermarket phone apps that use gps to calculate 0-60 times that would likely be far more accurate than anything we could implement via the scanner.
    Do you really think GPS and accelerometers from phones are more accurate than the speed sensors in vehicles? especially modern ones? (thats not supposed the be sarcasm/rhetorical question, i'm curious and don't know)

Also what about the accuracy of modern accelerometers in vehicles that are used for stability control? Would these be more accurate than a phone or a G-tech or draggy for the purposes of measuring end performance?

Tuner in Training
    I find the Dragy to be disturbingly accurate, you can expect it to match almost exactly with track timers.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    alot of people swear by Dragy, I've personally never used it.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

I would dearly love a quick-access LTFT reset button on the taskbar. Or keyboard shortcut. It takes a whole bunch of clicks to get to for something that needs to be done so routinely.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    You have been say ing that for years Bill@HPTuners!

Surely it couldn't be that difficult to put a Marker and comment function in the scanner!! Most the others do...

either of these aren't hard at all. I use Labview for things, easy to use PC time for time vs. MPH, however most speedo sensors are not accurate down low, at the start. However, the GM ABS system uses Undriven Wheel speed as an avail PID and is very accurate.

People have been asking for shortcut buttons on the main page for decades.. literally. Things like LTFT reset, FAN ON, IDLE UP, etc. Also easy to do.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Potential Tuner
    Didn't the marker feature exist previously? It's in HPT literature. VCM Scanner ver. 2.0 shows it was there. Attachment 118687Attachment 118688marker button 1.jpgMarker button.jpg
    Last edited by 69Yoshi; 03-24-2022 at 02:37 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I find my "activity" by looking for high rpm spots on the chart. So I suppose a poor mans marker could be revving it where you want a marker?

I too am interested in a good 0-60 dealie. I was eyeballin Draggy, which no doubt works when moving, but from experience with other GPS toys I wouldn't trust it from a stop. My guess is it would need to see a lot of movement before it registered as actual movement. My original assumption was draggy had an accelerometer as well, but apparently not, so i don't plan on buying it.
    '16 E550 Coupe RWD - C207.373 / M278.922 / MED17.7.3 / 722.909

Senior Tuner
    Yeah, the elusive marker button.

Since hp won't get a uni grad on free trial employment period or on there uni holidays at $20/hour to spend a day or 2 getting the marker function to work, a work around is to enable the Windows clipboard history. You'll have to Google how to set it up. Then just press the print screen button for your markers. The clipboard will have all the print screens saved that you can review later.

I wish hp would take useful user requests like these seriously. All it does by not doing it is make people bitter.

My wish list...
    Open up the serial port to allow custom logging.
    Markers & comments
    Conditional filters e.g. If open_loop then use_open_loop_equation else use_closed_loop_equation endIf
    Scatter plots
    Custom zoom

https://www.snapfiles.com/get/lightscreen.html

Install that, configure it to take a screengrab on shift+backspace. Or whatever other key combo you find convenient. It automatically saves the files to a directory you specify.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by hjtrbo View Post
    Yeah, the elusive marker button.

Since hp won't get a uni grad on free trial employment period or on there uni holidays at $20/hour to spend a day or 2 getting the marker function to work, a work around is to enable the Windows clipboard history. You'll have to Google how to set it up. Then just press the print screen button for your markers. The clipboard will have all the print screens saved that you can review later.

I wish hp would take useful user requests like these seriously. All it does by not doing it is make people bitter.

My wish list...
    Open up the serial port to allow custom logging.
    Markers & comments
    Conditional filters e.g. If open_loop then use_open_loop_equation else use_closed_loop_equation endIf
    Scatter plots
    Custom zoom
    I 2nd all of these. Seeing (+) knock on the "graph" tab then trying to find when it occurred is a little laborious .

If you have MVPI PRO, it is possible to set up a manual trigger input. Not hard at all.....
    I always tune VVE....
    2016 C7 M7 Z51
    Callies ultra billet crank
    Callies ultra billet rods
    Diamond pistons
    Jhonson high speed lifters
    Ported and polished headwork
    Custom cam
    YSi-V7

I've seen this played out in a few threads, so throwing my vote in as one of the many frustrated customers. If the simple "M" key for marker "C" key for comment feature USED to be a function in previous release(s) of the scanner, why is it simply not in EVERY release of the software? I was first just slightly disappointed to not be able to find it, but then when I read that it used to be there that was pretty upsetting. A very basic, helpful, and SAFER (for street tuning) function like markers should be there as default in EVERY release. Is there any reason I'm missing that it is not?

Quote Originally Posted by CaudleDynamicsLLC View Post
    I've seen this played out in a few threads, so throwing my vote in as one of the many frustrated customers. If the simple "M" key for marker "C" key for comment feature USED to be a function in previous release(s) of the scanner, why is it simply not in EVERY release of the software? I was first just slightly disappointed to not be able to find it, but then when I read that it used to be there that was pretty upsetting. A very basic, helpful, and SAFER (for street tuning) function like markers should be there as default in EVERY release. Is there any reason I'm missing that it is not?
    The reason is adding the feature back, wont make them any money. Spending their time adding new cars, and re-designing the interfaces ever so slightly, and having people upgrade them every year, will though. So that's how they prioritize.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CaudleDynamicsLLC View Post
    It would be really nice if they put this back in.. I wish we wouldn't drop features. I still miss being able to right click paste into tables without opening them and clear histograms while we are driving. RTT seems lost too.. I used to use that so often.. Seems like it hasn't worked reliably in years.

Not a bash of course.. just reminiscing.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

(C)omments and (M)arkers have been added (back) to VCM Scanner Beta.

While scanning, press C to insert a comment, or M to insert a marker at the current moment in time.

Comments and Markers will show up as vertical lines in the bottom scroll bar.

Currently, the comments you enter cannot be displayed, but will be displayed in some way in the future.

Note that this does result in a new log file format. Older VCM Scanners won't be able to open the newest log files.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...