Thread: 2011 CAEB k04-0064

2011 CAEB k04-0064

So ran 1 quick log tonight and had the same negative timing. Ned to log with vcds or ie logger 2moro to verify and then will flash back to my beta tune to get some logs with that.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    For what it's worth, you're not getting knock retard, so the timing reduction must be coming from somewhere else.

Keep in mind a small amount of negative timing can be okay, especially at low RPMs. Max performance comes with peak cylinder pressure at around 20 degrees ATDC and if the mixture burns fast and the engine is turning relatively slowly, you may need ATDC spark to make that happen. But you're at -9 degrees at 3000 RPM which seems like a bit much.

Actually looking at your log again I noticed something else: your actual load is higher than the desired load for almost the entire pull. I'm pretty sure these ECUs use timing as well as throttle/boost to control load, so it may be retarding timing to try and get the actual load closer to desired.
    Last edited by ELaw; 07-02-2020 at 08:04 AM.

ok flashed back to stock and ran a short log and tried to read ecu. still says control module cannot be read even with stock flash, as expected ecu wasn't overly happy as stock tune is for k03 and kept closing the throttle.

2020-07-16 stock tune log.hpl

tune file notice.png

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bb-tt View Post
    ok flashed back to stock and ran a short log and tried to read ecu. still says control module cannot be read even with stock flash, as expected ecu wasn't overly happy as stock tune is for k03 and kept closing the throttle.

2020-07-16 stock tune log.hpl

tune file notice.png
    Try this, i zero'd out wastegate so we can get an idea what your cracking pressure is

bb-tt-8K2907115AG_0002-0WGDC.hpt

Omg that is genius! Will try this weekend.

log with duty cycle zeroed out

Ok posting log for community knowledge

0wg file.hpl

Datalog-07-18-2020_wg duty cycle 0.csv

Tuner
    There are a lot of factors that go into this and I'm hardly the expert, but to me it looks like your wastegate is set too tight.

From 2,000 RPM to about 3,200, your absolute load is close to, but below, the desired load. But at that point it begins to rise, at 3,800 RPM it goes above desired load, and continues to rise. At 4,500 RPM even though you've still got it floored, the throttle closes quite a bit (below that RPM it's open 100%) and load drops down much closer to the desired level. I suspect the computer saw the boost increasing and decided the wastegate was not going to control it properly so it closed the throttle instead.

This is just educated speculation but from the shape of the boost curve, it looks to me like you might have an issue not so much with the wastegate spring being too tight, but the linkage not having enough travel and limiting how far the wastegate can open.

Quote Originally Posted by ELaw View Post
    There are a lot of factors that go into this and I'm hardly the expert, but to me it looks like your wastegate is set too tight.

From 2,000 RPM to about 3,200, your absolute load is close to, but below, the desired load. But at that point it begins to rise, at 3,800 RPM it goes above desired load, and continues to rise. At 4,500 RPM even though you've still got it floored, the throttle closes quite a bit (below that RPM it's open 100%) and load drops down much closer to the desired level. I suspect the computer saw the boost increasing and decided the wastegate was not going to control it properly so it closed the throttle instead.

This is just educated speculation but from the shape of the boost curve, it looks to me like you might have an issue not so much with the wastegate spring being too tight, but the linkage not having enough travel and limiting how far the wastegate can open.
    Thanks, I am very far from an expert but i was thinking it may have something to do with having a k04 being controlled by a stock tune for a k03? The k04 flows allot more air than what the ecu is programmed to expect. When i started having issues (after reflashing) not making requested boost and MAF went down from 320s to 260s and i couldn't find any leaks or other reasons decided to check wg preload. It was cracking around 4.5-5 psi, tightened it to 9 psi but could see that was to tight had barely any rod travel and disc was only opening like 10 degrees(guessing didn't measure angle) so i set it at 8 and it looked to have better travel and the wg angle looked decent again didn't measure but BW says you need about 30 degrees open for it to be effective. After logging was over boosting a little but nothing crazy and no throttle closure. Decided to loosen it about half a turn and do some logging and it looked better. 2 logs after loosening attached below hopefully someday the rest of the pids for our engines will be loaded so i can properly log with hpt. Hoping to be able to learn to tune this and build boost quicker than the ots tune. Probably not the best choice to learn on but it is what it is.

https://datazap.me/u/bb-tt/020-07-05...lo=5&mark=1810

Advanced Tuner
    not much of a tune but should at least stop the limp mode

bb-tt-8K2907115AG_0002-stockish.hpt

thanks just finished playing with vcds will load it up now

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ELaw View Post
    I'd agree with this, or maybe the wastegate is jammed? From the previously posted vcds log:
    Time (min:sec.ms),RPM (),Boost Spec (mBar),Boost Actual (mBar),Air Mass Spec (),Wastegate Spec (%),Throttle Position (Actual) (%),Throttle Position (Spec) (%),...
    00:22.3,4585.5,1890,2169.93,180.94,1.6,89.6,48.8,2 .25,0,0,0,0,202,95,43,0.734,0.715,-7.031,2.344,15000,14930,13.0,17.0

I think that 1.6 is your wastegate duty cycle, right? So you're showing 2169 mbar (~16.7 psi boost) with disabled WGDC.

Quote Originally Posted by mukhery View Post
    I'd agree with this, or maybe the wastegate is jammed? From the previously posted vcds log:
    Time (min:sec.ms),RPM (),Boost Spec (mBar),Boost Actual (mBar),Air Mass Spec (),Wastegate Spec (%),Throttle Position (Actual) (%),Throttle Position (Spec) (%),...
    00:22.3,4585.5,1890,2169.93,180.94,1.6,89.6,48.8,2 .25,0,0,0,0,202,95,43,0.734,0.715,-7.031,2.344,15000,14930,13.0,17.0

I think that 1.6 is your wastegate duty cycle, right? So you're showing 2169 mbar (~16.7 psi boost) with disabled WGDC.

That was a log of a file that Tyler zeroed out the WG duty cycle to get an idea how tight it was set. So yes it was 1.6 or "fully open" the entire run, meaning the N75 solenoid was not diverting any pressure only the spring tension was holding it closed.

Ok update copy of Tyler's stockish v2 and log

Still getting throttle closure ~5200 and 5800 rpm

and i modified today to v3 of stockish file still had the throttle closure but was much smother and not as noticeable

Tyler is the Man!!!!!!

Logs from last night.

And ran a 13.1 1/4 in the mom wagon

Tuner in Training
    Hi bb-tt, my setup is a 2.0 TFSI K04 with a GIAC stage2 calibration and for a long time I had TB closing at high boost and found out that MAF plays a big part in this, also if you you go way over the target boost the ECU will close the TB. I have been looking at your files and logs and I think you are probably too low on the turbo PR Limits, that small K04 is able to put 28-30 psi at about 3000 rpm and it tapers to 22-25 at the top end that's a 2.5 to 3.00 pressure ratio aprox. Perhaps that little turbo is spooling faster than what the ECU is expecting and it closes the TB.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGP View Post
    Hi bb-tt, my setup is a 2.0 TFSI K04 with a GIAC stage2 calibration and for a long time I had TB closing at high boost and found out that MAF plays a big part in this, also if you you go way over the target boost the ECU will close the TB. I have been looking at your files and logs and I think you are probably too low on the turbo PR Limits, that small K04 is able to put 28-30 psi at about 3000 rpm and it tapers to 22-25 at the top end that's a 2.5 to 3.00 pressure ratio aprox. Perhaps that little turbo is spooling faster than what the ECU is expecting and it closes the TB.
    This is a relativly outdated post, car is up to 12.86 1/4mile times and 2.88 bar peak boost

also check your PM's