Thread: 03 Cummins CURRENTLY auto to manual converted write only options?

Potential Tuner

03 Cummins CURRENTLY auto to manual converted write only options?

I have a 2003 dodge cummins that i converted from a 48re to a NV4500 a few years back and very recently got HPtuners in hopes of learning how to do my own tunes.
    When I went to read my file from the controller it gave me the error that I later found on this forum had explained in your read me post(thank you)
    On the electronic side of the conversion I had used smarty to send me a file to convert my computer over to a manual.
    Out of fear I have curbed all advances and am hoping someone can explain what my options are.
    Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Banned
    Just use the smarty recovery file to go from auto to manual then readout with the hp tuners. It should generate a stock base file for manual transmission for your truck.

Potential Tuner
    thanks Jim,
    This is probably a dumb question but are there some obvious indicators that the stock base file is for a manual and not an auto?
    Just a little Worried I will be doing the controller side of this conversion over again

Banned
    Go to edit then calibration details then select controllers, check the operating system number, it should match up with that of your model year and manual transmission. Don?t worry about the letters at the end of the operating system number, the letters just tell you which revision you have.
    Last edited by Jim P; 07-05-2020 at 08:55 PM.

Potential Tuner
    I took a leap of faith yesterday and wrote the base file that I have attached below to the controller but still not seeing where it distinguishes between auto and manual other than all the transmission tables are gone.
    everything went well as you explained it would, thanks Jim
    still struggling with the scanner patch though, seems to take but doesn't show up when connected to the truck
    Attached Files Attached Files

Banned
    Unless hp tuners now does JTEC on the cummins, you never would have had transmission tables available on the 2003 automatic. It wasn?t till specific 04 model year the transmission tables were available.

Banned
    As I said above, if you go to edit, then calibration details then select controllers, check the operating system number, that number WILL tell you what is in the ECM as far as model year and transmission, also whether its federal or California emissions. Below is a sample of what you need to look up to find out what exactly is loaded on the ECM for calibration.

OS.png

Potential Tuner
    Got it, thanks Jim

Banned
    Search the operating system number in the PDF attached in this link...

https://kb.fcawitech.com/article/chr...ument-775.html

Potential Tuner
    right there (2003.5 DR 5.9L HO DSL MAN FED) very helpful
    thank you very much