Thread: injector rattle

injector rattle

I want to begin to tune out injector rattle. My truck seems to have it all the time unless im under heavy acceleration. Befor I begin pulling timing out of my main tables, I was wondering if I have to much pilot? when cruising I saw 24 degrees pilot and 4 degrees of main. That's 1500 rpms, 3lbs of boost, 14.9k rail and a pw of 405us (I took a snap shot)
    I will post a log later
    any thoughts?

Need info on truck and mods.
    2004.5 Cummins.
    Borgwarner 13009097047 s300sxe 63-73 compressor 63/80 super core turbine housing 80mm .83 A/R Twin Scroll Housing,
    50HP BMS/Exergy Injectors
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,
    turbosmart ext wastegate,
    BD lift pump with 2 mic filter and h2o separator,
    banks intercooler, Banks intake horn,
    slightly built tranny.......

05 six speed all stock

Banned
    Your pilot timing is fine. You shouldn?t have any so called injector rattle with those values. But, don?t have the entire picture being painted here either.

Jim, its possible I don't really know what "injector rattle" sounds like. I have a diesel rattle type sound under light load/cruise that when I get aggressive it smooths right out. I just assumed it was injector rattle
    I took a small log to look at

injectorrattle.hpl
    05 qclb nv5600
    stock

Banned
    What people refer to as injector rattle is the combustion event happening much to soon in the compression stroke, like pre-detonation in a gas engine. Clacky/pinging type sound, think of old mechanical injection diesel engines sound but a much louder/sharper knock. Unless you have greatly increased pilot injection volume, the numbers you stated shouldn?t give you knock beyond normal for your model year.
    Last edited by Jim P; 07-06-2020 at 11:45 AM.

I can log pilot injection volume and post that up later
    thanks for the help
    05 qclb nv5600
    stock