Thread: Quick guide to simultaneous VVE/MAF calibration for gen4+

Advanced Tuner
    General Motors Volumetric Efficiency.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by eXo3901 View Post
    General Motors Volumetric Efficiency.
    Thank you!

Senior Tuner
    If anyone is struggling with the formula(s) here is a cheat sheet to put it together for you.

Edit:
    5 Nov 2021, version 2 sheet attached. If you've successfully used revision 1 there is no change to the formulas it spits out. Just made it easier for guys who hate long math parameters to get up and running.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by hjtrbo; 11-05-2021 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Revision 2

Quote Originally Posted by hjtrbo View Post
    If anyone is struggling with the formula(s) here is a cheat sheet to put it together for you.
    Nice! Great cheat sheet.

Advanced Tuner
    This is for the E38 correct? My issue is trying to convert these to values for an E67. There are a few choices in the E67 for these different values that I don't know which will work. Trial and error on my part I suppose. If I figure it out, I will post my formula here for the E67 guys wanting to try this.
    Thank you for the chart.

Senior Tuner
    It is for both. The numbers in there are for my E67.

Advanced Tuner
    It is for both. The numbers in there are for my E67.
    Thanks, I was able to build the User Math. I'm so new at this and so old that I forget how to run this thing.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by marksrig View Post
    Thanks, I was able to build the User Math. I'm so new at this and so old that I forget how to run this thing.
    You and me both.

Please direct all gratuities to hjturbo

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeshow View Post
    You and me both.

Sorry Smoke, I wasn't intending to side step your much deserved credit for the thread. My inability to understand what was wrong was from my own inexperience with tuning. I'm still showing some highlighted PIDS in the math so I need to find it whats going on. Screenshot 2021-10-05 233658 copy.jpgIMG_4433 copy.jpg
    Last edited by marksrig; 10-06-2021 at 01:51 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeshow View Post
    You and me both.

oh no you don't lol. I'm just the spreadsheet guy.

Sorry Smoke, I wasn't intending to side step your much deserved credit for the thread. My inability to understand what was wrong was from my own inexperience with tuning. I'm still showing some highlighted PIDS in the math so I need to find it whats going on.
    For any red parameter, click on it in the formula and follow the steps attached to get it to suit your vehicle.

Notes:
    Clicking the gear icon in step 4 is very important as it restricts the channel choice to those that you are logging.
    The parameter unit must match those already outlined by smokeshows formula in post #1.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tuner
    After using it for a few months this will start to happen. Nice overlayed lines.

That’s friggin beautiful. I’m not there yet. Assuming this is just steady state in one gear.
    Last edited by ttz06vette; 10-06-2021 at 09:47 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    oh no you don't lol. I'm just the spreadsheet guy.

For any red parameter, click on it in the formula and follow the steps attached to get it to suit your vehicle.

Notes:
    Clicking the gear icon in step 4 is very important as it restricts the channel choice to those that you are logging.
    The parameter unit must match those already outlined by smokeshows formula in post #1.
    So I have the PIDs from the math logging so why are the zeros there? They should have values. I am logging the correct WB's, 2312 and 2126 from the beginning. This is confusing, should populate

Many thanks. I've been trying to use this method and your spreadsheet just adds more useful tools. Thank you very much for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by ttz06vette View Post
    That’s friggin beautiful. I’m not there yet. Assuming this is just steady state in one gear.
    Agreed!

Senior Tuner
    So I have the PIDs from the math logging so why are the zeros there? They should have values. I am logging the correct WB's, 2312 and 2126 from the beginning. This is confusing, should populate
    Can you post a log?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ttz06vette View Post
    Thanks. Yes steady state cruising. Good filtering and smooth throttle changes are mandatory to tune using this method.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks. Yes steady state cruising. Good filtering and smooth throttle changes are mandatory to tune using this method.
    Are you manual or auto? Care to share your filters? That is impressive. Im getting there, but it has been a battle being manual.

Advanced Tuner
    Can you post a log?
    I think I see whats wrong. The math says 50070 is Engine Speed. My E67 doesn't have 50070 only 12 or 2135 for RPM. I plugged it in and its logging error

Thank you

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Leva View Post
    Are you manual or auto? Care to share your filters? That is impressive. Im getting there, but it has been a battle being manual.
    Auto with a high stall that is unlocked until 6th. Manual will be much harder for sure. Here is another example of what we need to try and achieve. Accelerating through the gears, this snippet is 60 to 90km/h at a constant 40% throttle. Only the closed loop filter is active so open loop GMVE is ignored in my histogram. Also note that the gear shift is ignored for some time either side to allow things to settle again.
    A good tip given to me by 07GTS is to put your filters into a math parameter and plot them so you can see when they are active or not. Its a bit more maintenance when making filter tweaks as you have to keep them in sync across math parameter and histograms but it's worth it once they're all dialled in as you can have a lot of confidence in the data you are capturing.

Closed loop filter
    [2517.161.avg(1500)]=0 and [2517.161.avg(-200)]=0 and (abs([50090.156.slope(1500)])+abs([50090.156.slope(-500)]))<2 and ([6310]=9 OR [6310]=14 OR [6310]=15)=0

Open loop filter
    [2517.161.avg(200)]=0 and [2517.161.avg(-200)]=0 and (abs([50090.156.slope(250)])+abs([50090.156.slope(-250)]))<2 and [6310.avg(250)]=9

Senior Tuner
    I think I see whats wrong. The math says 50070 is Engine Speed. My E67 doesn't have 50070 only 12 or 2135 for RPM. I plugged it in and its logging error

Thank you
    Great.

Probably should have added instructions so I'll add them here.
    Find out what the IDs are that you are logging for these parameters:

• Mass Airflow
    • STFT Bank 1
    • LTFT Bank 1 (Optional depending on tune config)
    • STFT Bank 2
    • LTFT Bank 2 (Optional depending on tune config)
    • Wideband Bank 1
    • Wideband Bank 2 (Optional)
    • EQ Ratio Cmd
    • Engine Speed
    • Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure
    • Volumetric Efficiency
    • Manifold Air Temp

Head across to the spreadsheet and plug your IDs into the blue ID column.
    Copy smokeshows formula(s) back into your math parameter(s)

The use of average is optional. I use an average of 200 for closed loop in all my logs as it seems to line up the GMVE data with the O2 sensor swings nicely. For open loop I do not use average. Play around with it to suit your own tastes.
    Last edited by hjtrbo; 10-06-2021 at 03:48 PM.