Thread: Idle and cruising issues 2001 C5 Vette

Potential Tuner

Idle and cruising issues 2001 C5 Vette

I recently bought this car from someone who tried tuning it themselves (clearly didn't go well lol). Then I took it to a so called "professional tuner" and while they cleaned up some of the WOT section of the tune, the car still has some weird issues that I think are tune related. I'm wondering if someone can help me out.

1. If I start the car, let it warm up for a couple of minutes, and try driving out of my drive way, once I push the clutch in the car tries to stall. It dips down to ~500 RPM for a few seconds and doesn't die, but it acts like it wants to. A couple of blips of the throttle causes the RPM to go up briefly, but then it comes back down to ~500 RPM. Once I drive off, out of my driveway and come to another stop, the car will want to die with the clutch in, but once the car stops moving and the MPH gets below 5, then the car will suddenly go back to idling normal. Once the car warms up its completely fine

2. On decel, from 2,500 - 3,000 RPM the car will "pop and bang" showing the car running lean (anywhere from 16:1-18:1 AFR), once I get below 2,500 RPM and I'm off the throttle, everything seems to be normal (goes to 14:7-15:1 AFR). My first thought was very low timing to cause this, but once I looked at the log it looked like it was only 30 degrees or so, which seemed normal to me. Could it have something to do with the DFCO? I noticed DFCO doesn't kick on that much unless I'm at very high RPMs. I don't really want the "pops and bangs" since it's probably not good for my exhaust valves and will likely cause more issues as time goes on.

Tune and log files are attached. If anyone needs some more info, let me know and thanks for the help in advance!

Tune:
    2001_c5_AS_FOUND.hpt

Idle data log:
    22-04-01 12-46-12.hpl

"pops and bangs" issue:
    pops and bangs log.hpl
    Last edited by Sheeeesh; 05-13-2022 at 11:06 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheeeesh View Post
    I recently bought this car from someone who tried tuning it themselves (clearly didn't go well lol). Then I took it to a so called "professional tuner" and while they cleaned up some of the WOT section of the tune, the car still has some weird issues that I think are tune related. I'm wondering if someone can help me out.

1. If I start the car, let it warm up for a couple of minutes, and try driving out of my drive way, once I push the clutch in the car tries to stall. It dips down to ~500 RPM for a few seconds and doesn't die, but it acts like it wants to. A couple of blips of the throttle causes the RPM to go up briefly, but then it comes back down to ~500 RPM. Once I drive off, out of my driveway and come to another stop, the car will want to die with the clutch in, but once the car stops moving and the MPH gets below 5, then the car will suddenly go back to idling normal. Once the car warms up its completely fine.
    The VE table still needs some work. If I were tuning it, I would just perform an SD tune and make sure the VE table was properly dialed in.

2. During WOT the car blows out a fair amount of black smoke on the hit as well as throughout the run, even though the AFRs look ok, lots of carbon build up on the rear of the car. You have too much timing at WOT. (and idle too.) I see up to 32 degrees at WOT. That's just too much. Detonation will cause one to puff smoke...amongst other things.

3. On decel, from 2,500 - 3,000 RPM the car will "pop and bang" showing the car running lean (anywhere from 16:1-18:1 AFR), once I get below 2,500 RPM and I'm off the throttle, everything seems to be normal (goes to 14:7-15:1 AFR). My first thought was very low timing to cause this, but once I looked at the log it looked like it was only 30 degrees or so, which seemed normal to me. Could it have something to do with the DFCO? I noticed DFCO doesn't kick on that much unless I'm at very high RPMs.
    It's likely too rich under decel. Once you dial in the VE table, that will improve greatly. It's also in open loop at all times. That can work just fine once the fuel table is dialed in.

Tune and log files are attached. If anyone needs some more info, let me know and thanks for the help in advance!

Tune:
    2001_c5_AS_FOUND.hpt

Idle data log:
    22-04-01 12-46-12.hpl

"pops and bangs" issue:
    pops and bangs log.hpl

Potential Tuner
    Thanks Kevin! That definitely makes sense and helps out. I noticed the VE table looked very "wonky" to say the least. I think I'll start there and see how it goes.

Regarding the timing, when I was logging everything I noticed the VCM was not pulling timing as a result of knock, but could it still be knock that is causing the issue? And just curious, what is a reasonable amount of timing for both idle and WOT for an LS1? Doesn't have to be exact, but a ballpark would be great.

Thanks again for the help.