Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help with spanish oak strategy swap

Tuner in Training

need help with spanish oak strategy swap

Hey everyone,

Hoping to get a little help strategy swapping my 05 vic pcm spanish oak to a manual strategy.
    Reason being is turning the auto trans off doesnt actually disable and the truck thinks its idling all the time.
    (ive tried just about everything i could to get around this) for example wired in vss signals to show the pcm the truck is moving along with wiring in a range switch to show its in gear. this caused throttle error issues and kept shutting down while driving.

so heres the strategy swap i tried..

05 vic pcm information:

VIN: 2FAHP71W25X169168
    2005 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, 4.6 L, 8 Cyl

Hardware: Spanish Oak 1024K, Ford
    VIN: 2FAHP71W25X169168

05 mustang tune/ strategy information i tried using:

VIN: 1ZVFT82H655158563
    2005 Ford Mustang GT, 4.6 L, 8 Cyl

Hardware: Spanish Oak 1024K, Ford
    VIN: 1ZVFT82H655158563

Steps taken to swap strategy:
    licensed and wrote the mustang tune to the truck (vic pcm)
    read the tune back and re wrote to the truck

I understand the tune should have my vin when reading it back and require re licensing. however it read back with the mustang vin still and didnt prompt for any re licensing.

I need to know what im missing here. did i screw a step up or did I use a strategy that wasnt compatible.
    If so is there a tune in the repository that is compatible? this is about my only option left to get the truck running properly. the next alternative is holley, and for this engine thats over a $3000 dollar option!
    Any help at all is greatly appretiated!!!!

Advanced Tuner
    You should be able to use the Vic PCM as a manual. Can you post your file?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by momotunes View Post
    You should be able to use the Vic PCM as a manual. Can you post your file?
    098.hpt

okay i think ive attached to file correctly (getting the hang of this posting on forum thing)
    so disabling the automatic transmission option sets throttle codes and limits rpm to 3500.
    ive tried adjusting or even maxing out any limiting values in the tune to get around it with no luck
    then leaving the auto function enabled solves the throttle issues and the rpm limits go away. however it runs the cooling fan at 92%
    part throttle driving is really good and feels normal. but under load it pegs lean and surges (almost like its starving for fuel)
    ive ruled out mechanical issues and there is plenty of fuel system. adjusting the cylair multipliers and torque tables has no effect.
    which leads me to believe its not even using those tables and its just using its idling parameters.

also one last bit of info. i seen a few people on this forum with the same issues going from an auto crown vic to manual
    on one post eric had chimed in and said theres no way to fully disable the auto logic and that the best thing to do was flash in a manual strategy from a musting.

thanks for your help
    any input is appretiated

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kwcrandall View Post
    098.hpt

okay i think ive attached to file correctly (getting the hang of this posting on forum thing)
    so disabling the automatic transmission option sets throttle codes and limits rpm to 3500.
    ive tried adjusting or even maxing out any limiting values in the tune to get around it with no luck
    then leaving the auto function enabled solves the throttle issues and the rpm limits go away. however it runs the cooling fan at 92%
    part throttle driving is really good and feels normal. but under load it pegs lean and surges (almost like its starving for fuel)
    ive ruled out mechanical issues and there is plenty of fuel system. adjusting the cylair multipliers and torque tables has no effect.
    which leads me to believe its not even using those tables and its just using its idling parameters.

also one last bit of info. i seen a few people on this forum with the same issues going from an auto crown vic to manual
    on one post eric had chimed in and said theres no way to fully disable the auto logic and that the best thing to do was flash in a manual strategy from a musting.

thanks for your help
    any input is appretiated

Try the below these settings.

Automatic = Disabled
    Load Switch = 0 or 2 - - - Try using "2" first and infer neutral as disabled.
    Infer Neutral = Enabled (if load switch is zero) otherwise it's disabled. If load switch is zero leave as disabled. (try both combinations)
    Trans Gear ratio vs gear = all 1.0
    Gear Ratios = all 1.0
    Torque Intervention = Disabled
    Torque Max vs. RPM = Max out
    Demand Torque = Change from "normal" to "engine"
    IPC ROM Switch & IPC ROM Enable = Disabled

The Spark and fuel cuts under torque ratio need turned off for the auto stuff may need to be turned off for the auto stuff.

Tuner in Training
    Try the below these settings.

Automatic = Disabled
    Load Switch = 0 or 2 - - - Try using "2" first and infer neutral as disabled.
    Infer Neutral = Enabled (if load switch is zero) otherwise it's disabled. If load switch is zero leave as disabled. (try both combinations)
    Trans Gear ratio vs gear = all 1.0
    Gear Ratios = all 1.0
    Torque Intervention = Disabled
    Torque Max vs. RPM = Max out
    Demand Torque = Change from "normal" to "engine"
    IPC ROM Switch & IPC ROM Enable = Disabled

The Spark and fuel cuts under torque ratio need turned off for the auto stuff may need to be turned off for the auto stuff.

Okay just got back from trying those configurations with no luck.
    So far no matter what if auto trans is disabled i get a 3500 rpm limit. So after trying the different combinations of load switch 0-2 and neutral infer enabled disabled, with auto trans disabled. along with all the other settings. i re enabled auto trans to try those combinations again.
    Same issues. Was definitely worth a try. Ive also tried a million other configurations (been trying to figure this out since march when the snow melted)

Any other ideas? So far I think a manual strategy is my only hope.. either that or i make a new harness with a mustang pcm.. or i go to holley but that option is worth more than the engine and trans combined!

Advanced Tuner
    How do you have the range switch and clutch switch wired now?

Tuner in Training
    How do you have the range switch and clutch switch wired now?
    The range switch i wired so i can plug it in and tuck it under the dash for now. with it plugged in ive tried putting it in drive (D4) and 1st (D1) is what it comes up as on the scanner. This made no difference though.
    other than every couple of minutes driving the electronic throttle will shut down and ill have to cycle the key to get it out of limp mode and get goig again.
    so ive unplugged it. (which stopped the throttle from shutting down) i also tried maxing out the aloud torque error to see if that would keep the throttle from shutting down. no luck there.

As for the clutch switch im not sure where i would wire that into the pcm. Its just wired through my starter signal to keep me from starting with the truck in gear.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm sorry I don't know why I asked about the clutch switch. I think you need to jumper some wires to bypass neutral safety switch on the auto transmission. I'll call my buddy tomorrow. He did a mustang with auto to manual and used same PCM. I remember something had to be done with the range switch wiring but I can't remember for sure

Tuner in Training
    I'm sorry I don't know why I asked about the clutch switch. I think you need to jumper some wires to bypass neutral safety switch on the auto transmission. I'll call my buddy tomorrow. He did a mustang with auto to manual and used same PCM. I remember something had to be done with the range switch wiring but I can't remember for sure
    Okay sounds good, I appreciate that.
    I?m also thinking of trying a strategy swap with an sct x4
    I traded away some flex a lite fans I had laying around for one. I think they?re easier to strategy swap so all else fails that?s my next plan I think.

Advanced Tuner
    Well sir I'm sorry I sent you down the wrong path. I misread your original post. I thought you already had the mustang file flashed on your PCM and you had to switch to auto to keep it running/going. I shouldn't be reading/responding half asleep lol and should have checked OS in your file.

Your harness needs modified to bypass neutral safety switch and to your new speed sensor and reverse lights. Everything else should work assuming the Vic and mustang are pinned alike.

To clarify, you flashed the stangs file to your PCM now and it didn't take or it did? It sounds like it did and Vin was only concern however you mentioned you got an X4 to try so that is why I'm confused. (I get confused easily lol).

If you are wanting to strategy swap with the X4 and need a file just send me your X4 serial number and I'll get that to you.

I'm sorry about the confusion on my end and the gas/time you spent as a result.

Tuner in Training
    Well sir I'm sorry I sent you down the wrong path. I misread your original post. I thought you already had the mustang file flashed on your PCM and you had to switch to auto to keep it running/going. I shouldn't be reading/responding half asleep lol and should have checked OS in your file.

Your harness needs modified to bypass neutral safety switch and to your new speed sensor and reverse lights. Everything else should work assuming the Vic and mustang are pinned alike.

To clarify, you flashed the stangs file to your PCM now and it didn't take or it did? It sounds like it did and Vin was only concern however you mentioned you got an X4 to try so that is why I'm confused. (I get confused easily lol).

If you are wanting to strategy swap with the X4 and need a file just send me your X4 serial number and I'll get that to you.

I'm sorry about the confusion on my end and the gas/time you spent as a result.
    Ohhhhh haha that makes sense
    Yeah I flashed the mustang file on. So it took the file okay. But when I read it back the vin didn?t change over. So I could crank and crank but no signs of life.

That would be awesome if you could send me an sct file to try
    I appreciate the help!
    Last edited by kwcrandall; 07-14-2020 at 01:45 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I'm very new to this but I had to figure out mine and my buddys p/n rev limiter.. I would go there you need the maxx all values too 590.05 you will see in ur file after 4800 the values are -88.51 that's what I would try its under engine/torque management/torque max vs rpm is where you go.. you want it to make max torque to 6000 rpm now in p/n I think this is it man 590 across the board

Tuner in Training
    My values under torque max vs rpm are all maxed out at 16,000

You were successful with your 2010 cvpi?
    I?ve tried completely maxing any neutral limiters and completely getting rid of any torque management along with torque fuel cut and spark cut features.
    I?ve have had luck with LS systems swapping to manual but nothing seems to work on this 2005. Cvpi.
    I?m going to try an sct file tonight I?ll post if it was a success or not tonight!
    Thanks for your suggestion!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kwcvpi2010 View Post
    Just had a glance at the video I do have the range sensor wired in. However I have not tired leaving it in neutral.
    I?ll give that a shot tonight!

Tuner in Training
    I have not had success I?m preparing to do the swap in the next month just waiting till I can get the pedal set up are over a month away. In that file you posted up the values were not maxed out maybe you may have changed them I don?t know

Tuner in Training
    I have not had success I?m preparing to do the swap in the next month just waiting till I can get the pedal set up are over a month away. In that file you posted up the values were not maxed out maybe you may have changed them I don?t know
    Oh okay yeah that file may be a bit different
    I?ve got over 100 tune updates in my folder from trying to tune this thing since the spring haha
    I?ve started a new folder last week with a fresh stock file that I?m working on. I think I?m 12 revisions in already.
    Okay I?ll try leaving my range selector in Neutral various settings and see how that goes and if no luck I?ll flash the strategy over with the sct. Either way I?ll let you know how it goes

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kwcrandall View Post
    Ohhhhh haha that makes sense
    Yeah I flashed the mustang file on. So it took the file okay. But when I read it back the vin didn?t change over. So I could crank and crank but no signs of life.

That would be awesome if you could send me an sct file to try
    I appreciate the help!

It won't let me add the file on here. I'll PM you for your email.

Tuner in Training
    Could you put your most current file on I?d like to take a look at it I?m just curious when you have the time

Advanced Tuner
    I sent you a PM for your email.

If you licensed the other file and car wouldn't start it's due to the ipc and equizzer Id mismatch. HPT doesn't have that defined in your Vic file but does in the Stang file. You can ask them for that so you have it, input those values on the mustang file you licensed than flash it.

I believe if you flash the SCT file I sent you than you would have to pay to license it to further edit which it will need. So you may end up using more credits. I could be wrong though as I never tried to do this with HPT so maybe some who has can comment.