Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grille Shutter settings questions

Advanced Tuner
    It makes perfect sense, they keep them open at any speed where the aero isn't going to make any real difference, as the speed comes up it's balanced with the demand from the fan draw. All about fuel economy rather than performance. I wonder if there is a missing table in the Ecoboosts that references IAT/Speed.

Agreed. To my knowledge, the shutter system is there for only two reasons. Aerodynamics/Fuel Economy, and to aid in engine/powertrain warm-up in colder months.

As far as on the Eco's, it's my opinion that shutter B (intercooler) should remain open at all times for a performance-oriented tune.
    '17 Whipple'd S550
    Too many other projects to list.....see my YouTube channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7...-XfDG53sCh6tcw

Quote Originally Posted by B E N View Post
    It makes perfect sense, they keep them open at any speed where the aero isn't going to make any real difference, as the speed comes up it's balanced with the demand from the fan draw. All about fuel economy rather than performance. I wonder if there is a missing table in the Ecoboosts that references IAT/Speed.
    It's completely closed almost all the time in the summer. That doesn't make any sense. It'd make more sense to keep them open at 0 mph (whenever I'm stopped as an example) but they just stay shut. I can understand the less of a need to keep them open at highway speeds, but with the A?C running at 100F ambient and the fans running full blast it seems odd to me to keep the shutters closed while idling or at very low speeds.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
    It's completely closed almost all the time in the summer. That doesn't make any sense. It'd make more sense to keep them open at 0 mph (whenever I'm stopped as an example) but they just stay shut. I can understand the less of a need to keep them open at highway speeds, but with the A?C running at 100F ambient and the fans running full blast it seems odd to me to keep the shutters closed while idling or at very low speeds.
    I noticed the same. I dont have an air box on my intake currently because no one makes one that I'm aware of for f150 that allows for a cobra jet intake and I havent had time to outfit something that will work. I was getting really high IAT before I forced the shutters open and that cooled things down closer to ambient while moving.

I'm sure there are variables and tables that aren't visible (yet). mine just has manual override and % for A and B right now. I think the "cooling demand" logic that ford must be using is with the logic of keeping them closed as much as possible unless something that is monitored isn't keeping cool enough then go ahead and open them. Having them closed must provide better economy and emissions, otherwise the level of R&D would have been a waste; I think we just need to see the parameters or logic that is actually used for operation if possible. (though it might be available in other calibrations besides mine, mustang might get them first if it doesn't exist already)

I have not noticed any difference in MPG, air conditioning temp, trans or coolant temp with them forced open. Just cooler IAT because I have that open air element that isn't shielded at all yet. I don't log it much anymore though since I've ironed out everything that I wanted to correct.