Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grille Shutter settings questions

Grille Shutter settings questions

Does anyone know what it means by Grille Position A and Grille Position B? There doesn't seem to be a good explanation. The "A" table looks like what I'd consider normal behavior, open the shutters at lower speeds and close at higher speeds. But the "B" tables don't make a lot of sense. I also notice that with the factory settings running the A/C at idle in the summer heat, the shutters are fully closed but the radiator fans are running. I know it can draw air through the radiator via other parts of the front grille but it seems counter-intuitive to keep the shutters closed in Park/idle with the A/C running. The vehicle is a 2018 Ford Explorer, so it wouldn't surprise me if Ford messed up the factory programming.

Advanced Tuner
    Does the A/C work well at idle?

I can almost make popsicles, with the rear A/C blowing as well. I do notice a lack of bugs in my A/C condenser, not that I'm complaining, but it tells me the shutters aren't open even while driving at speed with the A/C running. During the start up sequence of the engine, I can see the shutters doing their calibration. While parked (engine off), the shutters will open up in the summer. I notice in the winter when I shut the engine off, the shutters are usually fully shut.
    Last edited by metroplex; 07-10-2020 at 10:43 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    If it is blowing cold there is really no reason to mess with it.

I'd still like to know what the A and B position tables are used for or what they mean.

I know on F150 the A and B refer to upper and lower shutters. There is one over the intercooler, and one over the radiator/condenser.
    '17 Whipple'd S550
    Too many other projects to list.....see my YouTube channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7...-XfDG53sCh6tcw

Quote Originally Posted by 96gt4.6 View Post
    I know on F150 the A and B refer to upper and lower shutters. There is one over the intercooler, and one over the radiator/condenser.
    I can confirm that the F150 5.0 only has Shutter A options while eco 5.0 has A and B.

Correct. I keep forgetting there are other engine options in F150 besides eco 😂.

Do those tables do anything? Because Table B is usually set to 100% or close at low speed low demand yet both sets of shutters are always closed on the Explorer.

Well in the summer they will stay open with the engine off. I noticed in the winter that they are almost always closed.

I have always been curious how some are controlling the shutters on the Eco trucks. One would think you would want the Intercooler one open at all times, but indeed the OEM strategy is rather interesting.

I will check. I have a 2018 F150 3.5 Eco I'm building tunes with currently and was wanting to play with grille shutter settings.

Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason in when they open on the Explorer

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mechanicboy View Post
    I can confirm that the F150 5.0 only has Shutter A options while eco 5.0 has A and B.
    my 2016 5.0 has a and b.

I just set them to open on a at 100% for summer. in winter ill probably go back to stock.

I will check. I have a 2018 F150 3.5 Eco I'm building tunes with currently and was wanting to play with grille shutter settings.
    Also curious on what you can do with the air mass flow on that engine. It looks like compressor mapping on 2018-up Non-HO is identical to 2018-up HO. VE Model tables are about the same. Spark delta is 2* BKT and 0.5* MBT, but the factory torque limiters on the non-HO were set to the advertised specs. You should be able to get near 60 lb/min of air mass flow. I saw some 2018-up 3.5s get over 550 hp tune-only.

My 18' Only has A. I just checked my 16 and you're correct, it has A and B which is weird because it certainly only has one shudder. I don't recall seeing a B there the last time I tuned my 16' before trading it in.

Here's the stock shutter settings for my Explorer. Shutter B is commanding 100% open at 0 mph, 0% cooling demand. But I don't see top or bottom shutters open. Even with the engine running full temp in the summer heat (ambient near 100F) with the A/C running and the radiator fans full blast, both shutters remain shut. When I shut off the engine, the shutters will open up. Weird.
    Attached Images Attached Images

'17 Whipple'd S550
    Too many other projects to list.....see my YouTube channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7...-XfDG53sCh6tcw

I have a friend with only a tune/e40 mix that ran 11.9@111 in his '18 Crew 4x4. They are potent for sure. I'm clocking all stock in the low 14's with my Dragy at my altitude and current conditions (around 3-4500ft). The 18+ 3.5's pack a pretty good punch with some excellent growing room in the tune for sure. Just getting started on this one so it will be interesting to see how it ends up!
    '17 Whipple'd S550

I have a friend with only a tune/e40 mix that ran 11.9@111 in his '18 Crew 4x4. They are potent for sure. I'm clocking all stock in the low 14's with my Dragy at my altitude and current conditions (around 3-4500ft). The 18+ 3.5's pack a pretty good punch with some excellent growing room in the tune for sure. Just getting started on this one so it will be interesting to see how it ends up!
    Not to derail this thread but that is pretty fast. For comparison My 18' 5.0 Crew 4x4 did 12.7@106 with intake/tune on e85, full weight.

For sure, and sorry for getting off track, but here is the vid as well: https://youtu.be/uUEV2wxfEuU?t=64

In repayment i'll try and answer some of the shutter questions with my '18 here soon and post.
    '17 Whipple'd S550