Thread: What type of maf should I use

Potential Tuner

What type of maf should I use

I have a L33 5.3 which is in a 1996 Express van. The harness is off a 2004 Express van. The 5.3 has a tbss intake on it and a 90mm throttle body. Which maf sensor would be best to use?

Run the MAF that matches your harness. You won't outflow the stock MAF sensor on a 5.3 with a intake swap.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Run the MAF that matches your harness. You won't outflow the stock MAF sensor on a 5.3 with a intake swap.
    The one that matches the harness is a 70mm maf. I plan on running a 90mm throttle body

Then run a truck MAF that goes on a L33 engine.

Keep it simple because the MAF has it's own housing and makes tuning much easier. The 4.8/5.3/6.0 all use the same MAF in the trucks and you will still be making less power than a stock 6.0 so it'll be okay.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Then run a truck MAF that goes on a L33 engine.

Keep it simple because the MAF has it's own housing and makes tuning much easier. The 4.8/5.3/6.0 all use the same MAF in the trucks and you will still be making less power than a stock 6.0 so it'll be okay.
    The maf for the stock L33 is only 70mm.

I gave you some options.

Or see if the LS1 MAF is any better.

I still don't see a reason for a larger MAF, you can't use it. Who cares if you are running a 90mm throttle body, it won't give you anymore power over the factory L33 throttle body if the engine can't use the extra air.

Switching to a card style MAF is overkill.

Or ditch the MAF, run a separate IAT sensor and go speed density.

Potential Tuner
    I gave you some options.

Or see if the LS1 MAF is any better.

I still don't see a reason for a larger MAF, you can't use it. Who cares if you are running a 90mm throttle body, it won't give you anymore power over the factory L33 throttle body if the engine can't use the extra air.

Switching to a card style MAF is overkill.

Or ditch the MAF, run a separate IAT sensor and go speed density.
    So you don't think I'll see any gains running a bigger throttle body

If the engine can't use that extra air, no I don't think it will.

If the camshaft is stock, it's not going to make any noticeable difference. The TBSS swap itself might give it a few horsepower but we aren't talking 20hp+ here, the factory truck intake is already really good as it was.

Advanced Tuner
    Bigger throttle body is a waste on a stock 5.3 UNLESS you cam it, port the heads, SHAVE the heads, headers, etc. I see you have a TBSS intake on it. Stock TB is 78mm. Stick with that until you modify thhe engines...
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4