Thread: 2002 Chevy Avalanche want to tune with the MVPI2

Potential Tuner

2002 Chevy Avalanche want to tune with the MVPI2

Looking to purchase a programmer but don't understand the other additional purchases to be able to use the MVPI2. I have a 2002 Chevy Avalanche with 5.3 motor, made in Mexico, and has the "T" 5.3 motor in it. I'm looking to change the intake, the cold air intake, injectors and a cam. Will the MVPI2 do all this alone or do I have to buy other options?

Thanks

NooB ... sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum
    Last edited by freakyman; 07-10-2020 at 06:17 PM.

Yes, it will do what you want.

The regular MPVI2 with 2 credits would tune that truck. But the more stuff you want done the more things you will want to go with it.

Like a wideband o2 sensor and things like that. You could buy the PRO feature set for more money to help with logging or save money and use a serial adapter or another way to log that wideband.

Just remember that HP Tuners doesn't come with instructions and there are no pre-made tunes. Everything will have to be learned by you and parameters changed for the needs of the engine.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks 5FDP.... That's what I don't understand the credit thing. Lol, I go to their site and I'm like "WHAT?" Credits, Pro this and that... really not a good description of the quality of their tools. I only got wind of their product via youtube... and it looks to be youtube is where you learn to use it as well. So you do you think that the MPVI2 and 2 credits will get me where I need to go? I just want to change the intake, cam, injectors, TB and have it run right. Don't want to get too involved. This is all new to me.

Yes, it would do everything you want it to do. The MPVI2, 2 credits and a wideband sensor could do all this.

Pick your parts based on the needs of the engine and your wants. Buy quality injectors with injector data if you think you will outflow the stock ones. There are several stock injectors out that can be swapped too if the stock 25lb/hr injectors aren't enough.

Pick a cam that works for the way you drive it and if you want a stall converter.

Throttle body size isn't going to be a problem here, I wouldn't even mess with that.

Getting it to run right is all going to down to how well you can tune it. It's not going to be a easy task, it will take you many many hours/days if this is all new to you.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks again 5FDP

Potential Tuner
    Freaky man,
    I am still a noob as well, and have the 2002 5.3 Avalanche as well.
    Bought the MPVI2 and it really is great, but still trying to figure out everything with it. I just rebuilt the engine, put in BTR Stage 3 cam, K&N CAI and MBRP cutback exhaust. Sounds really good on stock tune, with a mild lope to it.
    I would highly recommend HP Tuners, as there are more users out there to help. Also, if you are looking to cam, this setup is really nice and I know when it is tuned right, will be a sweet setup.
    If I can assist at all, let me know.