Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JTEC 46RE Part Throttle Shift Tuning

Tuner in Training
    not to hijack but any advice on a firmer shift? i went under pressure tab and changed enough to aleast feel a difference but not that big of a diff. did i feel.i have moved the control under hood(forgot exact term for it ) in and out and where it should be.anyways any advice???
    16 mkx
    09 mb 320 coupe
    02 dodge dakota r/t 5.9
    which is my latest toy to tune

Banned
    The TTVA. There is no shift firmness parameters like the RFE transmissions.

Tuner in Training
    Jim P thank you so much for all this info , really help

Banned
    Hope it?s helpful for those looking to understand the RE transmissions better.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    Attachment 104333

If you plot it out in a graph it will make more sense. Where the min and max overlap is the boundaries in which a shift will be allowed to occur, provided!!!, post shift acceleration is met and the governor pressure has reached the point to flow through the circuit. HP Tuners is using psi in the post shift acceleration table which I don't believe to be correct. There is a lot of similarities here between the 46RE and 48RE and in the 48RE it is NOT psi, it is a calculated acceleration value, NOT psi. The post shift acceleration table is minimum calculated post shift acceleration required to allow a shift. Your boost pressure is governor pressure to force a shift and your hold pressure is governor pressure to prevent a shift.

It will take a manipulation of all of this to adjust your shift points, moving your min/max tables (both throttle and OSS rpm) to where you want, raising or lowering governor pressure, raising or lower boost and hold pressures and raising or lowering the post shift acceleration tables.
    this is an awesome description , than the min and max overlap work even in the Nag1 right ?, but you speak about overlap time , and overlap torque right ? if i lower the low time and torque ,I allow the shift to occur early right ?
    thanks in advance

Banned
    This thread is talking about the RE transmissions, which uses throttle position and output shaft speed on the shift tables, in conjunction with meeting criteria of other parameters. I would have to look at a nag1 tune to see what you are asking about. The shift tables on the RFE transmissions also use throttle position and output shaft speed for shift tables, for converter lockup on the RFE it uses throttle position and turbine speed.

Tuner in Training
    yes sorry but I have found this info really helpfull and I'm going out of the thread

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    This thread is talking about the RE transmissions, which uses throttle position and output shaft speed on the shift tables, in conjunction with meeting criteria of other parameters. I would have to look at a nag1 tune to see what you are asking about. The shift tables on the RFE transmissions also use throttle position and output shaft speed for shift tables, for converter lockup on the RFE it uses throttle position and turbine speed.
    Jim P, sent you a PM .

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by spoolboy View Post
    Try logging output shaft speed, engine rpm, and throttle voltage while this is occurring and post that file up. If there are channels for line pressure and/or governor pressure, log those too.
    I have a 2001 dodge Durango RT and shifting from 2nd to 3rd seems a lot quicker than what it should how would I go about changing that that

Hello,

I have 2001 Dakota R/T and a 46RE, part throttle shifts are too early. I read through this post, but I'm a little confused. Could someone please list adjustments to make to increase part throttle shift points. Step-by-step.

Banned
    It?s largely explained on page 2 of the thread

Tuner in Training
    Sounds like a worn TV valve in the valve body. How many miles on it? If it's got 150k+ talk to a transmission guy before you try to tune out something that will never work. Those transmissions are heavily mechanical and adjusting gov pressure will not fix so many things.

Quote Originally Posted by joefus25 View Post
    Sounds like a worn TV valve in the valve body. How many miles on it? If it's got 150k+ talk to a transmission guy before you try to tune out something that will never work. Those transmissions are heavily mechanical and adjusting gov pressure will not fix so many things.
    The trans was just rebuilt by a shop that has done a lot 46REs back when Rams/Dakotas were real popular, just about everything in it was rebuilt/replaced with hi-po parts, governor shift valve and flow valve were replace with the upgraded ones (valve body was replace with rebuilt Hi Po one from MSAINE). It must be something in the PCM. I have a feeling someone has messed with trans settings in the PCM, I'm just waiting for MPVI3 to support JTEC and then I will buy one and then go in and look at it.

So if you reset the full throttle shift rpm from 4800 rpm to 5500 rpm, you really need to put a pressure gauge on the trans and read the 1-2 and 2-3 boost pressures at 5500 rpm and set those too? I've heard some have just changed the full throttle shift rpm and still couldn't get the trans to shift at the set rpm.

Tuner in Training
    i am having similar issues, I have WOT shift rpm set at 5800 but it still shifts at 4800rpm. I have adjusted boost pressure settings but still shifts at 4800rpm? Anyone have any advice on adjusting WOT shift points?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    i am having similar issues, I have WOT shift rpm set at 5800 but it still shifts at 4800rpm. I have adjusted boost pressure settings but still shifts at 4800rpm? Anyone have any advice on adjusting WOT shift points?
    Could you share the current tune and a log?

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeBoy_8HP View Post
    Could you share the current tune and a log?
    Did you get anywhere on this?

Tuner in Training
    The 42RE/44RE/46RE/47RE transmissions are hydraulically/mechanically controlled for shift firmness and rpm. The PCM only controls the governor pressure(vehicle speed), 4th gear, and converter clutch. No adjustments can be made with HP tuners. You would need to buy a shift kit with proper spring rates to change the shift points. All transmission options found in the HP tuner program are for the RFE transmissions that are controlled by electronics only.

Quote Originally Posted by putts000 View Post
    The 42RE/44RE/46RE/47RE transmissions are hydraulically/mechanically controlled for shift firmness and rpm. The PCM only controls the governor pressure(vehicle speed), 4th gear, and converter clutch. No adjustments can be made with HP tuners. You would need to buy a shift kit with proper spring rates to change the shift points. All transmission options found in the HP tuner program are for the RFE transmissions that are controlled by electronics only.
    Some what true, I have a fully built valve body and the settings in the stock tune are still hold back my shift points. Shift firmness are 100% in the valve body (and some what the TV valve), but shift points and holds are a combination of valve body and PCM. I have been adjust the PCM and I am getting closer to the shifting (full and part throttle) which shows it's not 100% valve body. The biggest problem is HP doesn't give you full control of the 46RE tuning, like they do in 48RE.

Tuner in Training
    The 48RE works the same as all other RE transmissions just with the highest torque capabilities. The only logic in the JTEC/+ for the RE transmissions is governor pressure = 1 PSI per MPH. When in 4x4 low it limits pressure to 15psi or so to keep the trans from shifting higher then 2nd gear. Your shift timing is (line pressure+shift spring vs governor pressure). Line pressure is spring pressure + throttle valve adding additions spring pressure to raise line pressure based on throttle. You can buy shift spring kits to adjust shift timing any where you'd like. The 904/727 from the early 60s to the end of the RE trans in the early 2000s all use the same springs, majority of parts can be swapped through out the years.

The 45rfe, 545rfe and 68rfe, or other fully electronic are the only transmissions that can be tuned through the pcm. They use no springs for control, multiple electric solenoids to control shift timing and firmness. The values your playing with were not even added to jtec until 99 starting with Jeeps, when the 3.7/4.7 engines and the 45rfe trans came out.

I've asked HP tuners a few times over the years if it were possible to add options to tune the governor pressure vs speed value, and torque converter lockup vs vehicle speed vs throttle position sensor. The tell me no because they are not set in "modifiable" tables. They are hard coded in the logic that they have no control over.