Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JTEC 46RE Part Throttle Shift Tuning

so would gov pressure have to be raised for the certain shifts im wanting raise, and the tables for shift schedule are output speed vs tps volts id assume, so should i raise the tps for the shifts or lower the tps? heres my file if you could take a look to see what im talking about
    chris 2002 dodge ram pcm stock pcm last tune current.hpt

Banned
    Shift Window.png

If you plot it out in a graph it will make more sense. Where the min and max overlap is the boundaries in which a shift will be allowed to occur, provided!!!, post shift acceleration is met and the governor pressure has reached the point to flow through the circuit. HP Tuners is using psi in the post shift acceleration table which I don't believe to be correct. There is a lot of similarities here between the 46RE and 48RE and in the 48RE it is NOT psi, it is a calculated acceleration value, NOT psi. The post shift acceleration table is minimum calculated post shift acceleration required to allow a shift. Your boost pressure is governor pressure to force a shift and your hold pressure is governor pressure to prevent a shift.

It will take a manipulation of all of this to adjust your shift points, moving your min/max tables (both throttle and OSS rpm) to where you want, raising or lowering governor pressure, raising or lower boost and hold pressures and raising or lowering the post shift acceleration tables.

Banned
    Shift Window 2.png

Here is all 3 min/max upshift boundary windows. 1-2 shift boundary highlighted in green, 2-3 shift boundary highlighted in purple and 3-4 shift boundary window highlighted in red. Shifts are to occur within these boundaries provided all other conditions are met.

Banned
    And for those that read this, no, these aren?t what I manipulate in the 48RE to open it up for tuning. These tables are part of anti-hunt control that is active above a specific throttle position.

Banned
    I don?t know if any of the above makes sense for you or not, hope it helps.

its starting to make sense, so just to make sure im picking up what you are putting down, i need to change the values of the oss and tps volts to match where i want the shift to happen and the gov pressure is also gonna play a part in where i want it to shift? i do have a question though you talk about post shift acceleration, i dont see a tab for that? could you explain to me how i go about adjusting and what that can contribute to what i want to accomplish

Banned
    They have it under the shift pressures tab. If it?s anything like the 48RE, which it likely is, it should be in the shift scheduling tab.

As defined in the 48RE...

Min acceptable post-shift accel vs TPS to allow x-x upshift.

Banned
    If you want it to shift later, you need to move the boundary window to where you want it to shift, then you can lower governor pressure, raise post-shift acceleration, raise boost pressure or whatever to hone it in to where you want it to shift

ok i got what your saying now, can you also give some insight on the kick down shifts, on how to tame those? or are those going to naturally act how they will depending on how i change the up shifts?

Banned
    Shift Window Sample.png

Here's an example of the 1-2 shift boundary window moved. Original in window highlighted in red and new highlighted in green.

are the downshifts able to be tuned or are they just the effect of how the upshifts are tuned?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    ok i got what your saying now, can you also give some insight on the kick down shifts, on how to tame those? or are those going to naturally act how they will depending on how i change the up shifts?
    Go to the Shift General tab, where it says Detent high and low and WOT high and low, raise those. High is went it goes into kickdown mode and low is when it exits kickdown mode for detent and for WOT high is the threshold when it is considered to be in WOT and low is the threshold where it is considered to be out of WOT.

Banned
    are the downshifts able to be tuned or are they just the effect of how the upshifts are tuned?
    Function of gov pressure.

Banned
    Out of the service manual...

"First, second and third gear are controlled by an electronic governor solenoid that is mounted on the valve body. The shift into fourth gear and torque converter clutch are controlled by individual separate solenoids that are also mounted on the valve body."

so how does the gov pressure effect down shift? so for an upshift i have x pressure to commence a shift. and once psi for that gear is below for that gear it will downshift?

Banned
    Keep in mind that the shift is allowed to occur anywhere within the min/max windows if all other conditions are met. When looking at the stock windows, it covers a pretty large area for each shift on where they can possibly occur.

Banned
    so how does the gov pressure effect down shift? so for an upshift i have x pressure to commence a shift. and once psi for that gear is below for that gear it will downshift?
    Should yes.

i gotcha im starting to understand thank you very much for letting me pick your brain.

Banned
    Not a problem.

Banned
    Any luck here?