Thread: Use my car as a way to flash a different PCM?

Use my car as a way to flash a different PCM?

I'm trying to help a friend out with his LS conversion in to a 1950 Ford truck. The engine, harness and PCM are from a 2004 Chevy truck. I have a 2004 GTO. I believe they are both P59 computers. Would I be able to replace the GTO computer with the truck computer so I could read and write? I need to remove VATS and all the emission codes so that he can fire up the truck when he's ready. I don't have a bench harness and using my car as one would help him so that he would not have to wait on me to go over to his shop when he is ready to start the engine.

I think that would work. Worth a shot to see if it reads.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Be careful with a falling battery voltage in your GTO that could brick his PCM. There isn't (to my limited knowledge) any recommended way to support your GTO battery during the flash writing so there will some risk here during a long write.

Rick
    1970 Chevrolet El Camino LM7 5.3 liter mill and a 4L60E transmission.

You should be able to read his PCM, but you won't be able to flash his without spending some credits. You should also be able to write changes to his files. As stated above, definitely start with a good, fully charged battery.
    Two (now Three) Hemi's, an 05 5.7 Magnum, an 06 300C SRT8 and an 06 5.7 Jeep Grand Cherokee, all somewhat modded. The 5.7's are modded almost the same with advanced (10* for Maggie and 6* for the Jeep) FRI Sidewinder cams/6.1 valve trains, ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SC, DS and HP Tuners, headers, cat. backs, underdrive pulleys, SOS coils, catch cans, 90 mm throttle bodies, plus a bunch of cosmetic stuff. 06 300C SRT8, Comp. Cammed, HPT tuned, Foose wheels, 85 mm TB.

Great, thanks!