Thread: 05 GTO surging

Potential Tuner

05 GTO surging

Im new to HP Tuners, with that said im having an issue with my 05 GTO. Recently installed Heads, Cam, Intake and injectors. I took it and had it dyno tuned. The tuner had some issues
    getting it to start without long cranking and sputtering. On the way home from the tune I noticed it was surging when I finally got out of town and was able to get to 4th gear. Its not cam surge, im familiar with that. It even does it at 2800 rpm. When I got home I found one of the vacuum lines was off. DOH! I also found another massive vacuum leak from the FAST LSXR 102 manifold.
    I pulled the manifold off and fixed all the vacuum leaks. I used a SNAP ON scanner to look at diagnostics while it was running. One thing I noticed right away is the MAF is idling close to 2lbs a minute and STFTs were way off. -3 to as much as -15. I went back to the tuner to have him do a street tune to clean it up if it needed. First hit on the street I ripped the rubber isolator on the driveshaft. I couldn't go over 2k rpms without the car vibrating. With no wide band he looked at the tune while driving and said everything was good and nothing was wrong with the tune and that the driveshaft isolator was throwing off the surging.

I replaced the driveshaft with a new 1 piece aluminum and it is still surging. I contacted the tuner to let him know and he told me there was no surging and that there is nothing wrong with the tune. I bought HP Tuners to data log and hopefully one day learn enough to make adjustments at the track. Ive made a
    data log in hopes someone can point me in the right direction. Im not looking for someone to fix the tune. Ill pay someone to do it. I just don't want to get in line with another tuner and have them tell me there is nothing wrong with the tune when everything ive read tells me there is. Again, im not looking for someone to fix it, just look and say its good or get another tuner. Thanks for any input.

2005 6.0 GTO SBE
    BTR Satge 4 Cam
    PRC 225 AS Cast heads 62cc (11.4:1 compression)
    Fast LSXR 102 Ported intake
    Nick Williams 102 TB
    XAIR CAI
    Kooks headers, Mids, Borla cat back
    42 LB DW injectors drivewith2ndgearpull.hplkarlstune.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    Surging under load is a lot harder to see in the data, especially without a cylinder airmass reading. There's a chance it could be proportional fueling driven surging...I've seen that before. Get some more data with cylinder air mass and go into detail about where the surge is, specifically regarding RPM, speed and pedal position.

Senior Tuner
    your main spark table jump 2000-2200 will cause some issues if ur constantly flowing thru it its too big of jump in spark, grab the 2000rpm and below whole lot and multiply by 1.25 will get it all closer see if that helps, and as mentioned log the cyl airmass so u can see what spark is doing on the main table, also with the maf table the 5800hz cell make the value the same in the low and high as its a cross over cell with same hz so shouldnt be different
    Last edited by 07GTS; 07-11-2020 at 10:33 PM.

Your base idle spark might need to be a little higher. It is 13 now, bump it to 17-18 and see if it idles better with that 4 cam. This timing works in conjunction with base running airflow, so you might need to modify that table when you change the idle timing. Under idle--airflow--ETC scalar, it is 5,300.0000. I have mine set at 7,300.0000 for that TB. When you change this, you have to retune. Some people get by without changing the scalar, but mine ran better at this number.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Potential Tuner
    Thank you everyone for the responses. I really appreciate it. I smoothed out the spark table jump this morning and added cylinder airmass to the log. Here is the most recent log.

20-07-12 10-35-03.hpl