Thread: T87a unlock instructions/troubleshooting help

T87a unlock instructions/troubleshooting help

I sent off my T87a TCM off the hptuners for the unlock and got it back and having some issues. This is the one and only TCM I'm dealing with that already has the 10l80 gm tune on it for my swap 68 camaro. I updated to the latest bata, followed the instructions here (http://www.hptuners.com/pub/T87A%20I...on%20Steps.pdf), well kind of... I started the relearn TCM process in the VCM scanner and it asked if I had the stock on in now and I said yes assuming it needed me to say it was in to please the instruction although I unlocked the "stock" unit so I could not do this step correctly. Then it prompted me to do something with the ECM and I canceled it because it seemed strange. My second attempt was to press the replace TCM button and when it asked if I had the stock TCM in I said no and then it basically skipped ahead to accepting the unlock and said it was complete, I cant remember word for word but it said it was complete.

Before and after doing this I was able to write the TCM perfectly fine and there was not an error. But when I drove the car no changes were made so I read the entire engine/trans tune in the editor and it gave me this message below. It also did not show any of the changes I made when I reviewed the trans tune so I'm going to assume the tune did not flash at all but there were no errors when I wrote it.

"The tune file you've just been supplied is a stock file because this control module is not readable. It is perfectly safe to use. If this module has been previously tuned, you will lose any existing changes."

This TCM is unlocked via hptuners and I have not other modules plugged in at the time. If someone has gotten this message and knows how to correct it I'd appreciate it. Also if someone has additional recommendations on how to get the tuning started on the unlocked TCM other than what I did above I'd like to hear.

In BOLD text the instructions specify having a stock TCM then replacing it with the unlocked TCM but I unlocked my stock TCM that has been unlocked.
    Last edited by jasonz28camaro; 07-11-2020 at 09:18 PM.

Sounds like all is OK. This is the deal with the T87A. They are not readable. When you try to read it you get a generic read via internet. That is why they send that message. Whatever changes you made and loaded into your 10 speed should still take affect, you just cannot read them.

That?s strange, even after the unlock. I?ll need to go in and make some radical changes to see if it did in fact take.

IARLLC I do believe you are correct, thanks for the reply. I was able to increase my 1-2 shift speed to hold 1st gear and the change took place.

One strange thing happened though, maybe someone has some input on it. When I did change the trans tune the gear/tire wizard went back to the stock setting on the engine side of things in the tune somehow. This took place on the engine & trans tune I was working off. I had a copy of the as found engine only tune to compare and this was the only change made. I ended up reloading the engine only tune after the fact to correct my gear/tire wizard changes.