Thread: not showing data in scanner other than timing advance

Tuner in Training

not showing data in scanner other than timing advance

Im new to HP tuners so please excuse me to my lack of knowledge on how to run the software and setup my parameters...

Im trying to do a MAF tune before i setup for a speed density tune. i installed an AEM x series wideband and wired it into the MPVI2 pro on the blue wire. it shows up data in the left column and so does everything else.

when i setup my graphs it doesnt populate anything.

I have an 01 corvette ls1 with vararam intake and long tube headers. did a air delete and cats. got the check engine parts taken care of but cant get scanner to log my data to make fueling corrections

Can you help me out?

I attached log files and configsmaf tune channel config.Channels.xmlfirst log drive to noahs house.hplMaf Table.Table.xml

Make sure you are logging the MAF Hz channel for creating a MAF AFR error when using the wideband.

Anything you wish to log must be present in the main channels list on the left.

Things you need to add are MAF Hz, cylinder airmass, injector pulse width avg for both banks, knock retard, commanded AFR.

And remember than if you are using the wideband to tune the vehicle must have closed loop disabled along with the fuel trims so it can't correct any fueling for you.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Make sure you are logging the MAF Hz channel for creating a MAF AFR error when using the wideband.

Anything you wish to log must be present in the main channels list on the left.

Things you need to add are MAF Hz, cylinder airmass, injector pulse width avg for both banks, knock retard, commanded AFR.

And remember than if you are using the wideband to tune the vehicle must have closed loop disabled along with the fuel trims so it can't correct any fueling for you.
    I think i understand part of this. for wide band closed loop is saying i disable ltft and i have setup my maf tune for this i believe.

the first part i dont understand. are you saying for my charts to showup on the right side i must have all the variables logged on the left column? those things i need to add being maf in hz, airmass, injector pulse width avg bank 1 and bank 2, knock retard, and commanded afr?

I just have no understanding of how the software works. so any simple talk goes a long way.

Thanks for the advice though!

The graphs, charts, gauges will only work right if the channels are logged in the list on the left.

So if you wanted to make a MAF hz channel for logging the MAF sensor, the MAF hz channels has to be logged. Then a MAF chart/graph would show that data when you made one.

Or if you want to data log for the VE table. You would need cylinder airmass and engine RPM in the channels list and then those two channels would provide the data for the graph/charts you make.

The other channels I listed are all stuff you want to watch as well. They are good information to know once you understand what you are looking at.

When tuning with a wideband you can't have the fuel trims workings. So the short term fuel trims and the long term fuel trims need to be turned off as well as the closed loop enable settings. It would be running in open loop only. So all fuel control is based solely upon the data in the MAF freq table or the VE table. Whichever one you are tuning at the time. This is where the wideband is used to log the error between the commanded and actual fueling in the tailpipe.

Once you are done with the wideband, fuel trims and closed loop can be turned back on. Watching the trims afterwards to see how close you got things using a wideband.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    maf channel #2.Channels.xml

so you are saying to set up my vcm scanner like this to be able to read and setup my editor like this

setup for maf tune first run.hpt

to be able to remove ltft fueling.

I did run it on this tune for a second but only idled and didn't record the log because it wasn't producing any data. the wideband was super rich reading like 13 the whole time so I assume its a safe tune to log on but just kinda freaks me out to disable both short and long term fuel trims.

I'm not on my laptop to look at the layout.

If you are tuning with a wideband error, fuel trims have to be turned off. The tune you posted has them disabled, which is good.

You just missed two parts. The open loop EQ ratio is set richer than stoich at operating temps (1.00) as this is common on factory tunes. It is suppose to be richer as it warms up but tail it off to 1.00 above 140 degree coolant temp.

You need to take the area above 140 degrees and make it 1.00 so it commands stoich in open loop. All the data you gather past this will show you how rich or how lean your MAF or VE is compared to what is commanded. If it's asking for 14.68 but the wideband shows 14.0 while driving then your error graph is going to show that difference. You'd apply that error to the MAF curve or VE table to correct it.

You also want to lower the dynamic airflow high rpm disable down to like 200/100rpm instead of 4,000/100rpm. This way it's more of less just running off the MAF instead of a MAF/VE blend up to 4,000rpm. You'd do the opposite when VE tuning, setting it to 7,000/6,900rpm and disabling the MAF sensor in the tune so it only uses the VE table.

Tuner in Training
    I can remove the richer than stoich part for above 140. thats in the open loop EQ ratio under fuel i assume. easy edit.

Two more things then.

One after adding the parameters you requested i add, I got the AFR err table to populate and started to log that. part good!

however the MAF table is still blank. I have both Hz and the SAE MAF being logged but it wont show up anything. is it possible my math is wrong? im using an aem wideband so i just used the math from that and changed the inputs to blue wire on the pro link and engine rpm i think. followed recommended guides for setting up math i found on here. do i need to have the math on my left hand column as a data point for the graph to work?

You also want to lower the dynamic airflow high rpm disable down to like 200/100rpm instead of 4,000/100rpm. This way it's more of less just running off the MAF instead of a MAF/VE blend up to 4,000rpm. You'd do the opposite when VE tuning, setting it to 7,000/6,900rpm and disabling the MAF sensor in the tune so it only uses the VE table.
    I dont have a dynamic tab. airflow only has general. i assume that means dynamic does not exist on this motor?

Click edit, view > advanced. Then all tables will show.

Tuner in Training
    wow I hate how I didn't see anyone explain that step

Tuner in Training
    Good news I got it to read! was missing a few more parameters on the left hand side it turns out. got the MAF tuned and it is now on to speed density!

Thanks a ton!