Thread: Please help with trans tuning

Potential Tuner

Please help with trans tuning

I have had help tuning my swap. LS6 into a 78 Cutlass. 4l80E. Currently a 2.95 rear.
    other mods are stage 2.5 heads and a BTR stage 4 cam. 42lb injectors. The motor seems to run fine but it shifts into 2nd even when 1st is manually selected. It performs shifts from drive the same. It shifts into 2nd at about 15 mph and then into 3rd immediately. I read on here about the Bluecat software and used it to apply to the tables required in HP Tuners, Would someone please look at the original file supplied by my tuner and to the file I modified and tell me where I am wrong. I have not ran the car with the modified file yet or until I get some help here.

original file from tuner is latest tune file read July 6 2020 mot 2.hpt
    modified file is latest tune file read July 6 2020 mot 3 bluecat table.hpt

Do you have any logs too?

The blue cat file looks better for transmission shift speeds.

Side note here, your tuner I guess didn't know to change the cylinder volume for the LS6 engine size so technically the MAF and VE tables are incorrect as it was thinking it's a 5.3 the whole time. I've seen wonky engine tunes make the transmission not shift correctly.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I included a log file
    I would like the trans to stay in 1st when selected
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'm pretty sure that without a manual valve body the transmission is going to upshift to 2nd gear no matter what if you spin it all the way out.

The log says that something is off though. It's showing knock retard just at idle and tons of knock just driving around. Has very weird MAP readings at low rpm and the fuel trims aren't very good, it's doing a lot of work to correct the fueling. For sure needs more street tuning with a wideband.

And make sure nothing is rubbing like the exhaust or engine on the body/frame, that can make it pick up knock.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I had several conversations with my tuner after I posted this. There are some problems with the injectors which he has been trying to fix but the injectors (rebuilt Motorcraft) are not responding. I swapped those out and have replaced them with Bosch 42lb. A new tune file is in place too. We spoke about the knock which is obviously a big issue. No interference problems but I noticed a squeal off of idle. Not a belt issue as spraying the pulleys does not fix it. Im down to the alternator or the water pump. The conversation with the tuner alleviated some of the questions I had about the trans tune. Honestly though I'm ready to sell my HP Tuners and truck computer and go with +erminator Max X

To prevent the trans from shifting into 2nd with the selector in 1st, raise the D1 Urban 1-2 shift speed.

For the short shifting when the selector is in Drive, you probably are getting a P0121 code. Set the P0121 max to 105 kpa & the min to 0 kpa. Also log TPS voltage, if you're over 4.785v at WOT, you will need to raise the TPS High Fail.

Russ Kemp

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    To prevent the trans from shifting into 2nd with the selector in 1st, raise the D1 Urban 1-2 shift speed.

For the short shifting when the selector is in Drive, you probably are getting a P0121 code. Set the P0121 max to 105 kpa & the min to 0 kpa. Also log TPS voltage, if you're over 4.785v at WOT, you will need to raise the TPS High Fail.

Russ Kemp
    Noted, thanks

Potential Tuner
    So this may be a dumb question but where can i find the Blue Cat tables to download to make adjustments to my transmission? I have a 4L65e and im having shifting issues or lock up issues not really sure so was told to download blue cat but I cant find the tables to download. Thanks for the help in advance.

if someone could e mail me the tables I would appreciate it.

[email protected]

Thank you for your help
    Last edited by Nachoss; 07-19-2020 at 12:42 AM.
    Na Cho SS
    2006 Silverado SS

Potential Tuner
    Just do a search on here for Bluecat table...I tried to post the link but I'm tech stupid I guess
    Last edited by c_smalling; 07-19-2020 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I'm pretty sure that without a manual valve body the transmission is going to upshift to 2nd gear no matter what if you spin it all the way out.

The log says that something is off though. It's showing knock retard just at idle and tons of knock just driving around. Has very weird MAP readings at low rpm and the fuel trims aren't very good, it's doing a lot of work to correct the fueling. For sure needs more street tuning with a wideband.

And make sure nothing is rubbing like the exhaust or engine on the body/frame, that can make it pick up knock.
    I looked on here for a recent post of yours, so I am pirating this one because as I had ran across one comment you made in a post from some time ago and sent you a Private Message about it. I wondered if you had been able to see the PM and maybe comment to help me out please and thanks

JIM
    Last edited by 00GrcyGtr; 07-20-2020 at 05:13 AM.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
    2000 Regal GSE
    2007 Trailblazer SS