Thread: T87A TCM modules, how to verify it will work with my truck

Potential Tuner

T87A TCM modules, how to verify it will work with my truck

I have a 2018 Sierra with the 6.2L/8 speed transmission and would like to get an extra T87A TCM so I can swap out the original and keep it unchanged. I do not want to have it unlocked for tuning at this time but I am trying to determine which ones will work with my truck. There seems to be a large # of different codes on them and not a lot of info on what they mean. I'm sure I will have to get it programmed for my VIN but I should not have an issue with that. I just don't want to spend money on one and then have it turn out to not work with my truck. Any info would be appreciated.
    2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L Max Tow
    1994 Camaro Z28 6 speed manual (heavily modded)
    1989 Camaro IROCZ Z28 350 TPI

Advanced Tuner
    GM Parts Direct says the part number is 24279973, which is what all the T87As I have here show also. In many cases, GM will show interchange part numbers, so if you find one that has a different part number, you might be able to get a dealership parts department to tell you if they interchange. Good luck!

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by tunerpro View Post
    GM Parts Direct says the part number is 24279973, which is what all the T87As I have here show also. In many cases, GM will show interchange part numbers, so if you find one that has a different part number, you might be able to get a dealership parts department to tell you if they interchange. Good luck!
    Yes, that is the part # and that is what I ended up getting. My main concern was all the other codes that appear on the sticker. I went ahead and got one yesterday so hopefully I can get it programmed and try it out sometime next week. I'll update what happens after that.
    2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L Max Tow
    1994 Camaro Z28 6 speed manual (heavily modded)
    1989 Camaro IROCZ Z28 350 TPI

Senior Tuner
    If it doesn't not have the same program i could not get it to work in my 2017 Z06. I would be sure it has the same program number.