View Poll Results: Which is best for 1st timer?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Used MVP1 & buy credits as needed

0 0%
  • New MVP2 w/2 credits

2 100.00%

Thread: Looking to buy HP Tuners

Tuner in Training

Looking to buy HP Tuners

I'm looking to buy the software so I can hook up to my personal cars and a few friends cars. Eventually I'll send/share data logs with my tuner for adjustments once I'm good with moving around the program. For now just disabling AFM on our yukon and looking at the issue im having with my fuel gauge in the vette (c6z)

My question is about the BT option on the MVPI2 system. Does anyone experience any lag with it, or connectivity issues with their laptops?

Everyone in the past has always had the MVPI1 witht the cable always hooked to the Laptop. I know BT is less cables, and stuff to carry around, but are there more issues with it than its worth?

Orig. i was just going to find a used MVPI1 but don't know what is best for me.
    Can you guys recommend to me what I should start with?

Thanks in advance!!
    Last edited by ~STOLEN~; 07-14-2020 at 10:31 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    As a MPVI1 user that upgraded to the MPVI2, I would say start with the MPVI2.

The BT option is for logging only right now. It works pretty well. I prefer real time using the cable. BTW, theres only one cable to deal with using the MPVI2, vs 2 cables for the MPVI1.

The MPVI2 supports newer platforms. Works for me since I tune GM, Mopar and Im getting into Nissan/Infiniti.
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

Senior Tuner
    It really depends on the use of the cable both present and future. If you want to do most vehicles 2015ish and newer then the MPVI2 is the only way to go. MPVI1 is no longer being supported for the latest and greatest stuff.

However, if your intention is to stick with older vehicles I would suggest an MPV1 with the oldest firmware you can find. MPVI1 credits/licenses are stored right on the cable. There is no need to make an internet connection every time you want to use the thing. Also, should hpt ever have a server failure or even shut down, MPVI2 would cease to function. MPVI1 would carry on until the unit failed or you ran out of credits and usefulness.

Each has its advantages and benefits. One is built for the future with ongoing support with some annoying requirements, one can standalone but has predefined use range and no support.

Personally I have found the BT to be nothing special and use a cable at all times.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    We recommend the MPVI2 to all customers unless they absolutely can't be without standalone datalogging. MPVI1's are old tech ie 2005 tech, and haven't been built/sold since 2018 and are all out of warranty and have limited support GM/Ford/Dodge only. The vast majority of our user base has since updated to the MPVI2 interface.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Hey guys, thanks for replying so quickly. Good info to start with there.

My vehicles are Both gm, and will stay that way going forward. The cars I'll be scanning are 07 z06 and 14 yukon denali. Then other buddies cars when needed which are all LS motors 05 & up.

I have a Innovate MTX-OL wideband I would like to wire in on the vette

NOW, that being said.....im not the most tech oriented person when it comes to setting up wifi hot spots and stuff, so the 1st gen cable sounds better for those issues, BUT....when im done with this c6z ill be getting a newer c7z etc so the tech and product support could help in the future thats already built into the MPVI2
    There arent very many MPVi1 cables out there for sale either. So if i buy one and it breaks, then ive literally wasted that money where as i could have just started with the MPVI2 to begin with.

ALSO, to check out on the website and buy the products, is the username/password on the forum carry over to the website? Thanks
    Last edited by ~STOLEN~; 07-14-2020 at 12:06 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by ~STOLEN~ View Post

ALSO, to check out on the website and buy the products, is the username/password on the forum carry over to the website? Thanks
    The forum and the website are completely separate.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"