Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trans temp does not work.... Pontiac G8 / Chevrolet Caprice

Potential Tuner

Trans temp does not work.... Pontiac G8 / Chevrolet Caprice

I've got the iOS version of the app... using the VEEPEAK Bluetooth adapter.... Everything appears to work fine for the OBD part of the app, except the trans temp... reads 32 degrees on both my 2009 Pontiac G8 and 2013 Chevrolet Caprice... I downloaded the app to show me oil temp, oil pressure and trans temp ...... all work BUT the trans temp.... Anyone offer any insight?

The data channel selection list will only show parameters that the vehicle is reporting values for, but sometimes we do see these show up where it just reports the default value, or a bogus value, the entire time. In that case, then most likely the vehicle either does not actually have that sensor, or it is reporting it via a different method than this app is using.

While we are working on using our MPVI2 device to provide a far greater list of available parameters in the future (similar to VCM Scanner), there can still be some like this that just don't give us actual data, depending on the vehicle.

I posted some additional explanation and insight on TrackAddict's current GM enhanced parameters here: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post617025

Potential Tuner
    I'm in a similar situation. Transmission Temperature is a critical piece of data to have for racing.
    Unfortunately, using the Android version of TrackAddict + OBDLink MX, I'm not seeing it as an option.

I've verified that it is available on my vehicle: using the OBDLink MX and the Torque Pro app on my Android device, I can monitor the Transmission Temp.
    PID 221940 (GM method 1), Equation: A-40, OBD Header: 7E2

Any idea why it isn't showing up in TrackAddict?
    Would there be any possible way to get it to work (ex. is the source code available to help with development and testing)?
    Is this a limitation of the Android version of TrackAddict (vs. "Pro" version on iOS - I don't have an iPhone to try it)?

TrackAddict has been great so far, and the Live Telemetry feature is fantastic. The Transmission Temperature is sorely missing.

Context from the other post you linked:
    Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    Yes, TrackAddict has included some enhanced parameters for GM vehicles. These were developed prior to the inclusion of HP Tuners IP, so they are more limited and generic than what you'd find in VCM Scanner, and are provided on an as-is basis. We also have an MPVI2 firmware update coming that will greatly expand upon this for MPVI2 users, but I don't have a date nailed down for that yet...

In the meantime, there are two ways to access what TrackAddict has today:

1) Use an MPVI2 with TrackAddict for Android. This is a free bonus for our MPVI2 users.

2) Use the "Pro" version of TrackAddict for iOS. Note that 3rd party devices may have varying success with these enhanced parameters.

Here's the list of GM parameters that we'll try to detect in the current version of TrackAddict (as of July 1, 2020). What's actually available or working from this list will vary depending on the vehicle:
    Code:
    Accelerator Pedal position
    Brake Pedal: off/soft/hard
    Clutch Pedal
    Oil Temp
    Barometric Pressure
    Commanded Air/Fuel Ratio
    Knock Retard
    Cycles Without Emission Fault
    Cycles Without Other Fault
    Mileage Since Code Clear
    Fuel Level
    Oil Pressure
    Transmission Fluid Temp
    Gear number and/or ratio
    Steering Wheel Angle (early C7 Corvettes, maybe some others)
    Individual Wheel Speeds (early C7 Corvettes, maybe some others)
    High-Res Vehicle Speed (early C7 Corvettes, maybe some others)

I have a similar issue logging engine oil and transmission oil temps on my 2017 Z06 Corvette.

The last time I was able to log Oil Temp and Transmission Fluid Temp as at a June NASA event at HPR. In August, those OBD2 channels were no longer listed/available to select in TrackAddict but I chalked it up to my old iPhone battery expanding and separating the screen from the phone body that day. However, in looking at my CSV data files, in June, the TrackAddict version was 4.4.3 on IOS 12.2 using a GoPoint BT1 OBD dongle. In August, when the data could not be logged, the TrackAddict version was 4.5.1 on IOS 12.2 using the same GoPoint BT1. I am using the "Pro" version on my iPhone. It would seem that something changed in the newer TrackAddict version. Using a different iPhone today with the same TA version but a newer IOS version (12.4.8), the oil and trans channels are still not listed.

The oil and transmission temp values are very important to me in a C7 Z06 so hopefully this functionality can return in an updated version.
    Last edited by dsomz51; 09-27-2020 at 01:39 PM. Reason: added more info and corrected typos

Quote Originally Posted by dsomz51 View Post
    I have a similar issue logging engine oil and transmission oil temps on my 2017 Z06 Corvette.

The last time I was able to log Oil Temp and Transmission Fluid Temp as at a June NASA event at HPR. In August, those OBD2 channels were no longer listed/available to select in TrackAddict but I chalked it up to my old iPhone battery expanding and separating the screen from the phone body that day. However, in looking at my CSV data files, in June, the TrackAddict version was 4.4.3 on IOS 12.2 using a GoPoint BT1 OBD dongle. In August, when the data could not be logged, the TrackAddict version was 4.5.1 on IOS 12.2 using the same GoPoint BT1. I am using the "Pro" version on my iPhone. It would seem that something changed in the newer TrackAddict version. Using a different iPhone today with the same TA version but a newer IOS version (12.4.8), the oil and trans channels are still not listed.

The oil and transmission temp values are very important to me in a C7 Z06 so hopefully this functionality can return in an updated version.
    I've been trying to replicate this issue with my own C7, but the enhanced GM channels are available and functioning as expected for me in 4.5.1 Pro for iOS with a GoPoint BT1, so my main suspects are either a configuration issue or something with TrackAddict's new VIN decoder (overhauled in v4.5)...

There are a few things to check:

1) On the Setup options screen, when OBD is enabled, click the 'i' gear icon under it to access its advanced options menu, and if it says "Enable Advanced Features", tap on that. You want this menu to instead offer the "Disable Advanced Features" action, meaning that they are currently enabled, which is the default.

2) Ensure that the vehicle's ignition is on (or engine is running) when the app is making the OBD connection. Sometimes we see failures or incomplete data when it's not powered up. C7's do tend to automatically power things down after a few minutes if the engine is not running, however I've not had much problem with this in TrackAddict myself.

3) Go into the "Select Channels / Scan Codes" screen, scroll down to verify if any of the enhanced GM channels are listed or not.

. a) If they are, you should be able to tap to select the channels you want and use them. Some vehicles may report a static value (typically 0, -40, or 32F) for channels that it does not actually support, but this behavior is the same as most previous versions.

. b) If they are not, click the button to go to the Live Monitor, and take a look at the year/make/model reported. If it's not being identified as a Chevrolet, then this is the problem. Either it's not able to get the VIN, or is not decoding it properly.

In the event that it is the VIN decoder, the good news is that there was an odd bug found and resolved recently, so the next app update will likely fix this issue. I hope to release that update within the next week or so, however Apple's review process always adds a variable number of days to this process...

Advanced Tuner
    Obviously not a C7 here.....but should I be seeing some GM enhanced PIDs with the MPVI2 as well? Just got it a few weeks ago, so I don't have any old app versions to compare to. Running latest version on Android. It seems to recognize my car and OS just fine.

Screenshot_20200929-163939.png

Screenshot_20200929-163929.png

Advanced Tuner
    Well I see as of just a few mins ago I have update for TrackAddict with note about MPVI2 supported added...standby further testing

Advanced Tuner
    No change with latest version. Is this only a thing for new CAN vehicles perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by aaronc7 View Post
    No change with latest version. Is this only a thing for new CAN vehicles perhaps?
    With the MPVI2 on Android, you should typically see some enhanced GM channels available for selection even on these older VPW vehicles. That combination definitely doesn't get used nearly as much as CAN, and the handling is a little different for VPW, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bug I need to fix here.

I need to do some development with the same family of PCM that your C5 uses for another project, so I'll be sure to also test with TrackAddict while I'm at it...

Advanced Tuner
    OK sounds good. Mine is a little weird because the car is a 2003, but I'm running a 2004 Corvette PCM (P59). But it's the standard/most common OS, so I can't think of any other reason why it wouldn't be detecting things correctly. If you need any help with testing stuff, let me know.

I've been trying to replicate this issue with my own C7, but the enhanced GM channels are available and functioning as expected for me in 4.5.1 Pro for iOS with a GoPoint BT1, so my main suspects are either a configuration issue or something with TrackAddict's new VIN decoder (overhauled in v4.5)...

There are a few things to check:

1) On the Setup options screen, when OBD is enabled, click the 'i' gear icon under it to access its advanced options menu, and if it says "Enable Advanced Features", tap on that. You want this menu to instead offer the "Disable Advanced Features" action, meaning that they are currently enabled, which is the default.

2) Ensure that the vehicle's ignition is on (or engine is running) when the app is making the OBD connection. Sometimes we see failures or incomplete data when it's not powered up. C7's do tend to automatically power things down after a few minutes if the engine is not running, however I've not had much problem with this in TrackAddict myself.

3) Go into the "Select Channels / Scan Codes" screen, scroll down to verify if any of the enhanced GM channels are listed or not.

. a) If they are, you should be able to tap to select the channels you want and use them. Some vehicles may report a static value (typically 0, -40, or 32F) for channels that it does not actually support, but this behavior is the same as most previous versions.

. b) If they are not, click the button to go to the Live Monitor, and take a look at the year/make/model reported. If it's not being identified as a Chevrolet, then this is the problem. Either it's not able to get the VIN, or is not decoding it properly.

In the event that it is the VIN decoder, the good news is that there was an odd bug found and resolved recently, so the next app update will likely fix this issue. I hope to release that update within the next week or so, however Apple's review process always adds a variable number of days to this process...
    Ok, last night I went through all the steps above. For step 3a, the oil and trans temp values were still not displayed. Went to Live Monitor in step 3b, and only the VIN number was displayed along with the live data from other channels I selected. There was nothing that said Chevrolet. Under the VIN, the following was also displayed:

Calibration VN's: CDAC, 138F, 9799, F46E, 3474, 700A, 95C0, 6925, AAAAAAAA
    OBD Protocol: ISO 15765-4 (CAN 11/500)

I guess I'll have to wait for the new update to be released. Too bad this is not an option to install an older version from the Apple Store.

Quote Originally Posted by dsomz51 View Post
    Ok, last night I went through all the steps above. For step 3a, the oil and trans temp values were still not displayed. Went to Live Monitor in step 3b, and only the VIN number was displayed along with the live data from other channels I selected. There was nothing that said Chevrolet. Under the VIN, the following was also displayed:

Calibration VN's: CDAC, 138F, 9799, F46E, 3474, 700A, 95C0, 6925, AAAAAAAA
    OBD Protocol: ISO 15765-4 (CAN 11/500)

I guess I'll have to wait for the new update to be released. Too bad this is not an option to install an older version from the Apple Store.
    Thanks for the update. Sounds like the VIN decoding is failing, which explains why it's not attempting the enhanced GM parameters. I did find and fix two bugs that could have caused this, one of which specifically affects certain iOS users and is likely the cause here. I uploaded the update to Apple yesterday, as version 4.6.0, so now we're waiting for their review process... Assuming there are no issues or surprises from Apple, this typically takes a couple days.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like the VIN decoding is failing, which explains why it's not attempting the enhanced GM parameters. I did find and fix two bugs that could have caused this, one of which specifically affects certain iOS users and is likely the cause here. I uploaded the update to Apple yesterday, as version 4.6.0, so now we're waiting for their review process... Assuming there are no issues or surprises from Apple, this typically takes a couple days.
    Thanks, Weston. On a side note, I just received a Dual XGPS160 and will be using it at HPR on Sunday to improve GPS tracking for my recordings. I'll look forward to the TrackAddict update in a few days and hope it will be available for the NASA weekend for the following weekend. See you there. Mark

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the information Weston. I tried out the latest update for Android with my OBDLink MX, but still no luck getting transmission temperature to display in TrackAddict.

I've tried on two similar PCMs: 2002 Camaro PCM (411), and also a 2001 Suburban. Both show a tranny temperature when using Torque Pro (so I know the data is available), but TrackAddict doesn't give it as an option. I did verify that TrackAddict is picking up the VIN and properly identifying the year/make/model.

Any chance this will be fixed or added (for ELM-based OBD2 dongles)?

Potential Tuner
    Hi Weston,

I've seen some older threads, going back to 2016, discussing the possibility of adding custom PID support to TrackAddict. Is this still on the "future feature list"?

TrackAddict is pretty awesome, and that would be a possible way to allow users to get Transmission Temperature, or any other OBD2 info that isn't going to be officially added for generic OBD2 dongles (ex. OBDLink). There are a couple of competing apps that support custom PIDs, but they don't have the Live Telemetry (yet).

Mainly, I'm trying to remotely monitor the transmission temperature (and other important PIDs) from the pits, so the driver doesn't have to be distracted/pestered to check it. TrackAddict is very very close, but is missing this one PID. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

OK sounds good. Mine is a little weird because the car is a 2003, but I'm running a 2004 Corvette PCM (P59). But it's the standard/most common OS, so I can't think of any other reason why it wouldn't be detecting things correctly. If you need any help with testing stuff, let me know.
    I got a P59 in front of me right now and have found the problem. Turns out it was a small omission in TrackAddict's communications with the MPVI2, which didn't seem to matter on CAN vehicles, but did for enhanced parameters on VPW. The fix will be in the v4.6.1 update, which should be released within the next few days...

Quote Originally Posted by jcarlson View Post
    Hi Weston,

I've seen some older threads, going back to 2016, discussing the possibility of adding custom PID support to TrackAddict. Is this still on the "future feature list"?

TrackAddict is pretty awesome, and that would be a possible way to allow users to get Transmission Temperature, or any other OBD2 info that isn't going to be officially added for generic OBD2 dongles (ex. OBDLink). There are a couple of competing apps that support custom PIDs, but they don't have the Live Telemetry (yet).

Mainly, I'm trying to remotely monitor the transmission temperature (and other important PIDs) from the pits, so the driver doesn't have to be distracted/pestered to check it. TrackAddict is very very close, but is missing this one PID. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.
    Unfortunately I don't have an ETA on that at this time. Our priority has shifted a bit, as the need for custom PIDs would be well satisfied for the vast majority of parameters when we complete our MPVI2 datalogging firmware, which is expected to go into internal testing next week. That will make a plethora of juicy data available (most everything you can get in VCM Scanner), but it would of course require an MPVI2 Pro.

As for your specific need of Trans temp, that would theoretically already work in TrackAddict Pro for iOS with an ELM device, or TrackAddict for Android with an MPVI2, *if* this parameter is also available from the 7E0 engine controller... It often is on GM, but your earlier post mentioned 7E2. You could test this by changing Torque to use 7E0 and see if it still gives you good data. If it really does need 7E2, then it would have to wait for either the MPVI2 firmware or custom PIDs, as this legacy GM support comes from an old part of TrackAddict that doesn't extend well to multiple controllers. One of the many reasons we'll be offering a better approach for the MPVI2.

Advanced Tuner
    Tried the new Track Addict update on android today with my MPVI2 and 2004 C5Z.

Enhanced GM params are now showing!

One observation though. Even only logging SAE params.... I notice the MPVI is quite a bit slower than my Obdlink MX. With the MX I might get 5hz logging 6 things. Probably about 2 hz with the MPVI.

Is this expected with the way it's currently implemented and do you think we will see improvement in the future with this firmware update?

Tried the new Track Addict update on android today with my MPVI2 and 2004 C5Z.

Enhanced GM params are now showing!

One observation though. Even only logging SAE params.... I notice the MPVI is quite a bit slower than my Obdlink MX. With the MX I might get 5hz logging 6 things. Probably about 2 hz with the MPVI.

Is this expected with the way it's currently implemented and do you think we will see improvement in the future with this firmware update?

Unfortunately TrackAddict's pass-thru use of the MPVI2 takes a hit from Bluetooth and certain other lags, and VPW and PWM don't lend themselves to optimization like CAN does (where we can frequently beat other top OBD-II devices).

The upcoming MPVI2 Pro datalogging firmware should be a substantial improvement for all cases, with the catch that it can take a few additional seconds to get started, as we're offloading a lot of work to the device itself.

For the P59 on my bench with 5 basic SAE parameters selected, I get about 3 Hz in the current pass-thru mode (will be called "Legacy Mode" in the future MPVI2 mode selection), and around 10 Hz with the upcoming firmware. Or, when using the "Motorsports" defaults option for MPVI2, it grabs 19 data channels, with the fastest of them being around 3 Hz. Of course, a bench PCM may perform differently from one that's in a running vehicle, but things seem to be looking pretty good.

Advanced Tuner
    Unfortunately TrackAddict's pass-thru use of the MPVI2 takes a hit from Bluetooth and certain other lags, and VPW and PWM don't lend themselves to optimization like CAN does (where we can frequently beat other top OBD-II devices).

The upcoming MPVI2 Pro datalogging firmware should be a substantial improvement for all cases, with the catch that it can take a few additional seconds to get started, as we're offloading a lot of work to the device itself.

For the P59 on my bench with 5 basic SAE parameters selected, I get about 3 Hz in the current pass-thru mode (will be called "Legacy Mode" in the future MPVI2 mode selection), and around 10 Hz with the upcoming firmware. Or, when using the "Motorsports" defaults option for MPVI2, it grabs 19 data channels, with the fastest of them being around 3 Hz. Of course, a bench PCM may perform differently from one that's in a running vehicle, but things seem to be looking pretty good.
    That sounds really good for VPW and wireless connection! I'm also interested to check this out when it arrives on my other car which is a lot newer/CAN (2017 Audi S3). Looking forward to the firmware update.