Thread: Lubrication Settings, Requested pressure?

Lubrication Settings, Requested pressure?

A while back I had the dealership do a TSB for oil consumption on my 2018 F150 with the 5.0. One of the few changes that I noticed in the tune was to under System>Variable Oil Pump>Minimum>Lubrication. They increased the lubrication in over half the cells.

My question is, are the numbers in these cells a threshold to set a error code for low oil pressure warning or are they requests for oil pressure? If they are requests for oil pressure I would like to increase this figure to see if it can help solve some of the noises that the 5.0 is known for.

Thanks in advance!

ECU Oil Control update.pngStock Oil Lubrication.png

Gen 3 coyote has a solenoid on oil filter adapter that controls the pressure which works quite good believe or not.

Those values really represents the actual requested oil pressure - now you still have a relief valve built in oil pump so you can't go above certain value.

Gen 3 noises are coming form shitty chain tensioners - ford redesigned the VCT actuator for exhaust valve...gen 2 was stout there, gen 3 is not...
    Last edited by veeefour; 07-15-2020 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by veeefour View Post
    Gen 3 coyote has a solenoid on oil filter adapter that controls the pressure which works quite good believe or not.

Those values really represents the actual requested oil pressure - now you still have a relief valve built in oil pump so you go above certain value.

Gen 3 noises are coming form shitty chain tensioners - ford redesigned the VCT actuator for exhaust valve...gen 2 was stout there, gen 3 is not...
    Well I'd like to see what changing the pressure does to engine noise. It's my understanding that the Chain tensioners are oil pressurized so maybe increasing oil pressure can help.

Some people claim that increasing oil weight, to say 5w-40 or 5w50 has helped or eliminated their noise issues. I'm not saying this is true, but thought I'd mention it.

but the pump will not make any more pressure - it's rpm dependent

According to what Ford tells us on the technician side, the TSB on the 5.0's for oil consumption (2018+) is due to high manifold vaccum during DFCO events.

The TSB involves installing a different dipstick with a 2qt operating range, changing the oil and setting it exact on the MAX line, and finally reflashing the PCM with a strategy that supposedly changes the DFCO (decel fuel cutoff) strategy so the are less instances of high manifold vaccum which is supposedly causing oil draw by the stem seals and piston rings during the 'high' manifold vaccum events in DFCO.

I currently have two trucks in shop for oil consumption due to this, one the TSB did nothing and consumption rate is at 2 qts/6k miles.

veefour has it, 2018+ 5.0 has some issues to work through. Gen2 was pretty solid. Phaser design on the exhaust cam 2018+ went to the same design as the Eco's have ran, which is known problematic.

However, the 2018+ seem to be more potent N/A and on boost vs gen 2's, the addition of both DI and port was also a plus.
    '17 Whipple'd S550
    Too many other projects to list.....see my YouTube channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7...-XfDG53sCh6tcw

WHY they are messing with the pump volume settings for that TSB.....that's interesting!
    '17 Whipple'd S550
    Too many other projects to list.....see my YouTube channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7...-XfDG53sCh6tcw

Quote Originally Posted by 96gt4.6 View Post
    WHY they are messing with the pump volume settings for that TSB.....that's interesting!
    I thought it was weird too which is why I asked this question, maybe it will help something. I am aware that the pump will not put out more than it physically can at a given rpm, but I Still might try to get more at low rpm. If I lose a hair bit of fuel economy for reduced noise, I'll take it. Maybe it will help with cam phaser issues(or not, IDK).

I can post the two stock tunes if you want.

I think the cam phaser issues are a combination of faulty phasers that allow the oil to leak out too easy and the thin oil wearing allowing them to wear to fast. I know my eco is quieter with 5w-40 than 30.

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyMS View Post
    I think the cam phaser issues are a combination of faulty phasers that allow the oil to leak out too easy and the thin oil wearing allowing them to wear to fast. I know my eco is quieter with 5w-40 than 30.
    Interesting. In the 5.0 truck world people are often doing the same thing and some are saying that 5w-40 is the ticket. I'm trying 5w-30 right now and it does seem quieter but i still hear it a bit. Keep in mind the 5.0 has 5w-20 recommended.

I've always wondered if auto start/stop had anything to do with phaser failures.

Running 5w50 in our cars - that 5w20 is like a pee...

Quote Originally Posted by mechanicboy View Post
    I thought it was weird too which is why I asked this question, maybe it will help something. I am aware that the pump will not put out more than it physically can at a given rpm, but I Still might try to get more at low rpm. If I lose a hair bit of fuel economy for reduced noise, I'll take it. Maybe it will help with cam phaser issues(or not, IDK).

I can post the two stock tunes if you want.
    That would be great! I have wanted to see what the TSB alters in the tune.
    '17 Whipple'd S550

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by veeefour View Post
    but the pump will not make any more pressure - it's rpm dependent

There is an actual bypass switch that bypasses the amount of oil pressure you would normally have at idle, when this closes for instance say in park no load around 3000rpm oil pressure SHOOTS to 90psi from 15psi hot idle...SO id say if it was closed at idle and cruise below 3000rpm, it WOULD raise the oil pressure....While I know there is a relief valve inside the pump on my 3 new engines it seems to top out somewhere in the 5500rpm range and not gain anymore or much more with 5w50 ( supercharged )....

They put this oil pressure bypass and the active grill shutters on my 2019 to improve gas mileage in stop and go and at normal cruise.....im definitely thinking about turning it off....15psi across 3 different engines...id just prefer more ive seen 9psi heat soaked with 5w20 at idle....then shoot to 75 when bypass closes.....

interesting ive been thinking about it and ford seems to be as well....

That would be great! I have wanted to see what the TSB alters in the tune.
    Here they are. First is the stock tune that the truck came with when I bought it new, the second is the update they did for oil consumption. I personally don't like out the OC one drives, especially in the mountains. Even with only 1,000 lbs in the truck it feels like I'm holding the throttle just a tad when going downhill. You have to downshift to get the engine rpms up above 5k rpm before it feels like you have any engine braking. For towing it's a shit tune.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for that!

You can certainly see where they changed the DFCO to help with the oil consumption on these.

I got to thinking, the OEM scan tool always loads the latest calibration when doing an update for anything, it's not specific to the TSB that is being done. There is also a TSB on these for VCT rattle at part throttle, I bet the lubrication setting changes are for that concern (and therefore rolled into this calibration).
    '17 Whipple'd S550

Tuner
    Thanks for that!

You can certainly see where they changed the DFCO to help with the oil consumption on these.

I got to thinking, the OEM scan tool always loads the latest calibration when doing an update for anything, it's not specific to the TSB that is being done. There is also a TSB on these for VCT rattle at part throttle, I bet the lubrication setting changes are for that concern (and therefore rolled into this calibration).
    I know this thread is old but did anyone ever disable the variable oil pump tab in their tune? I noticed my truck has it disabled and it's a 2019 F150 5.0 with an ODIN and a fuel system.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan5.019 View Post
    I know this thread is old but did anyone ever disable the variable oil pump tab in their tune? I noticed my truck has it disabled and it's a 2019 F150 5.0 with an ODIN and a fuel system.
    Sure, many times as this is not really needed. Only there for emission. Some later calibrations like Mach1 has this disabled stock.

The way the system work makes it safe to disable completely. Solenoid will just bleed the pressure via tiny hole, really no big of a deal when pump is at max flow.