Thread: 3.4 grand am

3.4 grand am

How much TQ management can I remove from a 3.4 grandam without killing the transmission? I am thinking about 50%? Also any advice on shift changes?

You can probably disable the engine TM, but without a kit installed in the trans, I'd leave the shift torque reduction in there. You can reduce it, if you're so inclined, though.(Since you're new, just know that I figured it out the hard way. lol!)

I may have a factory freak, but I've disabled all TM and increased shift pressures and I'm shifting at 6800rpm all on the stock tranny. I seem to be ok (obviously not recommended) and I've driven over 100 000km like this.

Good luck!
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1

That or I had/have the factory freak(s). My first went out @ 7K miles...2nd one aint feelin too hot anymore too and i got some tq reduction before the shifts in there too..

Guess they just dont make em to hold up to teen drivers, eh?

Ok I upped the Engine TQ from 380 to 420 on the Engine->TM->General-> Max TQ vs Gear and on Engine -> TM -> Max TQ vs Gear vs Rpm

That too much.. the car seems to stay in one gear alot better

Quote Originally Posted by turbo lcc
    How much TQ management can I remove from a 3.4 grandam without killing the transmission? I am thinking about 50%? Also any advice on shift changes?
    On the V6 cars, I remove all the upshift & downshift torque reduction after I get the shift pressures set up so there is no slip at the wot upshifts.

Russ Kemp

ok.. what pids do you monitor to adjust shift pressures? or do you just up them by X amount?

Check some of my posts about increasing trans pressures by adding 0 to 60 psi using the Interpolate Between Horizontal Bounds method.

Russ Kemp

Senior Tuner
    Also, Xonelith, has a bin in the repository that has some of the stuff you are looking for. Search for GA's with all model engine and trans and a couple will come up. Be sure to review his write up and use the parts you want. You could try the full file and remove the stuff that you don't like as well

http://www.hptuners.com/customers/tune.php?
    Last edited by MMGT1; 11-15-2006 at 05:08 AM.