Thread: Bully Dog to HPT tune compatibility

Bully Dog to HPT tune compatibility

Truck is a 2003 Duramax with an Aurora 5000 turbo kit. This kit was installed back in 2006 along with a bully dog outlook tuner. Back then, bully dog had provided a tune for this specific kit. Nothing wrong with the tune, truck has been running great since.

However, the customer wants to update the tuner(using it as a gauge display) to something more modern. The goal here is to keep the same tune currently in the truck but install a different tuner/gauge display, without corrupting or losing the tune. The bully dog GT is ruled out due to not having custom tuning for this truck and the potential to overwrite the current tune.

My thought is to use hp tuners to read and save the tune, and still be able to make small adjustments such as tire size. Then purchase the hpt ngauge for the gauge display.

My question is, being that the truck was not tuned with hp tuners, will reading and writing the current tune with hpt work or would there possibly be any compatibility issues here?

I wouldn't do it because HPT has removed a lot of features that had to do with emissions for legal reasons.

any recommendations for a gauge display that wouldnt require a retune?

Edge CTS2 give you what you need?

Wouldn't hurt to try. I have read out a handful of BD Tunes from different vehicles you can usually read them fine. Shouldn't have any issues tuning a 03 D-Max no emissions.