Thread: cold idle problem

Potential Tuner

cold idle problem

I have a stroked and supercharged LS3 (big cam also and cable throttle) in a holden monaro and since day 1 of having the motor installed and tuned by a workshop it has never idled that well, most notably when cold. once things warm up to a set point its ok, however I cant figure out which values are changing at that point to fix the idle. I have attached the log, at 57 sec you will see things somewhat stabilise. I have upped the idle speed and cracked the throttle more, neither help. Can anyone lend a hand?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    800-1200 rpm in the idle spark will be adding timing so if it increases idle it will also then increase spark further increasing idle kinda opposite to what u want to have happening, try all 22 in all idle areas u see and a bit wider see if it helps then if the adaptive needs to they can control idle bit easier, and keep cell transitions a bit smoother also as just jumping up 5 deg is noticeable at idle

Advanced Tuner
    First thing that stood out to me is that your idle air control motor is fully open. You should let the engine get all the way up to temp and then open the throttle blade until the motor is just barely working. But I just noticed that it shows your at 2 percent throttle even when your foot is off the gas. You can reset the tps sensor to a point but it you go too far it won't go to zero percent. So you might need to just drill a hole in the throttle blade. You should get the tps to read 0 percent when your foot isn't on the gas. Since it is reading 2 percent it won't go into adaptive idle unless you go under the spark tab, then advance, then change the minimum tps to like 3 to 4 percent. Also I would change the cold throttle under power enrichment to to 45 percent like it is at higher rpm. At idle its commanding 11.84 afr. Its not actually that according to your wide band so you will have to make changes in the ve table to get suff to jive.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the suggestions fellas, I'll make those changes and see how it goes.

Advanced Tuner
    log idle trims (STIT)

your throttle is at 2% from start up. needs to be 0% so it enters correct idle stratergy.
    looks like it needs more air as the IAC is wide open. add some BRAF. you may need to open the blade stop more and re-set the 0% position, or drill a hole in the blade

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan_axberg View Post
    First thing that stood out to me is that your idle air control motor is fully open. You should let the engine get all the way up to temp and then open the throttle blade until the motor is just barely working. But I just noticed that it shows your at 2 percent throttle even when your foot is off the gas. You can reset the tps sensor to a point but it you go too far it won't go to zero percent. So you might need to just drill a hole in the throttle blade. You should get the tps to read 0 percent when your foot isn't on the gas. Since it is reading 2 percent it won't go into adaptive idle unless you go under the spark tab, then advance, then change the minimum tps to like 3 to 4 percent. Also I would change the cold throttle under power enrichment to to 45 percent like it is at higher rpm. At idle its commanding 11.84 afr. Its not actually that according to your wide band so you will have to make changes in the ve table to get suff to jive.
    Hey Ryan, My TPS voltage is .8 at idle and I cant seem to reset my TPS to 0%, is .8 too high to reset?

Advanced Tuner
    I'm not sure, if you google sloppy mechanics iac relearn he has instructions on how to do it. If you can't you can always start with like a 1/16 hole in the throttle blade and really slowly make the hole bigger. It can be easy to go too big if your not carful.