Thread: What does "filter" do for a chart selected in "Chart Display Layout Editor"?

Advanced Tuner

What does "filter" do for a chart selected in "Chart Display Layout Editor"?

There is a box in the VCM Scanner 4.6.3 labeled "filter" with the units of ms in the "Chart Display Layout Editor" for any selected chart item. This is *not* the filter function in the graphs. The value is zero for all my charts except when I added a AFR sensor, it defaulted to 100 ms. But changing that to zero seems to make no difference. What does that "filter" box control? Is it an averaging or update cadence control?
    Last edited by pannetron; 11-10-2021 at 08:40 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    So I guess no one knows?! In case it isn't clear, I attached a pic of the "filter" field in question...
    2021-11-10_18-25-18.jpg
    Last edited by pannetron; 11-10-2021 at 07:28 PM. Reason: added pic

Advanced Tuner
    Its for filtering out transients, such as on and off the throttle. It waits that many milliseconds before data is recorded.

Advanced Tuner
    And you should be using Lambda, its easier

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by danmw2003 View Post
    And you should be using Lambda, its easier
    Thanks for the reply! Agreed and I do use lambda in my graphs. I've set that "filter" value between 10 ms and 5000 ms w/o seeing any difference in displayed chart line when playing back a log. Since you mentioned "recording," is that filter only effective while recording a log, not in displaying a previously recorded log? Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, just trying to learn as much as I can ;-)

Senior Tuner
    future filters only show when watching the log back, past filters work live, if u want to see where a filter is working or not just use the filter alone in a maths pid and it will show 1 or 0 if ur accepting data or ignoring data and u can overlay that in the chart v time to see where u are with the filter itself

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for that info on future vs. past filters. I understand and use those "expression-type" filters in my graphs. But the "filter" field in the *CHART display layout editor* accepts only a single numeric value, not an expression. That's why I asked my original question about that specific field. Sounds like it's simply a "past filter" smoothing (averaging) filter.
    Last edited by pannetron; 11-11-2021 at 09:51 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    The chart display filter is only for the number displayed during live scanning.

See post #2 - https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...isplay+filters

Advanced Tuner
    Bingo!! Now that makes sense and answers my question! Thanks for linking off to that thread! I call this case closed.