Thread: tune not pulling timing with high iat

tune not pulling timing with high iat

hit 170* iat (post rotors) and car did not pull any timing. can someone look at my tune and this log and help me figure out whats wrong. I have it start pulling timing under iat tab early but it doesnt appear to pull any. I have a cavatation issue at the pump I'm addressing now as this setup should never see anywhere near that temp. Also, I know my tune needs some work but slowly getting there

pass1 7-10-20.hpl
    mcmillan.hpt

Looks to me that it is pulling timing from IAT. You won't see it in the form of KR in the log, but you can see that where you are in your spark table during the pull that you are commanding 19*, and you never see that, as well your spark progressively decreases through the pull as IAT rises.

if you look at the launch, timing rises to 17 and rides 17 - 16.5* the entire pull save for when i had to pedal it due to it stepping out on me on 2nd gear shift.@ 170* it should have been pulling 5* at 6500. i rev to 7100. it never approached 19* at all or pulled 5*when iat rose. thats my problem im trying to figure out. lucky i didnt lift a head.
    Last edited by sportinawoody; 07-23-2020 at 09:09 PM.

Maybe I'm missing something but how did you determine it should be pulling 5*.Refernce.PNG I'll use this point in the log as reference. Spark Tables.PNG

From this reference point, your borderline table is asking for 19*. The IAT is roughly 170. The IAT Correction Base is -40.00 at 170F. The IAT correction multiplier at 1.5 Load and 6500 RPM ( Since the table doesn't go any farther out ) is 0.064. (-40.00 *0.064) = -2.56

The log show approximately 16.5* at this spot, 19 - 2.56 =16.44.

This is how I came to my conclusion.

damn. I rewrote those tables and rescaled. I was looking at the wrong tune edit. That makes sense but why then will the car not see 19* as commanded ? In the beginning when it was seeing 128* iat it never went above 17* ? I notice vid octane adjust which is a borderline correction is at -3* above .9 load but I’m not sure what VID stands for or what it accounts for. Should I maybe zero that whole table out? My problem is an old tooner ditches my stock file so I’m trying to use an older file from same car with different blower combo so I’m having to fix what I have. His shit never ran right on my car so this is somewhat an uphill battle for a green horn. Thanks for the help

It never saw 19* of timing because of IAT. I don't think VID Octane Adjust is in play here because you'd have seen far less timing.

If we look at the beginning of this pull at 6500 RPM , Load 1.99, IAT 130*. Its seeing almost 17.5*. The IAT spark adjustment was roughly 1.5* here , which is the difference in commanded timing here. As the IAT spark table sits above, to see no adjustment you would have to be at 80* IAT and lower.

To simplify those tables, you could set the multiplier values to 1, and then set the exact amount of spark you'd like to be taken out a given IAT.

Example IAT Spark.PNG Like this for example.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by sportinawoody View Post
    damn. I rewrote those tables and rescaled. I was looking at the wrong tune edit. That makes sense but why then will the car not see 19* as commanded ? In the beginning when it was seeing 128* iat it never went above 17* ? I notice vid octane adjust which is a borderline correction is at -3* above .9 load but I’m not sure what VID stands for or what it accounts for. Should I maybe zero that whole table out? My problem is an old tooner ditches my stock file so I’m trying to use an older file from same car with different blower combo so I’m having to fix what I have. His shit never ran right on my car so this is somewhat an uphill battle for a green horn. Thanks for the help
    Starting at 100 degrees it's pulling timing. At WOT 2.0 load you have:

100= -20*0.064= -1.28 degrees
    170= -40*0.064= -2.56 degrees

So your base borderline is 19* @ WOT , 5250rpm and up. The range from 100 degrees to 170 degrees IAT will be 16.44 to 17.72. The log shows 'Borderline' EXACTLY in that range @ WOT 5250rpm+
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt22 View Post
    Starting at 100 degrees it's pulling timing. At WOT 2.0 load you have:

100= -20*0.064= -1.28 degrees
    170= -40*0.064= -2.56 degrees

So your base borderline is 19* @ WOT , 5250rpm and up. The range from 100 degrees to 170 degrees IAT will be 16.44 to 17.72. The log shows 'Borderline' EXACTLY in that range @ WOT 5250rpm+
    Exactly

awwwww fuck! now i feel like an idiot. thanks guys.i dont really know the standard for how to determine when and how much to pull but this is what ive started with. opinions on how far im off are appreciated basically it pulls right at 1* @ 135, 2.5* @ 150 & 5 * @ 175 all at 6500 and 1.1 load and i changed the scale

iat base correction 1.hpt
    Last edited by sportinawoody; 07-23-2020 at 11:29 PM.