Thread: New to HP tuners! Please take a look at my tune setup and tell me how I could improve

Tuner in Training

New to HP tuners! Please take a look at my tune setup and tell me how I could improve

Hello!

I am new to HPTuners and tuning. I am a mechanic in training.

I would like some help if possible. I have an 05 Crown Vic LX. I have used the MAF data from a P71 to allow the P71 intake box to work properly (to avoid pinging and stuff). I have also adjusted some other settings such as transmission pressures.

It is all stock bottom end on the engine and stock transmission. It uses the 4r-70w (some people get confused on whats in what). Almost 234k on the clock.

Where could I make improvements to have better response and perhaps a little more power? I am a single person team, meaning no dyno so it is all in the street drive to figure it out.

I have attached the stock tune and my current tune in the thread so it can be looked at.

Thank you!!

Tuner in Training
    I have an updated tune because of some drivabillity issues
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    You need to smooth out the maf curve. And you need to post a log.

MAF is not good, at all.

what do you believe your going to gain on a tired 15 year old engine? I get it you want to play around but exactly where are you looking to improve performance?

airflow - fueling - spark - I cant imagine anything making it run better except maybe replacing some old sensors for accuracy and doing a tune up.

Tuner in Training
    When you say the maf is bad, do you mean the chart is bad or is the sensor itself bad? I?m not sure how you mean it. I have a tune I?m using that I have since changed a couple things again.

But I?m looking for a bit more torque and a bit more power per gear if possible

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CrownVictus View Post
    When you say the maf is bad, do you mean the chart is bad or is the sensor itself bad? I?m not sure how you mean it. I have a tune I?m using that I have since changed a couple things again.

But I?m looking for a bit more torque and a bit more power per gear if possible
    The MAF Curve should be smooth, a 'curve'. In the tune you posted, it is rough.. but i've seen worse.

Your MAF:

MAF Curve.PNG
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt22 View Post
    The MAF Curve should be smooth, a 'curve'. In the tune you posted, it is rough.. but i've seen worse.

Your MAF:

MAF Curve.PNG

I have a curve that i think is working well for me. There are also some other changes ive made too

Advanced Tuner
    I have a curve that i think is working well for me. There are also some other changes ive made too
    Much better. Hopefully your fuel trims are good....
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.

Tuner in Training
    Much better. Hopefully your fuel trims are good....
    What sort of fuel adjustment would you say is good to make? I'm definitely learning quite a bit and im sure theres room for improvement

EDIT: I have a couple more changed done as well
    Last edited by CrownVictus; 08-19-2020 at 09:35 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Post the matching log.

Tuner in Training
    I am not sure how to log data. Is there a way to set things up? I don't mean to be annoying about it

Advanced Tuner
    I am not sure how to log data. Is there a way to set things up? I don't mean to be annoying about it
    Wait what? You have not data logged yet???? Are you just writing changes to your calibration w/o any logs? That's like painting a car with your eyes closed.

Tuner in Training
    Wait what? You have not data logged yet???? Are you just writing changes to your calibration w/o any logs? That's like painting a car with your eyes closed.
    I mentioned I was new and I was not advised how to do data logging. I can do some with forescan but I would prefer to do it with the mpvi 2. What sort of PIDs should I monitor and how do I even log? I have no idea genuinely. I?ve only been able to tune based on some research and my butt dyno

Advanced Tuner
    I mentioned I was new and I was not advised how to do data logging. I can do some with forescan but I would prefer to do it with the mpvi 2. What sort of PIDs should I monitor and how do I even log? I have no idea genuinely. I?ve only been able to tune based on some research and my butt dyno
    Alright here ya go:

VCM Scanner is what you use to datalog. VCM Editor is what you use to tune (which you already know).

Read through this: http://www.hptuners.com/help/VCM-Scanner/

Find some threads where people have posted datalogs and look at what channels (PIDs) they commonly use. I would find some threads with the year range of your car. The basics PIDs are gonna be like: Engine RPM, Vehicle Speed, Timing Advance, Knock Retard, Mass Airflow & MAF period or voltage, Short Term and Long Term Fuel Trims (bank 1 and 2), etc. Don't log too many channels or the resolution will be impacted. Be sure the important channels are set to a fast polling rate, but not everything is needed to be fast (e.g. ambient temp can be slow update). Log everything you NEED to target what you're trying to tune.

As far as what other's have said about you tuning a tired engine... well that's true and I would be concerned about modifications to push the engine or trans harder w/o a rebuild of both of those first. Be careful with this. That said I don't see anything wrong with learning to tune especially since one day you might end up tuning a muscle car if you retire the Vic lol.

Hope this helps!

Tuner in Training
    I have some data logs, hoping to make things a little better. Where could I make improvements now?

Tuner in Training
    I have some data logs, hoping to make things a little better. Where could I make improvements now?
    First, You need to get you a wideband in there, like tomorrow. Youre going WOT/open loop and you're basically in the dark when it comes to fueling.

I see your long trim fuel trims are 10-11% lean under WOT. But I don't trust that. Id get a wideband before you even begin to adjust your fueling.

Lastly, do more research/read books about EFI. It's best to understand what you're changing and why, not relying on someone to tell you. Not trying to be harsh but if you understand EFI, it'll make your tuning easier, faster and better 100% guaranteed.
    Last edited by howeverthe5oh; 09-07-2020 at 11:01 PM.

Tuner in Training
    A little late to respond, but do you have a wideband sensor kit you recommend? and could it plug into the factory harness?

youd have to find an open input on the ecu that could be read by in VCM scanner and then convert the voltage to what ever scale is needed for useful data.

easiest would be the pro feature set or wideband that has its own logging built into the controller. several name brand widebands that you shouldnt have issue with just make sure it has analog outputs and some guys are more partial to sensors that can be free air calibrated too.

you could log the wideband and vcm separate from each other but on the same laptop/same time and do a screen log on your laptop. several ways to get the data in and get it to line up with a pull.