Thread: DBW sluggish

Potential Tuner

DBW sluggish

What parameters are modified to increase response or provide quicker response on my DBW? or are there any? Maybe it's me but it seems sluggish. 2006 GTO.

Tuner in Training
    I had some luck playing with the Throttle Area tables.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...Table&p=613835

Made super slight changes. Heard not to do too much...

^^^ E40 has none of those fancy tables.

Its not the dbw throttle body. You will have to tune it to get better throttle response. The tb opens and closes just as fast as your foot works.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakegoat View Post
    Its not the dbw throttle body. You will have to tune it to get better throttle response. The tb opens and closes just as fast as your foot works.
    Eh, it's heavily filtered. And more so in recent years. It would take a lot of effort to actually go in and rip out all of the torque shaping and buck bobble mitigation.

I do know however that production controllers have a 'dyno mode' that ties the pedal position directly to the throttle...but it is hard coded disabled, non-calibratable. I've talked with Steck about possibly getting HPT to patch that and make a lot of happy customers...

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul06GTO View Post
    What parameters are modified to increase response or provide quicker response on my DBW? or are there any? Maybe it's me but it seems sluggish. 2006 GTO.
    Increase the ETC TPS Max table substantially. Some people even max out the table. It makes a big difference on that model.

And if your not actually seeing a delay in the throttle opening which you probably aren't, you might be seeing the effects of too much Burst Retard at tip in. Factory has it set way to aggressive.

On my 2010 E38 LS3, I actually slowed the opening rate alot, it was 100%, now it's 3%, I had Whipple pressure surge, this took care of that.

Regarding the filtered TPS data, they went torque based in the newer years in an attempt to try to get the same torque value at the wheel regardless of gear or RPM, all based on Pedal Position vs MPH which has some nasty side effects. For example, my 2016 and 2019 Silverado, if I brake torque at 5% pedal in 1st gear, I may have 10% TPS opening. If I switch to manual 2nd gear, same pedal, now my TPS jumps to 30-50% and motor working much harder to maintain the same torque at the wheel, but the whole point in going to manual 2nd gear is so I have less torque/sensitivity (like when trying to accelerate when on ice!). LOL. VERY ANNOYING, but easily fixable already. It also creates general driveability problems with the 5.3, whereas the 6.2 truck motor does not have this problem, I think they spent more time fine tuning the 6.2, it's annoyingly sensitive on the 5.3. I have logs of TPS going to 100% on my 5.3 when I'm just taking off normal, then TPS pulling back to 40-50% as RPM comes up just a few hundred RPM, all with constant pedal %. I hate this!

The only thing it is actually good for is towing, where it will work to keep RPM as low as possible by essentially running 100% throttle blade open at say 3000rpm in 5th gear, while only at 25% pedal position without actually wanting or needing to upshift to 4th wheres the older trucks would upshift then you constantly fight a speeding up or slowing down situation. With this torque based pedal, when you want just a little more mph or torque then you press pedal just a bit more, say to 27% and it will get the additional torque required by upshifting to 4th, but cutting TPS back to say 60% to achieve that slight increase in torque without going to far requiring you to pedal back like cable connected throttles, since these would be making way more torque in a lower gear with the same pedal position, thus causing another shift, then the process would start over when you let off a bit, shifting back and forth.

So in the towing aspect, the torque model works very well. It sucks everywhere else though. lol.
    Last edited by 10_SS; 07-29-2020 at 02:59 PM.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires