Thread: How does one learn how to calibrate M133 17.7.2 - e.g. GLA45 AMG?

Tuner in Training

How does one learn how to calibrate M133 17.7.2 - e.g. GLA45 AMG?

We now have access to calibrate the Mercedes MED17.7.2 and others... is there any resource to understand what to do from here that is offered from HP Tuners?

for this type of thing you'll need to register for a tuning school. what I can tell you about this is that a tuning school would not be able to educate you on Bosch Motronic tuning if this is what you're looking for. how to utilize HPTuners yes but not how to tune a Bosch Motronic ECU. each version of the Bosch computer uses completely different parameters and reference calculations. without the drive to learn a new language you're essentially SOL.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by hachiroku View Post
    for this type of thing you'll need to register for a tuning school. what I can tell you about this is that a tuning school would not be able to educate you on Bosch Motronic tuning if this is what you're looking for. how to utilize HPTuners yes but not how to tune a Bosch Motronic ECU. each version of the Bosch computer uses completely different parameters and reference calculations. without the drive to learn a new language you're essentially SOL.
    On board for schooling, but interesting comment on the ECU. Would seem like an extremely narrow market and odd HPTuners would even bother with access if one requires knowledge of the Bosch ECU. (how many calibrate AND understand it in the world? - cant be that many). Most of us are not a Greg Banish, but we all got by with some sort of reasonable understanding. You are saying this is not the case for MB?

Potential Tuner
    I am keen to embark on same journey with lsguy. Seen too little support from hptuners for A45 even the car is supported in the list and paying 8 credits.

Quote Originally Posted by lsguy View Post
    On board for schooling, but interesting comment on the ECU. Would seem like an extremely narrow market and odd HPTuners would even bother with access if one requires knowledge of the Bosch ECU. (how many calibrate AND understand it in the world? - cant be that many). Most of us are not a Greg Banish, but we all got by with some sort of reasonable understanding. You are saying this is not the case for MB?
    HP Tuners is simply a software tool to access maps. How to tune the computer is strictly Bosch Motronic and understanding how each map relates to calculations for power delivery. A GM LSx tuner who is well versed in HP Tuners will not be able to tune this platform easily as the logic that drives what maps do and how they function is entirely different.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by hachiroku View Post
    HP Tuners is simply a software tool to access maps. How to tune the computer is strictly Bosch Motronic and understanding how each map relates to calculations for power delivery. A GM LSx tuner who is well versed in HP Tuners will not be able to tune this platform easily as the logic that drives what maps do and how they function is entirely different.
    You have missed my message completely. Yes, it is a tool to access the ECUs/PCUs and yes a GM vs Dodge vs Mercedes will all have their unique and limited transfer across platforms. We all get that. Since LS1EDIT (yes, Im getting old), there was at least some level of leak down from the ones who architected and understand the Manufaturer calibration process to provide the building blocks to get to where we are today with Dodge and GM.

what is in my message that is odd to me is that HP Tuners saw that it is valuable enough to provide that tool. But where are the Greg Banishes? Perhaps we are all looking in the wrong places, but maybe you know?
    who is the Greg Banish for Bosch ECU calibrations?
    what school?
    something --- anything?
    was this a tiny market for HP Tuners to a pick at?

Thanks

The merc community is more tight lipped than some of the others when it comes to sharing info ive come to realize. If you have a decent grasp on how an engine and its various computers function together to make power you'll figure it out. Data log many many times, then make small changes to see if you are seeing positive improvements. HP is also very limited in what maps are available for us to modify, so that can be challenging when you start changing parameters yet see no change in power or data.

Quote Originally Posted by lsguy View Post
    what is in my message that is odd to me is that HP Tuners saw that it is valuable enough to provide that tool. But where are the Greg Banishes? Perhaps we are all looking in the wrong places, but maybe you know?
    who is the Greg Banish for Bosch ECU calibrations?
    what school?
    something --- anything?
    was this a tiny market for HP Tuners to a pick at?

Thanks
    LOL, just digging this up. I am the Greg Banish

All kidding aside, I have just started digging into the Bosch controls for another project. The good news is that once I'm familiar enough with the constants/tables/units specific to this control system, I should be able to present a clear approach just like I have done for other ECUs.