Thread: E-Fan Hysteresis Settings Not Working or I Need Explination?

E-Fan Hysteresis Settings Not Working or I Need Explination?

I upgraded my Charger R/T cooling from single to dual fans, thicker radiator, oil cooler, and from 203?F thermostat to a 180?F.

A tuner reduced the e-fan settings by 22?F (226 to @205?F) but for the Low Speeds he reduced them by 32?F (217 to 185?F).

So I wanted to test the high speed and after getting it up to operating temp I had to put a blanket over the grill to get it to go higher then 196?F idling and the fans came on high speed at 201?F according to SRT pages instrumentation.
    As soon as I removed the blanket they went back to low speed. It never raised above 201?F.

Now with a 37.4?F Hysteresis I was not expecting it to react so quickly. I dropped the blanket and looked at the gauge and it was @199?F.

I'm new to dialing in e-fans according to t-stat opening temps. Any help or guidance, links to said would be great.

Thanks
    2013 Dodge Charger R/T Plus, Stock 5.7L, Edelbrock E-Force Stage 1, 3.25" Pulley, 450-HP 459-TQ.
    Corsa Sport CatBack, 3.06:1 Wavetrac, Dual Fans, 1-7/16 Radiator, Mopar Oil Cooler
    2005 Radix'd Silverado L33 5.3 ECSB Z71 @ 387-HP 395-TQ

Potential Tuner
    I know its an older thread however im in the same situation. Would be nice to see some responses and input.

I never let go of the question, have some kind of idea now. At least one function of the Hysteresis is to keep the fans from toggling on/off in an over reactive manner. Such as if you have a fan set to come on @206?F and it does, then drops to 205.5?F and shuts off. Kind of a bobble prevention. But the size of the number has me thinking there is more to it than that.
    I have toyed with fan settings (not Hysteresis) and suffered but hopefully learned.

Lots of folks out there drop in a 180 T-Stat under the impression they need to lower their fan on temp settings or their fans will run too much. A fully open T-Stat is fully open no matter the temp rating, and all its going to allow is how low temp the coolant can run. MOPAR OE set Chargers and the like to come on hi @226?F, if going over 8mph it will come on @226?F or what ever the Hysteresis enters into the function.

If under 8mph it will not shut off until it reaches the low speed fan temp number. There is a 9? spread between 226 & 217. I have deviated from this noticing when parked there is lots of short cycling. I put the spread back in and it stopped.

Some think moving down to a 180?F t-stat they can lower their hi speed on so they come on sooner parked in city traffic (I've seen them set as low as 195) but in turn they risk the fans running at highway speeds which is unnecessary wear. How I Know,

05072330AB_right_2695_fan.jpg
    2013 Dodge Charger R/T Plus, Stock 5.7L, Edelbrock E-Force Stage 1, 3.25" Pulley, 450-HP 459-TQ.
    Corsa Sport CatBack, 3.06:1 Wavetrac, Dual Fans, 1-7/16 Radiator, Mopar Oil Cooler
    2005 Radix'd Silverado L33 5.3 ECSB Z71 @ 387-HP 395-TQ