Thread: Disabling Theft 2009 Silverado 5.3

Potential Tuner

Disabling Theft 2009 Silverado 5.3

Have a 2009 Silverado BCM quit working so got new one but can't program it because GM has locked out the software since the truck has a salvaged title. Since neither BCM will work I can't start the truck because the theft system works through the BCM connecting the theft module and ECM. Now my question is how can I disable theft in the ECM? I went in and didn't see it anywhere, was hoping I could get some help with this, I have done several before but this one just isn't showing up. Thanks in advance for any help.

It's in the 'OS' tab on Gen4s.

As an aside, how does GM know anything about the status of the title, given that laws as to 'salvage' status vary so much between the 50 states? What if you live in a state where rebuild/repair and then an inspection can un-salvage a title? I own a truck just like that - totaled in Georgia, repaired and inspected in Mississippi, issued a clean MS title. VIN still worked thru TIS, still works today.

What do you do if a VIN gets reported as 'salvage' to GM in error? Who do you call?

Potential Tuner
    I looked on OS but didn't see it, I'll relook, Thanks. We have programmed prob over 200 GM modules since we got our PassthroughPro 10 years ago, never have had many issues on GM vehicles, this is the first time we've run into this, got a code E4398 or something saying don't replace the module, probably download related, and to call AC Delco. Sure enough, called they said code was for no download, was because of branded title, GM would not release the software to me or the customer or anybody apparently! Never heard of such, called customer title shows rebuilt all over the title, so they said nothing else can be done. So here we are. Must be new GM lawyer rules or something. We told them this truck was put back together probably better than alot that were not totalled then repaired, but they were not swayed.

Make sure the view it set to advanced under the edit tab too. If it's not, nothing will show up in the OS tab.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Finally got it, Thanks to blindsquirrel and 5FTP! I didn't have view set to advanced, after that there it was, then I didn't do write entire like I should have and it didn't take the first time. Second time worked great. Still can't get GM to budge on the title sitaution, but at least now he can drive the truck now. Thanks again!

Yep, GMs TDS/SPS people are not nearly as good to work with as they were just 4 or 5 years ago. For you, I think there is a better option. GM had an older programming system that was dvd based. Something like TIS2000 if I remember right. I cannot remember what year it cuts off but it seem like it covers most of GEN4. I use SPS a lot more so as to get the newest updates but for GEN3 and most of GEN4 if you just need to replace a module their old disc based system works and does not require their permission. You can probably find a copy of it online.

AFAIK the last offline version of TIS2000 sent to dealers had full coverage for 2008, only partial coverage for '09.