Thread: 03 3500 trying to clean up

03 3500 trying to clean up

Hello. I have been searching the forum and online. I even ask people. I don?t get a straight answer. So here I am. Asking who I should have first . I have a 03 5.9 drw. I bought the truck with some upgrades. But motor wise stock. What I was told. No tune no tuner but has +70hp injectors. So it smokes like a loaded down semi. Even at idle I can see a haze from tail pipe. As soon as I give it throttle. Light or heavy. It pukes black. Without redoing injectors I would like to dial the fuel back a bit as my plan is in near future. I already have just have to clean it and install a 451vgt turbo. I have the stand alone computer for it But as the truck sits this is what I have
    03 3500 drw
    Stock turbo
    Cold air
    70hp injectors
    Fas fuel
    4? turbo back
    Upgraded torque converter
    I?m assuming the smoke is from over fueling with stock tune
    For motor wise that?s it. Future plans. Head studs and 451vgt turbo , 6 level sotf switch and maybe put a muffler back in lol any one with info would be great as I started to go through the software and I got more lost lol. I?m just scared if I take too much fuel away that I will hurt the motor
    Thanks

Also I found the laptop I’m using is a piece of ��@&$&. And was thinking a surface 3 or better. But on a budget. I like the touch screen and then I could also work it into my stereo build for the truck maybe. Or just get android for that. Does any one else use a surface pro to tune. ? Do you find 10-12” screen too small or should I just get a 17” laptop. Might be cheeper then surface. Lol.

Potential Tuner
    Depending on whose injectors those are, some are dirtier than others. It's probably been 10 years since I was in that field but F1 used to be some of the best on the market.

As for tuning, I use a 4 yr old Surface Pro and haven't had any issues. When I need a bigger screen I just connect to my TV.
    2014 Silverado - Long tube headers//Volant Intake//L86 Intake//L86 Throttle Body//3" Exhaust//AFP Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by drwoffroad View Post
    I take too much fuel away that I will hurt the motor
    Can't lean out a diesel, they have no throttle already. They are controlled by fuel only. So no worries there. Too much injection timing is the easiest way to hurt a diesel. So start slow, or better yet don't touch the timing tables too much if you don't know what your doing.

You could start by taking the pulse width table and subtract like 20% across the board. This shouldn't hurt anything and should give you a good idea as to if your on the right track. I'm not saying this is proper, but its quick and dirty and will probably get you moving in the right direction. Bigger injectors don't flow the advertised percentage "more" across the board evenly they typically flow the advertised increase up top and less of an increase towards the bottom end, again however this might help you get started.

I use a macbook air for my laptop ruining windows.
    Last edited by BigCE; 08-18-2020 at 08:40 PM.

thanks guys ya both good info for me to poke around i will start playing around with it soon just a bit busy with work right now
    03 3500 drw auto
    70hp injectors
    4" turbo back straight
    fass fuel
    cold air