Thread: Gen IV E38 Help Needed

Potential Tuner

Gen IV E38 Help Needed

Here's my problem. I'm working on a LS swap where the owner has a BRAND NEW 5.3 that would have been for a 2009 ENVOY. He bought a 4l60, wiring harness, computer etc. from what he was told was a 2008 Tahoe. I've built the harness and got it ready to load the tune but laptop will not communicate with ECM. I connected laptop to ECM on the bench with just power and data and it talks fine but I found out the E38 ECM came from a 2013 Yukon with a 6L60 trans. Does anyone have a base, get it running tune that I can put in the computer? Owner is not interested in any type of performance tuning just need to get it running with the 09 5.3 and 08 4l60 and TCM. Hope this makes sense and thanks for any help. I'm pretty good with the Gen 3 stuff but this Gen 4 stuff has me all confused.

Robert

An OS/platform change like that has to be done with GM MDI/Tech2+TIS, since HPT can't reflash the two 'hidden' electronic throttle segments. It was OK on Gen3 stuff since those used an external TAC, on Gen4 that hardware is inside the ECM and inaccessible with HPT.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the reply, had to read it 3 times for it to make sense. I'll need to locate an E38 computer with a 4l60 trans. I'm glad I did not waste credits trying to flash it.

Yes, E38s are cheap as old dog turds, you can probably buy one 'programmed to your VIN' (or the VIN of your choice, something that matches the trans/TCM/harness) for the same cost as paying someone to flash the one you already have. There is only one '08 Tahoe file in the repository, check it out and see if it looks usable, you can copy the VIN and use it for the new ECM programming.

Potential Tuner
    I picked up a 08 silverado ecm for $35 and solved all my issues. We should get it running tomorrow. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!!!!!!!