Thread: 408 ci dyno tune still knocking??? help !

Potential Tuner

408 ci dyno tune still knocking??? help !

ok, so I have a LQ9 408 ci motor 10.9 compression heads with texas torquer v4 cam high rise intake with 102mm T/B. i have been working on the tune myself and thanks to everyones help on the forum, I have learned alot and was able to tune the vehicle myself. I did go to a dyno shop to clean up my tune and get a good dyno number 470HP and 430TQ. but my question is I noticed on a pull the engine reads knock and pulls timming but I cant figure out why??? I have recently went to a Track Day event and engine felt very good added 101 octane fuel and did a log an noticed its still reading Knock on a hard pull?? Also noticed my dyno numbers on HP Tuners are much lower than the dyno...maybe my formula is incorrect??? but double checked it seems correct...

SO to those of you who have WAY more knowledge than me please look over my tune and log and please tell me what you guys think??? what to make sure my dyno tune is done right.... and didnt just pay money for nothing! the tuner did tune it in open loop and I changed to back to closed loop. just my preferenceCutlass after dyno tune with ltft.hplCutlass tune after dyno with LTFT.hpt.

It has a lot of spark advance at heavy throttle... more than I'd expect it to need. It needs to be tuned on a dyno. I know you said it was done, but that WOT advance curve did not come from (proper) dyno tuning.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

That 8* knock retard is caused by a knock sensor DTC.

Russ Kemp

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    That 8* knock retard is caused by a knock sensor DTC.

Russ Kemp
    Nice; I didn't open his log, just the cal.. but the car has 27.5 deg across the board/to the top starting at about 3600 RPMs. Probably good it's yanking that much..
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

And both timing tables mirror each other, it couldn't yank timing away even if it wanted too. It would knock and just slam the same timing right back in once the knock went away, possibly making it a never ending knock situation.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    ..... I also noticed the same tables.. the dyno tunner said he has always "tuned" it that way.. exactly what I read to watch out for.. so would say the timing curve is way off? And change the high low octane tables!!

Advanced Tuner
    11:1 comp, pump fuel and 28 degrees.... wow