Thread: 2001 7.3 tuning failure

Tuner in Training

2001 7.3 tuning failure

Has anyone tuned or tried to tune a 7.3 yet?

I have noticed a lot of odd or possibly incomplete tables in HPT. If I try to click the 2-1 Downshift TV pressure table, HPT crashes. Under Engine General, the engine displacement is listed as 1.15g, I also suspect some tables are missing or broken for transmission shift points and torque converter control.

I have changed the ABS block to calibrate for the 37" tires and 4.10 gear using FORscan, but trying to tune the shift points in HPT doesn't seem to work properly. At around 40-42MPH the transmission will command the torque converter locked, then unlocked, then locked, in an endless loop. I have tried adjusting the TC 3rd gear apply with no change at all, and moved the shift point for 4th gear up to 50mph to eliminate that as a cause.

VCM scanner also crashes when I attempt to connect to the truck, attempting to connect with VCM scanner while running the truck will shut it off immediately.

Tuner in Training
    For anyone who may wind up here on a search, HPT cannot edit certain parameters and there are a number of different strategies that were used for 7.3 vehicles. In addition to that, Ford used adaptive learning, this makes shift schedule adjustments useless and results in confused shifting sometimes back and forth between OD TCC apply and 3rd gear for instance.

You will be better served by moving to a PHP Hydra and Minotaur, with FORscan for diagnostics and data logging, if you want to custom tune your own vehicle, as I have.

HPT may be great for newer vehicles, I use it almost exclusively for my GM vehicles...but the support for the 7.3 in it's current state will only make your vehicle drive worse.

and thats about what i expected. half the reason i bought it, the 7.3 i have. and the other which has already failed terrible. 99-04 mustangs. great stuff! lol

Quote Originally Posted by elementaltoad View Post
    For anyone who may wind up here on a search, HPT cannot edit certain parameters and there are a number of different strategies that were used for 7.3 vehicles. In addition to that, Ford used adaptive learning, this makes shift schedule adjustments useless and results in confused shifting sometimes back and forth between OD TCC apply and 3rd gear for instance.

You will be better served by moving to a PHP Hydra and Minotaur, with FORscan for diagnostics and data logging, if you want to custom tune your own vehicle, as I have.

HPT may be great for newer vehicles, I use it almost exclusively for my GM vehicles...but the support for the 7.3 in it's current state will only make your vehicle drive worse.
    Send logs, and issues to support. Eric will get them fixed up. If certain parameters are missing he can get them added as well. Just email support.
    2008 J2 F-350 CCSB

Potential Tuner
    has any one had any luck with the 7.3 powerstroke mystery???

following...

2003 f-250 7.3 problem reading

Quote Originally Posted by iceboy1369 View Post
    has any one had any luck with the 7.3 powerstroke mystery???
    Im having the same problem when trying to just read it. I need a stock file for it and i wanted to save the file it has now just in case.
    if the truck is on it will cut off im guessing it dose that from the factory , but when i try to read it it fails and something with vin so it tried to give
    one like 999999 any help i just want to put it to stock thank you.

Advanced Tuner
    You need to flash the computer with Ford OEM software and a Ford compatible tool. During that flashing process you NEED to input the correct VIN. The mongoose Ford2 tool works great. After that you will be able to read and flash with HPT. You will still not be able to use the HPT scanner though(unless it is fixed in the new 4.12 release, but I highly doubt it).

You will honestly be better off using Minotaur software and a hydra for tuning. HPT is missing a substantial amount of parameters, but may suffice for some small changes. FORScan is the best logging software I know of for this platform(it does NOT work with HPT devices), not sure what SCT or Banks offer for scanning though, never looked into them.