Thread: ISO Audi/VW (or GDI car) test subject tired of doing intake carbon cleanings!

Tuner

ISO Audi/VW (or GDI car) test subject tired of doing intake carbon cleanings!

The title pretty much says it.

I've been doing Cerakoting for firearms and auto parts for a while now. Everything from $5k Surgeon Rifles to corroded support members from Northern states cars (i.e. Road Salt!).

I just took apart my motor after using their Anti-detonation Coating and was pleasantly surprised by the result the results. I figured it'd have been burned off by now, but it looks pretty close to the day I put them in the pot!

I'm going to do a bit more now... They have some other products that I think could help our cars (ANY GDI CAR!!!) in terms of preventing or at least limiting the build up on the valves and in the intake port.

Here's the pitch!

I'll supply the labor and materials to Kote a full set of valves for someone doing a build if you pay for shipping the valves. The caveat.... you can't have a catch can, or if you do, I need to see that you still have an issue with build-up. I know a catch can is not an end-all-be-all (hasn't been on mine!) so this might help prove it.

If you want to go all in and you have the head(s) off of the car... I'll Kote your entire intake port (Valve, Head, Flap and Separator, if present) area if your cover shipping the head(s). The same caveat as above... trying to find out if the effort is worth it for a known issue!

Just as an explanation, Cerakote is what is on 60% of the firearms sold today. It's a thin film coating, usually about 0.003" in thickness, or so thin you can still see machining grooves in what ever you Kote.

Corrosion Protection: https://youtu.be/x4iD7obxEqg
    Durability: https://www.facebook.com/Cerakote/vi...1878193504727/

It's some pretty damn amazing stuff and I am eager to see if it rises to this occasion as well!

If interested, DM me and we can work out details on an inspection schedule with pics to document out the process and results!

Thanks!

Ken

What the pistons looked like before and after...

2018-04-18 07.28.31.jpg2018-04-18 07.28.16.jpg2018-04-16 22.07.48.jpg

and after 30k miles! (A few minutes with a rag and some brake cleaner.)

Cerakote Piston Coating.jpg20200726_131231.jpg

The head and some of the other parts done at the same time I rebuilt the motor.

20180519_145033.jpg20180519_211437.jpg

To show you it retains details... here is the lettering on a slide after Cerakoting. Still perfectly legible!

Glock Cerakote.jpg

Tuner in Training
    Whats up with doing turbine housings? The first thing ive ever cerekoted was a turbine housing. I didnt know what i was doing and the prep wasnt right so mine flaked off over time. But I bet it would be good for that.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauce118 View Post
    Whats up with doing turbine housings?
    What do you mean... What's up with doing it? Beyond the base protections and thermal properties, I like the way it looks... forever!

I hate when you get nice new parts... install them... and first oil spill later they look like the car is from the turn of the century! So I Kote things to make them stay looking pretty for as long as possible! Both the turbine and compressor housings got Koted and they look brand new despite 900C temps and a stuborn oil leak!

Just a little soap and water and they look like the day I installed them!

This particular thread is about Koting the internals. Valves, pistons, intake ports and intake components. Their MicroSlick works pretty awesome on my suppressors. It doesn't eliminate build up, but it does make cleaning it up a snap! I am hoping for the same effect on our common enemy, Carbon Build-up. If the Slick helps keep the build-up to a minimum then there are options. If it doesn't, I have some pretty parts and some mildly ported heads, under a carbon coat!

Cheers!

Ken