Thread: Can RaceRender be used to cut a section of video out of the middle?

Potential Tuner

Can RaceRender be used to cut a section of video out of the middle?

Can't find this anywhere. Can RaceRender cut a section of video out of the middle? Like removing a section of a race with a long full course yellow flag? I'd really like to be able to fade to black, add some text that says something like "Skipping ahead to the Restart" and fade back into the race. I'm using front and rear cameras and syncing the rear camera video into main video using picture in picture. I'd like to be able to cut our yellow flags (full course cautions) while I'm putting the project together.

Thanks!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by turnnpoint View Post
    Can't find this anywhere. Can RaceRender cut a section of video out of the middle? Like removing a section of a race with a long full course yellow flag? I'd really like to be able to fade to black, add some text that says something like "Skipping ahead to the Restart" and fade back into the race. I'm using front and rear cameras and syncing the rear camera video into main video using picture in picture. I'd like to be able to cut our yellow flags (full course cautions) while I'm putting the project together.

Thanks!
    I suppose it would be possible but very difficult to do so. I think you would need to import a second copy of component: video, data, etc. and re-synchronize them at the second starting point. RaceRender is really good at aggregating data for a single video but not good at typical video editor tasks.

Alternatively, I would recommend that you just render two separate videos in RaceRender for the green flag sections and then combine them in a video editor (such as Davinci Resolve; somewhat complicated at first, but very powerful and also free). A true video editor is going to give you much better options for removing sections, transitioning between them, and displaying a title in between.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks HoboBob! I bought a perpetual lic for AVS4YOU a long while ago and have played with it a bit but I might try Davinci Resolve too. Are there any other relatively inexpensive general editors that will run well on a good quality general use laptop you'd recommend to augment RaceRender? Have you ever used AVS4YOU? It seems a little quirky to me.

Advanced Tuner
    I used Sony Vegas about a decade ago, but I haven't really tried anything other than Davinci recently. If I ever got stuck trying to do something, I found that there were always several YouTube videos on how to do exactly what I wanted though. AVS4YOU would probably work since you're looking for something pretty simple, but I'm not sure how much support is available for it.

OpenShot might also be worth looking into.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by turnnpoint View Post
    Are there any other relatively inexpensive general editors that will run well on a good quality general use laptop you'd recommend to augment RaceRender?
    Shotcut is pretty good for a free video editor. If you have unusual requirements, FFMPEG is an open-source command-line program that is tricky to learn, but can do some very powerful things that normal video editors cannot -- like 60x speedup (i.e. show an hour of driving in 1 minute), combining 6 or 8 individual video streams, all kinds of format conversions, etc.

Potential Tuner
    Video editing software: Free options like DaVinci Resolve or HitFilm Express, or paid options like Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro.