Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2.2 Ecotec tuning

THX712517

2.2 Ecotec tuning

I know this is mentioned a lot in the I4 etc forum and a lot of officials have been bugged/asked, but please consider tuning for the 2.2 Ecotec in the '03-'07 Ion chassis. I understand there were some PCM issues with the early cars that makes it somewhat difficult to release a single tune, but look at some of the threads and posts and you'll realize that people are looking at $1,900 standalone computer systems in an attempt to tune their cars.

The number of people looking for tuning support is great, especially for the '03-'04 cars as they're either paid off or just about getting there, freeing up considerable cash for modifications. There is one thread that was started 04/02/2004 and has reached 5 pages, 92 replies, and 5,301 views. There is another thread, started 08/17/2006 that has accumulated 45 replies and 661 views. There is staying power in these requests, there are serious customers asking for support.

If you can consider tuning, I would be incredibly grateful and one of your first customers, cash in hand, ready to buy it as soon as it comes out.

ionjentzsch
    I would have to agree with THX12517. There is a lot of desire to see tuning available for the 2.2 Ecotec in the 03-07 range. I peresonaly have a 04 Ion sedan and would love a quality and reasonably priced tuning option.

The few options I have seen are also expensive, and others are, well should we say, not of high quality.

With the statistics the THX has dug up to suport his request, I add my request to be considered for tuning options for the 2.2 Ecotec.

Potential Tuner
    I also have to agree with the two above posts. As Ions are continuing to be purchased and production is being extended, a large demand for these great cars is imminent. There are plenty of people out there who modify the 2.2 in their Ion and are finding that they need a quality tune to take their performance to the next level. As THX said above, spending anywhere in the area of $1900 for a standalone ECU for their car is most likely out of the question. People everywhere with these engines are looking at you guys, HPTuners, to help us out with a good tune simply because your reputation speaks for itself: your company offers exceptional service and performance at a great value. Please consider the possibility of developing some type of tune for these cars. Keep in mind that the demand is growing for 2.2 support, and a solution to the problem would likely be very lucrative and extremely innovative.

Potential Tuner
    I agree with THX. he has done the research and I've seen his level of dedication on other forums. He knows his stuff and is right that there is a good deal of people willing to invest in their Ions. I think alot of people think to highly of Ions, but they are great cars. The 2.2 Ecotec is an engine that has so much to offer, but is held back. Any help in unlocking the Ecotec's true potential would be greatly appreciated by the community of Ion owners looking to make their car their own.

Opel Vectra's come in a 2.2L Ecotec.. i'm in!

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram

Tuner
    As an aftermarket supercharged Ion 2.2L... I'm one of the ones looking at a ~$2k standalone by spring if there are no other options.

Tuner in Training
    i agree, 2.2 support would be great!

Potential Tuner
    I agree with everyone in this thread please tune the 2.2L Ecotec

Potential Tuner
    Something that has been proven is that the Ecotec engine is full of potential. However, without proper tuning equipment it might as well be under lock and key.

We have marginal aftermarket support that does give us options. Options that can help us meet out goals. But that is only part of the equation. You all know what that equation is, but the main goal will always be more power.

For some of us, its the power to just have some fun. For others, its the power to make their passenger scared ****less, not to mention themselves. One of the ultimate funs. An adrenaline rush that is like no other.

Problem is this, we may have the ability to go to FI, but only to a point. Then, regretfully, engine management comes into play. Which as we all know, is no small matter. That is when, hopefully, HP Tuners will be there to back us.

Potential Tuner
    Please give support as there is many 2.2's finishing their warrently and looking for aftermarket upgrades.

Tuner in Training
    So the E16A ECM is a weird one, we understand. But there are 4 ECM's in the different Chevy Cobalt models, and HP Tuners supports 3 of them already, and they even already support the TCM's of the Automatic cars. Please support the E16A. It's just logical for a complete software suite.

Potential Tuner
    i just got a supercharger for my 06 2.2l cobalt and was very sad to find out there is no way to calibrate the car for the supercharger. can i install s/c and still drive car as daily driver or will it damage my car running it without proper calibration .
    -please help i cant wake up every morning seeing this supercarger on my desk

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    thanks guys for the input we know theres a market there but no real timeframe as of yet.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy1280
    i just got a supercharger for my 06 2.2l cobalt and was very sad to find out there is no way to calibrate the car for the supercharger. can i install s/c and still drive car as daily driver or will it damage my car running it without proper calibration .
    -please help i cant wake up every morning seeing this supercarger on my desk
    you can slap it on. if it's the Eaton M62 (as found on the Ion redline / cobalt SS/SC), you can go into your dealer and they'll flash it w/ the supercharger map it wants. However if you want HPT (and think it's actually going to get done), DO NOT get it flashed at the dealer! As this locks out HPT's software i'm told. Up to you whether or not you want to wait for HPT, or git 'er done now.

So if you want HPT, you can put on the blower, but you will need some sort of setup to add fuel at higher boost - how much PSI are you going to be pushing?

I can tell you what I've done w/ my setup, or you can go to redlineforums.com and look it up. PM me if you want more information. The biggest problem is the ECU freaks out from 1-~3psi and adds so much fuel i'm at 9-10:1 AFR right now
    Last edited by bc3tech; 11-02-2006 at 01:17 PM.

Tuner
    YES!!! WOOOOHOOOOO LETS SEE THE SUPPORT FOR THE 2.2L guys

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by bc3tech
    you can slap it on. if it's the Eaton M62 (as found on the Ion redline / cobalt SS/SC), you can go into your dealer and they'll flash it w/ the supercharger map it wants...
    Incorrect. The Cobalt's ECM will not work with the flash that you are speaking of. It is only for the J-bodies.

Potential Tuner
    The Saturn tuner world is still left out. No matter I'll keep running Saturns without the help of HP.

Tuner in Training
    guys it took a LONG time for the jbody people to get hpt support, you'll all have to wait. I'm sure HP knows theres a market, but i'm prettysure they have alot of other stuff they're working on besides just saturn 2.2 support.
    2000 Chevy Cavalier (being completed)
    1987 Dodge D150 Turbocharged Slantsix EFI!

Potential Tuner
    Yes please consider HPTuners for the 2.2 Ecotec tuning, it would be great tuning for the Ion community.

Thx

Potential Tuner
    I would also be interested in more support for the ION 2.2. Anything that would give my Baby some more HP.
    Thank You